Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

The Scientist posted:

In y'all's opinions would it be advisable to claim that special $600 tax credit for people that didn't receive the additional stimulus but who know that they're eligible? Even if my 2019 taxes havent been processed by the time that I file for 2020?

Yes. The $600, like the $1200 before it, was an estimated prepayment of the credit that appears in the 2020 return. If you haven't gotten the $600 yet, the only way to get it is to claim it on the 2020 return.

Empty Whippet Box posted:

what....I have to file 2019 to get the $1400? I mean, we're going to, but that seems crazy to me. the 2020 return won't get that going? or do you just mean if the 2020 return gets audited? e: I'm pretty sure that's what you meant lol

Yeah, if the 2020 gets caught up in processing because something flagged, they won't be able to estimate your eligibility for the $1400. Then they would look for a 2019 return to estimate eligibility and pay it. If you miss out during this round of payments in the spring, you would have the ability to claim the $1400 as a credit on your 2021 return next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

The article says some states are waiving their taxes but doesn’t go into which ones. Has anyone seen anything on how individual states are handling this cluster gently caress ?

This is a summary my tax software put out https://kb.drakesoftware.com/Site/Browse/17148/State-Conformity-to-ARP-Unemployment-Compensation

If your taxable income at the state level will change from what you already filed you'll want to check your state's tax department to see if you need to amend or not. I'm in Nebraska, and I expect that we will have to amend Nebraska returns because Nebraska is following the federal on this, but Nebraska starts off by just importing the federal AGI and then making certain adjustments. So I don't think Nebraska revenue will know how much of your federal AGI came from unemployment to know how much it should be reduced. They haven't announced anything yet, so we're telling taxpayers to wait until after the deadline before we try to amend anything.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

freezepops posted:

What's the correct way to fill out line 7 on form 1040 if you do not have any capital gains?

I have none, so I put 0 into the entry column and check the box indicating that I do not need to file a schedule D or form 8000 whatever but my return is getting rejected with an error citing my AGI is wrong (I double checked that, it is entered correctly) or line 7 on form 1040 is incorrect because the box is checked.

Am I supposed to not enter anything into the column instead of a 0? When doing this by hand I have always entered -0- for null entries, but that doesn't seem to be an option with free filing.

Don't check the box. That box means you have capital gains but you qualify for the exception that you don't have to complete schedule D (e.g., your only line 7 income is reported to you on a 1099-div).

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

HIJK posted:

This is a very simple question that's also mildly embarrassing so I hope the thread enjoys this.

Someone I met in a Discord server has expressed interest in commissioning me to write a romance story/potential erotica. We would be exchanging money through Venmo or Paypal, haven't decided which. I can't imagine this topping $50. I don't have any self employment experience and I have been unemployed since March 2020. (I haven't given up on looking for jobs.)

Should I file this on my taxes next year, even if it's a one time thing? I tried looking it up online and the consensus appears to be that the threshold is $400 for reporting...however this appears to be for full fledged businesses and not for a hobby thing. I looked at reporting hobby income and the IRS appears to want you to file even if you only made $1. Is this the case? Is there a threshold for reporting random erotica commissions as income or do you just report it all and pray?

Alternatively, if I continued with cheap romance/erotica commissions (yes the majority of them would be fanfiction) through out the year, am I in danger of accidentally becoming a business?

This doesn't really fall under the purview of self/vanity publishing or writing for Amazon Kindle and I obviously wouldn't receive any tax documents from my client(s).

The IRS uses a nine-factor test to determine if something is a hobby or a business https://www.irs.gov/faqs/small-business-self-employed-other-business/income-expenses/income-expenses

If this is the only time you'll get a commission for your writing, it is likely a hobby, and you can just list the total amount you got paid as "other income" on Schedule 1. If you keep doing these commissions, it is very possible that it becomes a business and you'll have to start listing it on Schedule c and tracking and deducting your expenses.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Hi guys I was told to repost here

I fell into becoming the president of my condo's HOA because everyone else either quits or can't be trusted with it. I know absolutely nothing about running an HOA but I'm here because I'm the person the least amount of people have a problem with I guess

We are in Los Angeles

We have a gardener who is the father in law of one of the residents. We get a great rate from him, $180/month when most others quote us $250

My treasurer is refusing to pay him several months of invoices because he won't provide a W9. Maybe the gardener is undocumented, maybe he's avoiding taxes, I dunno and I kinda won't want to know.

Is not providing a W9 a dealbreaker? Are paycheck stubs enough evidence that we paid him? Can we just fill out a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC and say "REFUSED" where it asks for a tax ID or something?

I want to settle this amicably for everyone. The treasurer refused to pay him for several months and let him keep cutting our grass which feels like acting in bad faith.

What do you guys think?

You and the treasurer should read up on Backup Withholding https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/backup-withholding. The basic idea is that if he refuses to give his ID number on the W-9 or otherwise, you withhold 24% of his payment and send it in to the IRS through the backup withholding program.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Fuckers.

(thanks for the advice, I'll snail mail & pay now.)

Your amended return will probably process sooner if you wait and e-file in January when it opens again instead of mailing the return now.

Still pay now.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011
Volunteer with the VITA or TCE programs and use their software to file your return, while supporting your community.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-tax-volunteers

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Have to do it in 2023 since it’s a return for a full tax year. You can’t file early because what would happen if you did another gift later in the year?

Question of my own, especially for any of the IRS commentators in the thread. If someone keeps having their dependents falsely claimed by someone else, they can file for an IP-PIN for the dependent(s) to stop that, right? I assume being falsely claimed is the type of fraud those numbers are supposed to stop after all.

Yes https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

SadBag posted:

On the 1040-X, do I just need to put in the correct amount that should have had returned to me on line 21 (the "This is the amount overpaid on this return" line), and then they'll return that along with the money I paid when I thought I had underpaid?

No, list the additional amount you paid on line 16, line 17 should be the total of your withholdings and the payment you incorrectly made with your original return. Line 21 should be the total amount they're going to send you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

drk posted:

Does anyone know how the IRS determines 30C eligibility for credits on installing EV chargers?

There is an unofficial map that shows me as eligible, but a mile in any direction is ineligible. I live in an area that is low income compared to the county but extremely high income compared to the country.

Notice 2024-20 identifies which census tracts are qualified. The form instructions have a worksheet that walks through determining if your location is eligible.