Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Certified letter from the IRS? Nothing important *throws in trash*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

furushotakeru posted:

They typically target the middle year and then branch out if they find something. So they might pick 2009 and then expand to 2008 and 2010 if they find an error that they think might be recurring, such as lack of documentation to substantiate auto use, etc.(not that any of my clients would have any trouble documenting every business use mile they deducted of course).

So if it goes back to the third year prior then yes they often push past the 3 year SOL and then they hold a gun to the taxpayer's head and make them sign consent to extend the statute.

We are told coming onboard that the quickest way out the door is to blow a statute. You generally won't see an agent pick up a tax year for exam that has less than 7-8 months (if that) on the statute due to this, unless there is going to be a substantial dollar amount or compliance effect.

Also that thing about the timely filed (non-extended due date) returns is completely false.

edit: \/\/\/\/ Or is it? :tinfoil:

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 2, 2011

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pizer posted:

So what's the consensus with money made from trading bitcoins for USD?

I am eagerly waiting for this to become an audit issue. I'd imagine it would just get reported on Schedule D for most individuals. Better keep track of that basis!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Modified Decelerated Cost Appreciation System?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am sorry I literally killed this thread