Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

In other news, apparently we can deduct some charitable donations again, and I missed it when it happened last year, so that was a nice surprise.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/special-300-tax-deduction-helps-most-people-give-to-charity-this-year-even-if-they-dont-itemize

I was also surprised to learn that you can basically tick a box to take off $300. Now I need to track down evidence since I'm sure my Mint search for "charity" category won't cut it.

edit: Am I right in reading that you just have to have receipts on hand in case the IRS comes calling? Freetaxusa didn't ask me for receipts or anything like that when I ticked the $300 box.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

(My only complaint is that the “path” to entering a back door Roth happens in a weird order and makes it look like you have to pay taxes on it for a while.)

Yeah, this worried me until I looked back at last year's inputs to figure out why my 6k wasn't being subtracted yet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t see anything that could go wrong with that plan.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

What do I do if I’ve already fully-funded my Roth for 2021 then my income ends up over the contribution limit?

Separate question: if I cash out long-term stocks for a house downpayment, do the capital gains count as “income” toward the Roth limit?

1. You will have to tell your investment guy/website to recharacterize the 2021 contribution as a Trad IRA contribution instead of a Roth. Then after that clears, transfer it back and it will go into your 2021 taxes as a Trad IRA contribution and a backdoor Roth.

2. Income is income, capital gains will count towards the limit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

eddiewalker posted:

Is this something I can wait until tax time next year to take care of?

Presumably, because you won’t know your income until then. Or maybe it needs to be in the calendar year IDK.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think it means you don’t get penalized for significantly underpaying the first time it happens. Presumably they are aware that most people have no idea what the rules are about that until the year they end up inadvertently owing a lot and have to do some research to figure out why.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ the passive-aggressive accounting revenge

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Keep waiting for the letter with the EFTPS login number.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've used FreeTaxUSA for the last few years and have no complaints.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

Yup. If people compared their "Tax:" line on the 1040 year over year they would be less mystified. But they don't, they only pay attention to what's front and center on TurboBlock: Redund/Owe.

They should just check the spreadsheet and graph they have been keeping showing how these numbers have changed from year to year.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In the year 2022 we should all assume that our information is leaked and that there has been some identity theft thing that we haven't been told about.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I realize the IRS won't automatically have paperwork for self-repeorted income and all, but why can't the IRS have a portal where you can download forms (or at least numbers) for what they do have?

If it's a problem that people are estimating W-2 income in tax software then said software should straight-up be able to import it from an IRS-provided API.

Probably this kind of convenience is type of thing that H&R Block, Intuit, et al. spend so much money lobbying against.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Kiting checks is illegal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Dang that’s sneaky.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
This is why I try to make as little money as possible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
One weird trick, IRS hate it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can do a backdoor Roth for 2022 right now. Contribute to a Trad IRA (choosing 2022 when it asks you) then after that transaction clears in a few days find the button to transfer that money to your Roth IRA. You will have to pay taxes (next April) on any gains that you get while it is in the Trad IRA but that will be zero as long as you don't invest it for a while before transferring to the Roth. Not sure if you would do the 8606 form for 2022 or 2023 though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
freetaxusa.com (not a scam)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You may not get to deduct the original contribution, but the gains are tax-free. DO IT.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
RIP

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When you are a W-2 employee then your employer pays some tax for social security and Medicare for you. When they switch you to 1099 then they don’t have to pay that any more. Your new employer (you) has to pay it instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn’t having someone else set your hours one of the contraindicators of being a 1099?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think as long as you initial the edits you can insert as many "not"s into the tax form as you like.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

pmchem posted:

we tried both that and the online turbotax last year. online turbotax got us a lower tax bill and we weren't audited :shrug:

yet

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

This year is the first year I have an ESPP and I usually use Free Tax USA so this is good info.

The trick is to realize that the employer contribution (the free money) in your ESPP is double-counted in both your W2 and in the 1099 from your broker if they show discounted prices as the cost basis, so you have to add that number to the cost basis as an adjustment. My employer shows the number in the "other" box on my W2 but I don't know if that is standard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then you are fine because it won’t be double-counted I think. The gains on the 1099-B will be accurate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Depends on what the 1099 says when they send it to you in the year after you sell.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 27, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Post a link to the GoFundMe to go to their house and I will contribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Submitted my taxes early, feels good man.