Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starcraft87
May 16, 2009
I have a local tax question. I live in PA, but I think this is more of a theory question than something specific to my location.

Mid-way through 2010, I moved from a township that charges 1% income tax to one that charges no income tax. However I did not update my address formally in any capacity (drivers license, etc) since I was renting month-to-month and living with the owner.

When I filed my taxes, I thought since my drivers license address didn't change, and I see that as the government's primary ID, that I wouldn't be able to show I moved halfway through the year. I already paid the full 1% for the year, however I'm thinking that was very stupid and I should submit an adjustment to get $300-$400 back.

I do have a very informal paper that I am calling my "lease" agreement with the owner's signature and my signature on it, so I think that would hold as legal proof. And I could go back to the person I was living with and get something more official notarized stating that I lived there if necessary.

I'm wondering if there is any reason I wouldn't want to submit an adjustment, or if there are any other consequences I should consider? I mean I did submit an incorrect tax form, however I didn't understand my ability to prove my location of residence. I honestly did live in the other township for half the year, so I see an adjustment as being the right thing to do.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU