Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I feel like my taxes should be pretty simple, considering I have one (1) salary job, don't own a house or anything.

Anyway I've started trying to use TurboTax, but it seems convinced that I received a refund last year, when in fact I owed money (and yes I finally just submitted a W-4 which is apparently why I have owed taxes the last few years :capitalism:)

I live in NYC, so I'm assuming that's why there's some fuckery (federal, state, local?)

I can't find any proof that I was given a refund, but TurboTax seems to think I did. Not sure if it matters. Should I just continue and pay the amount it says I owe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

drk posted:

Do you not have a copy of last year's tax return?

I do. It says that I owed money last year. Not get a refund

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
In an effort to not have to owe money for 2024, I'd like to update my W-4 (which I just learned from this thread I should have been doing annually).

I was paid the same rate as last year for Jan - end of March but I got a promotion starting April 1 which means my income increased. The tax withholding estimator from the irs uses recent paystub and ytd pay for estimating. Any tips on how much I should increase my withholding?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

H110Hawk posted:

You should only need to update it any time you have a change in circumstances. If you are single income, all w-2, it should be set it and forget it until you <get married, have kids, sell taxable stocks, get a second income (remember getting married?)>

What is different about your situation from pre-raise? Was your w-4 setup correctly? Are dual income?

Nothing has changed circumstance wise since I started at this job in 2018 except for annual raises and occasional promotions. (ie my income has gone up each year, which is expected).

However, I somehow end up owing taxes each year which means they're not withholding enough. All I want to figure out is how to not owe taxes next year 😭

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Quixzlizx posted:

Do you have any other sources of income, like interest from a savings account? Because your W-4 isn't going to take those into account.

No, no other sources of income. I'm not trying to overpay so I get a refund, just trying to avoid the annual huge tax bill. If that's normal, that's fine I just didn't know.

The idea of putting the money in a high yield savings account is a good idea. Any advice on which one?

Like is this normal?

AnonymousNarcotics fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Almost all of that is state taxes. You aren't far off on Federal. You should check your state tax withholdings specifically.

I didn't know there were separate elections. I just checked and for some reason it didn't have me listed as a resident of NYC on the IT-2104 which is probably why this was so off. Just fixed. Thanks