Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
Question that's been hounding me for a couple years, that I was reminded of by reading the OP, plus a new issue I originally came here for:

I and my fiance (more on this question later) live in North Carolina and work just over the line in South Carolina. When I did my taxes for the first year I worked there, TurboTax showed that I was still owing money to North Carolina (something like $400-$500), even though I earned no money there. I ended up finding a screen in the North Carolina section that mentioned taxes paid to other states. It already had a number, but thinking I was doing the right thing, I included the whole amount of taxes I paid to South Carolina, thereby zeroing out the amount needing to be paid to NC. This worked for that year (2008) and 2009.

This February, I got suspicious. I'd done a bit of research and saw that something about NC and SC meant that I couldn't just write off the taxes paid to SC. So while doing my taxes through TurboTax again, I contacted one of the TT professionals they advertise. The guy contacted me back a day later or so and informed me that I was going to end up paying North Carolina the ~$600 TT said I owed them, and that I can't just include the whole amount of taxes paid to SC on that one screen. So basically, I'm being hit double on my taxes.

Is this right? It doesn't seem right. Tax code generally makes sense to me, as its just balancing numbers, but this wrinkle just doesn't.

Question 2: As stated above, I have a fiance and we're getting married this year. I read somewhere that if we intend to file Married/Jointly next year, we should be changing our W-2s to show us as married right now, instead of after the wedding (October). Yes/no/wtf?

Thanks for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU