Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
I will probably be corrected on this, but I believe that a scholarship or fellowship grant that was not reported to you on a Form W-2 is not considered earned income for the earned income credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
It seems odd, but according to the IRS instructions for the 1040, the taxable part of a scholarship not reported on a W-2 is reported on line 7,and on the dotted line to the left of the amount box, "SCH" is entered. SO, basically, any part of the scholarship used to pay for living expenses is included on your 1040.

Does that mean it's exempt from the withholding taxes?

source: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/students/article/0,,id=96674,00.html under How to Report

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
Wasn't there a 2% reduction in employee side social security tax this year? I had done a few quarterly payments this year and noticed that several employers were withholding too much money from employees wages, attributable to using 6.2% instead of 4.2% for this year. Of course, everyone who was doing this were doing their own payroll and not using Paychex or ADP.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

Yes

SOMEONE'S GONNA GIT IT.

Also, did they make any changes to the phase out for the American Opportunity Credit this year? If not, I think I may have found a misprint in my CPA review materials. :(

Oceanlife posted:

I'm interested in learning about US taxes on international companies so I'd welcome recommendations to websites or books. Here's the kind of question I'd be looking to have the knowledge to answer.

Your client is an American citizen. He runs a company that does various technical consulting for other companies. So for instance a company may give him their sales data and his team of economists will determine how the prices should be adjusted to maximize their profits. He finds that his company can do their job regardless of the physical location.

He asks if he expatriated to the Cayman Islands and established a corporation there would he still be liable for US Taxes.

Now first, I actually am interested in the answer to that sample question if you know it. But more importantly I where I can get the knowledge to answer questions like that aside from grinding through IRS.gov.

This won't specifically answer your question, but here's a short article on "The Global Tax Dance" by Edward D. Kleinbard. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/edward-d-kleinbard/the-global-tax-avoidance-_b_843318.html

And here is a lenghty paper on more! http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1791769

rentilius fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 5, 2011

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Gives-Additional-Time-to-Taxpayers-and-Preparers-Affected-by-Hurricane-Sandy;-File-and-Pay-by-Nov.-7

Posting from a phone but I thought this would be relevant.

The Internal Revenue Service today announced it is granting taxpayers and tax preparers affected by Hurricane Sandy until Nov. 7 to file returns and accompanying payments normally due today.

Additionally,

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/multi/sandy_relief.htm

The MCTMT protective claim deadline has also been extended.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

furushotakeru posted:

It's even worse in NJ, as they tax health insurance and flexible spending account contributions that are pre-tax for federal income tax, FICA, and Medicare purposes.

:psyduck:

Benefits provided under Section 125 plans being taxable in New Jersey is one of many little quirks of NJ State law. For example, we don't tax cancellation of debt income. At all. It's completely exempt from state tax in New Jersey.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
Also, I don't know if it was touched on, but the IRS has announced a simplified option for claiming the home office deduction. This new option can be, at max, $1,500. Additionally, you cannot use the pro-rated amount of home mortgage interest and real estate taxes on that section of the house. This may affect any alternative minimum tax liability, but that's always a crapshoot.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010
AbbiTheDog did you take that straight from CCH

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

sellouts posted:

Quick question regarding deductions.

I have a full time job with a W2.

I also have a part time freelance gig that does not 1099 me, but I declare and pay taxes on that. I also take deductions for expenses related to that.

I want to take out a credit card for my freelancing and I would like to write off any fees towards having the credit card on my taxes as a business expense. It will be used for 100% freelance expenses and nothing personal. Can I do this? And do I need to get a business Amex or can it be a regular Amex?

If you take out a credit card and use it for your business, no matter what type of Amex you get, for gods sakes please keep all of your receipts.

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

Dragyn posted:

In a similar vein, what sort of thing do you see get inquired/audited often? I always claim a few hundred in non-cash donations, but I never get receipts. I'm always afraid I'm gonna get a letter one day.

I've started seeing more and more audits on charitable deductions.

But really the biggest triggers are multi-year Schedule-C losses and 2106 expenses

rentilius fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rentilius
Apr 21, 2010

SixtySix posted:

Guys, I just got an unexpected tax bill for $15,000 that I'm not sure is correct. The particulars touch upon a promissory note that I signed with a former employer to the tune of approximately $48,000. I left the firm that I was working with and arbitration years later resulted in that amount be rewarded to the firm, which I later discharged in bankruptcy (in 2011).

Today I got a letter imputing that $48,000 as taxable. I am freaking out right now for a lot of reasons that I would prefer to discuss over PMs. It's 9pm here and I can't call an attorney and I don't know how I'm going to make it through the night. Please help.

I have little experience with this but my research tells me that debt that was discharged in bankruptcy is non-taxable. If you read the following IRS publication, it talks about excluding debt that is canceled in a bankruptcy case under Title 11.

Source: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p525/ar02.html#d0e4790

Gather up the documentation supporting your claim that it was discharged in bankruptcy. You will probably end up drafting up a quick letter explaining what the situation is, letting them know the full story. They're usually pretty good about abating penalties, too.