Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I am a newbie small business owner. 2009 was a loss, 2010 we had a profit and I had not been filing any estimated tax because everything looked like it was going to be near break-even. I am going to be paying estimated tax for 2011.

Is there a disadvantage to increasing the withholding on my W-4 instead of filing estimated tax (1040-ES) quarterly? The withholding method seems like it would remove a quarterly headache from my life, but there must be some kind of downside, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

^^ I get a W-2 and a K-1.

AbbiTheDog posted:

No. In fact, it's better, because no matter when you make the withholding it's treated as being paid in all year, as opposed to the estimates, which are date-dependant.

Example: Come December, you find out you forgot your estimates (oh crap!). If you pay the 4th quarter estimate for the $10,000, you get nailed with underpayment interest for being underpaid all year.

You do the same $10,000 through your w-2, bingo! No interest charge. Same payment. IT'S TAX MAGIC

Wow. That sounds much better. Do I need to file new W-4(s) to raise/lower the withholding throughout the year or can I just withhold more/less as I feel is needed? I assume I need to make the withholding at least near what I come up with from the worksheet, or is that not necessary as long as I get the money in by the end of the year?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know the answer, but in your situation are you: getting a refund, waiting on bankruptcy proceedings, or giving up the money as a loss?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LorneReams posted:

More the reason to have an HSA (which is being gimped as well) :(

What is changing on for HSAs?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Limits dropping, and more exclusions.

Is this for 2013? When I searched for "HSA changes 2012" I found pages saying the individual contribution limit is increasing by $50.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

entris posted:

Hahahaha turns out that yes my client purchased several million dollars of Iraqi dinars ("million dollars" in Iraqi dinars, not US dollars).

Now I have to figure out the tax treatment if the dinars rise in value and she exchanges them for US dollars. Also I have to address how this investment will affect her estimated payments and whatnot.

Who the gently caress invests in Iraqi dinars?

LOL

A friend of mine bought $500 worth of dinar at some point, causing much laughter. I think he got it on ebay.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

Side note - underpayment penalties and interest are not that steep. You're dorking around to avoid a (usually) small charge with a huge potential for messing it up.

Is there any danger to getting an underpayment penalty every year? Like increased chance of audit or something?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

furushotakeru posted:

You have a near 100% chance of paying an underpayment penalty but there is no additional risk for audit that I am aware of.

To add to what Abbi said remember that if you are under 59 1/2 years old a retirement distribution is subject to a 10% federal penalty for early withdrawal, and most states penalize as well (2% in CA). If you miss that 60 day indirect rollover period you will pay that early withdrawal penalty which will be far larger than any underpayment penalty that you would be avoiding.

Ya, I'm not trying to do anything fancy with retirement accounts. I got an underpayment penalty last year and have been withholding more this year to avoid a penalty (in lieu of estimated payments). Turns out I withheld way too much because our profit is much lower this year. So my plan is to go back to normal withholding next year and just pay the penalty (gladly since we made a nice profit) if needed.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

Avoiding underpayment penalties doesn't need to be a guessing game.

I have been withholding enough to equal the amount from last year, as in "the total of your withholding and estimated tax payments was at least as much as your 2010 tax "

But, our tax from last year was higher than what it will be this year, so I have withheld more than I actually had to. If we had made a big profit this year, there would be no penalty. But, we didn't, so a bunch of my money is locked up at the IRS.

Am I mistaken about this?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

Most in your situation handle most of their withholding through a year end bonus of some flavor, though (as opposed to withholding evenly throughout the year).

Which is a good idea. I was worried about the situation where there wasn't enough cash flow to do it all at the end of the year and decided to spread the withholding out evenly over the year. I think I was planning on adjusting it if the outlook wasn't so good, but I never did until a couple weeks ago.

It seems like this whole thing just isn't really worth worrying about. My father just told me that he used to take the penalty every year and did no estimated tax or additional withholding.

:themoreyouknow:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

For our pass-through clients, if they are unsure of how their year is going to go we contact them in August so we can get the planning going and they can make their third and fourth quarter payments timely, and we can "catch up" the first two payments. As long as they haven't spent the money.

First, thanks everyone for the help.

Is this something that you would bring up or does the client have to request this type of service? I feel like our tax accountant acts like a machine that takes our books and some money and spits out a tax return. How proactive do I need to be? Should they be alerting us when we are doing things in the wrong way? Is there another category of "full service" accountants I should be looking for?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My K-1 from my S-corp includes a general business credit from the Small Business Healthcare Tax Credit. The value of the credit is larger than my tax liability for 2015, so I would like to carryback the credit to 2014. It looks like I can file a form 1045 to do that, because it is within 1 year of the credit being generated.

Am I supposed to use the 2014 or 2015 version of form 1045? Do I file the 1045 separately from my 1040 and associated forms?

Do I have to carryback 2 years or can I just do last year if the entire credit will be used up?

e: Found the 2nd part in the 1045 instructions "Do not include Form 1045 in the same envelope as your 2015 income tax return."

e2: And a new question: On page 3 of the 1045 instructions, in the section for Line 1b, it says "If you claim a tentative refund based on the carryback of an unused general business credit, attach a detailed computation showing how you figured the credit carryback and a recomputation of the credit after you apply the carryback." What do I actually need to attach?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

I know $600-800 is a lot of money, but pay someone who knows what they're doing to do the form for you.

The IRS can and will review your 1045 and will reject it if anything (regardless of how trivial) is missing or incorrect or not attached. 1045 filings are by far the biggest pain in the rear end when it comes to compliance.

What about a 1040X? That might be easier, assuming it is like filling out a 1040 I should mostly know what is going on. I started on a 1045 because I read it was simpler. My 1040 isn't very complicated.