Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so mine is a pretty simple question, I just hope the answer is straight forward:

This is my first year filing my taxes with my wife and i. For the most part our taxes are all straight forward W2s, just plug it into Turbo tax and done. We also have our forms to file our student loans as well, pretty straight forward there.

My wife worked every Sunday as a Church organist at a Church in New Jersey (we live in PA) and she also did a 2 month internship. Both are 1099 MISC. Naturally, we were irresponsible and did not save any receipts, although we both use almost exclusively credit/debit card and rarely use cash. So we could dig up a paper trail of sorts if needed.

More specifically, her weekly church job was a 70 mile trip each way, which i would think is beyond normal commuting. Can I file the mileage, and if so what paperwork do i need prepared to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

furushotakeru posted:

When you leave your house and travel to your first job site for the day, that is a commute and is non deductible regardless of how many miles it is.

Ugh, I wish they could consider stoping at McDonalds for coffee as a first site.

Oh well, I appreciate the heads up. I'll just file my return and be done with it then.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I've had a few changes at once for this year (2013) so I figure I might as well start doing research now on if I need to change how I file (currently jointly through turbo tax).

My income: 60K

My wife's income: probably $15K this year, she worked part time while going to school.

My wife got her masters degree in September. So final year of schooling. I assume I still get a tax deduction for that?

I have a 401k through work, and a Roth where extra money goes.

Itemized probably still is a no go for us, I don't have any work related expenses. Just curious on the best way to file, be it joint or listing her as a dependent, whether I can get a deduction for investments, etc?

Oh, I live in Philadelphia and we both work in state.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 12, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I forget if I asked this here or not, so I'll just ask again:

I lived in Philadelphia until Sept 1st, then relocated to outside the city. So I no longer should have to pay Philly's 2% higher income tax.

My work has yet to fix my paycheck so it stops withholding for Philly taxes, so I have been overpaying on taxes since September. I usually use turbo tax to file my taxes. Any idea if I will have any issues with it picking up this discrepancy, or is it pretty clear cut?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So for the past few years I have filed married jointly with my wife, used turbo tax, kept it simple. We both just get a W2 from our jobs.

This year we are trying to reduce her student loan payments from her masters, because she is going to be full time working for the county, so we can file for IBR for her loans.

Apparently to have only her income factored in (which would lower our monthly), we have to file married separately.

Is this something I should be involving an actual tax person with? How big of a difference is filing for joint vs separate?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So the new Dem billed that passed involves waiting taxes on unemployment income for 2020. Which we had. And i of course try to be proactive and file my taxes early, so of course I already paid the Fed these now waived taxes.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/2020-jobless-benefits-tax-exempt-10200-explained/story?id=76562876

“Should those Americans who have already filed taxes without knowing about the $10,200 exemption file an amended return?

"Absolutely not," the head of the Internal Revenue Service Charles Rettig said in testimony on Capitol Hill Thursday.

"We believe we’re sensitive to the situation that people are in. We believe that we will be able to handle this on our own. We believe that we will be able to automatically issue refunds associated with the $10,200," Rettig told lawmakers.

It may mean that Americans who did take the tax break will have to wait for any refund they're entitled to as the IRS works to process a huge backlog. Retting told Congress he hopes to have the backlog processed by "summer." “

So, ok, it looks like I’ll get an automatic refund from the Fed, and I guess it’ll just possibly take until the summer time. But if anyone knows more, please let me know.

The article says some states are waiving their taxes but doesn’t go into which ones. Has anyone seen anything on how individual states are handling this cluster gently caress ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone answer quick here: what’s the threshold where you can start getting fined if you owe the US too much at tax time?

….asking for a friend (apparently we need to check our withholdings , rip).