Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I need to mail in form 8606 separate from the tax return I already filed. I can't seem to find an address to mail it to though. Where do I find this? I'm in PA if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

I'm mailing it separately, as I have already filed my return months ago.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Pinkied_Brain posted:

So, my company is giving out RSUs (so basically stock) as compensation bonuses. And in the schwab website (through which they process it) there is an option of how to handle the stock awards, and the default option is "sell for taxes".

I noticed that my first award of 25 stocks become just 14, as 11 of them were sold for taxes.

Is there a better way for me to do this? Like would keeping the stocks for longer result in better tax rates somehow or is this something that I just have to pay no matter what just like my salary?

I (and many many others) strongly believe that you should not hold stocks in the company you work for. 100% of your income is already tied to the performance of that company, and tying up even more assets to its performance is extremely risky. So selling them for taxes is good in that it already reduces some of that exposure. I don't know how long you have to hold before you can sell the rest but I always do so ASAP.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Bojanglesworth posted:

I ended up going with 3 federal and 2 State on my W2 today when I filled out paperwork. Hopefully this works out well.

Also, I technically have three jobs, the third one I have worked at since 2007 and I only make a couple hundred dollars per month (sometimes I will make about $1,000 but 90% of the time I make just a couple hundred,) is it screwing me by having three jobs even if I don't make a lot of money?

I think if anything you may end up underwithheld and wind up owing come tax time.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
My girlfriend just received a notice from Maryland that her 2008 tax return she filed showed that the amount listed for the federal return was higher than the amount listed for the state return on that year, and now they want 700 bucks in back taxes. She doesn't have records from that far back. Is there any way we can get copies of those records? Or will she just have to suck it up and pay it?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Sharkface posted:

Many states (and the IRS) have a 3 year statute of limitations on tax return errors like this. Was this the return filed IN 2008 or FOR 2008?

It was for tax year 2008. Which is why I think they were sending it out now, to make it under the statute of limitations deadline.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
In Feb. 2011, I made my first ever backdoor Roth contribution for 2010. This means for my 2010 return I had to send form 8606 saying the 5000 that I put in the Trad IRA was non-deductible. But since it was done in calendar year 2011, the conversion to a roth didn't go on the 2010 form.

Now, for my 2011 form I've done another backdoor roth and converted it both in 2011.

So if I understand correctly, my basis in my Trad IRA for 2010 was 5000, and for 2011 I've then contributed another 5000 and converted it all to a Roth. Does that sound right? Have I screwed anything up?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

furushotakeru posted:

That's fine as long as you don't have any other balances in an IRA anywhere

Excellent. Nope, before 2010 I had done no tax-advantaged savings, and besides the Backdoor Roths the only other tax advantaged account I have is a 401k. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
So I've just realized that for years I think I haven't filled out any city tax paperwork, and it seems that I should have. However, our city tax is a flat rate, and I definitely didn't qualify for any deductions, so I probably don't actually owe anything because it was just taken out of my paycheck correctly. If I don't owe anything, what are the penalties for not having filed the paperwork?