Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~
When do trusts have to legally send K-1 forms out by? I still haven't gotten mine and it's peeving me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

AbbiTheDog posted:

Depends on what month the trust ends on (maybe December, maybe not). If it's a December year-end, you might not get your K-1 until september, and they've got the legal right to do so.

Ask the trustee to check with their CPA and get an estimate.

Does that mean I'm going to need to get an extension, or what?

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Kwik posted:

You could always file without the K-1 and amend later once you receive it, depending on what sort of an effect that the K-1 will have on the return. Remember though, the extension is only an extension to file, not to pay. If you are going to owe, you do have to pay that by April 18th, lest you owe penalties and/or interest.

I know at this point that without the K-1, I won't have to file. I'm pretty close to the limit, though (I've made about 8.5k in scholarships and stuff, not W-2 income per se but still taxable). So if the K-1 on a 50k irrevocable trust puts me above 9.5k (or whatever it is this year), then I will have to file. So it's sort of a sticky situation.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

AbbiTheDog posted:

Depends on whether the trust is "simple" or "complex" (this can change from year to year). Also depends on how much in withdrawals were taken during the year that would "push out" the trust income to your personal return.

Well, I received a one-time deposit for $50,000 last year from the trust, around July. I receive these deposits every three years after my eighteenth birthday. The actual trust itself is in the $200,000 range, I think - does that lump sum amount (the $50,000) count as income with either a simple or a complex trust? Or would it only be a fraction of that amount?