Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
EITC refunds don't even get issued until Feb 15th so you may as well wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Pay as you go is a totally valid method if there is no reasonable way to estimate it. Just pay them as you get paid, not forgetting the self employment tax, and they will be totally happy.

I don't think they will ever be 'happy' but they will not focus their ire on you, at least, if you do that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I usually have an uncomplicated tax situation (single, modest income, rent, no other sources of income, only investment for 2023 was a traditional IRA) but last year my grandmother passed and left me her half of the house which she co-owned with my father (I'm in New York City and so is the house, but I do not live in the house nor do I ever intend to). Do I need someone to prepare my taxes for me or can I just use freetaxusa or turbotax?

She gave it to me via a deed transfer with retained life estate (called a life estate deed in some states) so it didn't go through probate or a will and was automatically transferred to me upon her death in September if that matters. I've had to pay for half of the third and fourth quarterly 2023 property taxes and shared utilities if that makes a difference.

Pub 525 posted:

In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance isn't included in your income. However, if property you receive this way later produces income such as interest, dividends, or rents, that income is taxable to you.

I.E. it's not taxable income when you inherit it but when you sell/rent it that income is taxable.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I haven't done either yet (like many old people, she was a bit of a hoarder so I'm still clearing the place out when I have free time) so I should be good to self-file like I usually do?

Yeah. Just make a note of the value of the house as of the day you inherited it. That will be the 'basis', i.e., the cost you 'paid' for the house when it comes time to calculate your total profit.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

How long does it take to show that your tax return was processed in your online IRS account?

At the moment, it is still showing up as "Your 2023 Tax Return Is Not Processed". I have some taxes due and want to pay via my online IRS account and wondering if I should wait until it is processed or I can pay already. I e-filed it with an online tax software.

If you owe your return isn't processed until either 1) it is paid in full or 2) June-ish

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
You should already know the total amount since it was on your return, penalties and interest don't start accumulating until April 15th so if you wait until you get the bill in June you will have to pay extra.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

Isn’t it not a tax free transfer until it’s actually an inheritance ie until the person passes away?

Yeah there's no taxes on gifts or inheritances as long as the lifetime total is below the threshold which varies from time to time but is several millions of dollars high.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I was filling out my taxes and got a notification that there was an error in my W-2; apparently my SSA withholding was $14 dollars more than it should have been. I notified my employer to get a corrected W-2. Since then there has been a constant rolling promise the new one would be available soon. Last week they finally told me it would be 3-6 weeks to receive the corrected W-2c. I had originally notified them of the mistake the last week of February. This seems pretty unreasonable to me, particular as it means I might be right up on the deadline to file.

Is this an acceptable or typical timeline? Can I bring any real pressure to bear on the payroll company? It seems like you can tell the IRS to call your employer, but I don't know if that would actually speed up the process.

If the only mistake is the SSA withholding it should only be an issue if you are over the max withholding, in which case you'd get $14 back if you amended your return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

On the brighter side the current admin pushed through a major IRS funding increase and they’ve fought to protect it tooth and nail; IRS also got to begin the long fabled process of setting up free filings, which can eventually undercut and kill off the preparer interests that make everything about the tax system suck.

The free filing project is neat but the funding increase doesn't seem to have resulted in a hiring increase.