Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

"I just saved your ass... with MONOPOLY!"
I accidentally claimed the Lifetime Earning Credit when I didn’t meet the requirements. First year ever doing taxes and used FreeTaxUSA. I didn’t take any courses in 2023 but had a late fee from my fall 2022 housing contract ($600 even) that carried over and I paid in August. They gave me a 1098T for it and so I entered it (alongside my university me info) when prompted.

The return I filed checks ‘no’ for ‘being enrolled at least half-time’ but then continues to claim the lifetime earning credit, with $66 nonrefundable education credits.

Will they just have me file an amended return and call it even? Sorry for being pretty uneducated about this.

barclayed fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

Uthor posted:

Do it.

Do NOT parachute out of the plane with a briefcase full of money, only for nobody to hear from you again.

this warning comes too late; turns out op is actually db cooper.

barclayed
Apr 15, 2022

This is my first year filing taxes. Filed through FreeTaxUSA on Jan. 27th, was accepted on the 29th I believe, but 'where's my refund' has been sitting on the 'being processed' screen ever since. Towards the end of February, I created an account on irs.gov and realized they'd been waiting on me to receive an identity verification letter that I hadn't received yet, so I made sure my address was correct on my tax return (it was) and requested a new letter. It still hasn't shown up. Should I call? Getting a little anxious since it's less than a month until the deadline and I filed early.