Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Nifty posted:

When the IRS refers to a payment made during the "calendar year", does that mean the check must be dated by 12/31, or must be cashed by that date? Can I get away with writing a check now and backdating it?

iirc its when the money is realized or realizable, so once they have the check in their hand and are able to deposit or cash it (whether they choose to immediately or not), theyve been paid.

e: idk abt back dating checks to the IRS ill let one of the more seasoned field that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Seriously, gently caress off with asking every high earner what they do for a living. It's incredibly irritating and juvenile.

Hi what's your AGI from the last three years and also your favorite color and also your mother's maiden name and your SSN, just curious :wink:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

JoeRules posted:

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me clarify my situation a bit.

I'm not sure about deductions for cost of yer new comps and phone, but your stipend will essentially be additional income to you; it's not W-2 style income so you don't have to pay Medicare or SS tax on it, but you will have to list it on your 1040 and your employer likely won't withhold income tax from your stipend amounts so it'll bump your tax liability a bit

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Maybe I'm misreading but I don't think it's multiple transfers, it's just one transfer under $100,000.

As far as I know, it's not taxable. This is coming from an individual (or their estate), yes? Not a trust or a foreign corp? As a foreign gift it shouldn't be included in your gross income for income tax purposes, and it's under the threshold for F3520, so I think you're good. Not my area though so maybe someone else will say different.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 13, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I clearly missed the part about splitting the sum up to avoid reporting rules. Definitely don't try to avoid reporting rules by breaking up a transaction. The gain is nowhere near worth the risk.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Akujiki posted:

Okay, I need to know if I'm going to be asked for forms or if I'm going to get turbofucked.

I spent five years after college in Japan. During this time, after the first year my parents (who were handling tax stuff for me) were told by my uncle, who is a CPA, that because I was not earning income in the United States, that they did not need to file anything for me.

Doing reading well after the fact, everything I'm seeing says that I needed to be filing 1040s with 2555EZs since I wasn't earning anything near the $100k limit.

Obviously I haven't heard anything from them but I'm wondering exactly how bad the advice my parents got was.

If it's a matter of proving bona fide residency, I have my passport, and I can get access to my payment information pretty easily to prove everything, but I'm concerned.

You sorta still should file taxes even if all your income was earned in Japan, and is under the limit (as you state it was), but that'd make your tax liability zero, just to avoid getting angry mail. You won't have to worry about a penalty though, because you have $0 in tax liability, and the penalties are 5% of your tax liability. And 5% of $0 is $0.

So basically you maybe should file, just to avoid confused calls from the IRS (if they ever get to you), but don't stress it too hard.

Xenoborg posted:

I bought a house in September and am looking ahead at my 2017 tax situation. I am wondering about the real estate tax deduction. I will have paid only 3 months at 250 tax. But the real estate tax due in December is 3000, 2250 of which was given from the previous owner, but is in my escrow account now.

It seems logical that I can only deduct the 750 that I myself put in the the 3k that was paid in my name, but I wanted to make sure.

As I understand it, the deduction of real estate taxes paid is apportioned to buyer/seller based on the sale date of the property, regardless of who actually paid them. So any real estate taxes paid on the home before the sale date, that deduction goes to the seller; any real estate taxes paid after the sale date, those are your deductions.

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 22, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Abbi is saying that reporting foreign earned income, and reporting foreign-held liquid assets in excess $10,000 are two different requirements. Both of which the op should be mindful of. :science:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

MAGI is basically AGI but they stack your untaxable income back on top, and doesnt' include either your exemptions or your standard/itemized deductions.

As for health insurance premiums, did you pay them out of pocket? You can't deduct them if your employer paid them, and unless you're self-employed you won't be taking them above-line, they'll land on your Schedule A. Point being, unless you are self-employed, they won't help with your stated dilemma.

If you have a high deductible health plan you can pour money into an HSA which would reduce your MAGI... but I assume if that was the case you'd already be doing that.

You could, umm, start a bead-necklace selling business, buy a ton of beads/hemp/seashells/other inventory, sell very few of your products and post a loss? (Don't do this it's a joke)

It's a tricky one to answer without you being a client and one of us having access to, like, all your personal ish. Maybe you should hit up a CPA in your area.

e: And yea I'm also not sure what reasons are that you aren't maxing out 401k contributions but, you know, do that

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 9, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Unless you're an accrual-basis company!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

If we're doing puns, the tattoo thread had this idea not too long ago:

"The accountan-sea is accrual mistress"

Also open to ideas regarding the image to accompany, once the idea is complete I'll be getting it put into my flesh for keeps

US Income Tax Thread: Now Accepting Ill-Informed Political Rants

US Income Tax Thread: The Answer is, Always, "It Depends"

US Income Tax Thread: How Many Bitcoins Do I Owe the Government?

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 15, 2017

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I think they were squeaking about student loan interest deduction going out the window, but I can't be bothered to read the thing until it's done being scribbled on by interns at 3AM so maybe someone else who pays more attention can chime in.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Overpaid/prepaid sales tax still a gray area tho

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Find proof of the payments, mail that to the IRS and pay tax on the gain - when in doubt the IRS will assume no basis (and thus tax the whole bag as gain) and assume yer either gonna pay it, or do the legwork to prove otherwise. The IRS is clawing in penalties of convenience anywhere they can, its sort of their MO, we've seen some crazy requests to pay dubious "penalties" this whole last year.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

If you paid online the voucher is meaningless to you, just keep your payment conf# in case the IRS conveniently "forgets" you paid and asks you to pay again.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

nwin posted:

Got married in October 2017. Is there any way we could still both just file taxes on our own as “single” for 2017?

Nah sorry dude you file whatever status you are on Dec 31

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

broken pixel posted:

So, I'm relatively poor and new to taxes. My wages this year added up to about $18k with $460 in federal income tax withheld, and after running my W2 through H&R Block and Turbotax, it's giving me an owed value of $180. I make about $1,300 a month as of last month, which I barely survive on. I might be an idiot, but what gives? I feel like I'm missing something here. I wasn't expecting mountains of cash, exactly, but I certainly wasn't expecting to owe anything. It's going to be a problem going forward, since I desperately need whatever money I can get. It feels like I'm probably screwed, but is there something I AM missing by using free software to quick process my stuff?

At least OK will give me $114? Woo!

You can also just file your taxes, say yea I know I owe you money and have them put you on a payment plan.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

It's supposed to be counted when your brother has "constructively received" the payment, e.g. when he has the check in-hand and it is cashable (doesn't matter when he decides to cash it) - if you mailed it, it'd be when he received it in the mail.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

If youre a Libertarian, everything feels like it should be tax exempt! But alas

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

potatoducks posted:

Whatever, you got a free loan.

More like he declined to provide the government a free loan

potatoducks posted:

Who's the dude in your avatar? His face annoys me to an unreasonable extent.

John Terry, hes basically the worst

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Missing Donut posted:

Whoa, did you switch software or did you have a special lock-in deal that ended? That’s crazy otherwise.

We switched to Drake this year it's inexpensive and p. good and people answer the phone very quickly

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

coronaball posted:

My wife got promoted in '17 and her new duties have her driving to meet clients quite a bit. The company reimburses her based on the federal mileage rate. Is the mileage she drove for work also tax deductible?

Nah, that's a reimbursed expense. Depending on how it's reported though, she may still need to deduct on her return; if the amounts reimbursed are reported as wages paid, then you want to take those amounts as deductions so you don't pay tax on them. If the employer doesn't report them on 1099/W-2 (this is usually the case) then definitely don't take them as deductions, as she's not claiming that income on y'all's return anyhow.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

MadDogMike posted:

(And while we’re addressing entertainment being misleading about taxes, most accountants are not super soldier autists as portrayed by Ben Affleck, much as many of us are nerdy enough to want to be).

Speak for yourself :crossarms:

Me on 4/18: :killing: and also being socially awkward and failing to make even accidental eye contact

black.lion fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 16, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

I don't have time to kill anyone right now other than clients that show up with a sweaty handful of crumpled receipts and say "HERE ARE MY EXPENSES" :suicide:

black.lion 4/18: :killing: I HATE TAXES

black.lion 4/20: :420::tinsley::420: TAX LIFE BEST LIFE

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

The basis doesn't carry over from whoever gave the gift? I know it doesn't step up bc it's a gift not an inheritance, but how would it have zero basis if the bitcoin was originally bought for >$0?

Or do you mean, if it's a tip there's zero basis.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

moana posted:

Also "some silly thing" gently caress y'all, I modded this place for years and nobody ever gave me but nothing for my insightful posts OR for banning zaurg twice, bunch of ungrateful twits imo

Come back and ban zaurg again plz, TIA :glomp:

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm a long time self-filer but I suspect I'm going to need professional help for 2017 since I bought, financed, improved, and rented out an income property, and used the sale of some very old stock to do so.

What type of professional should I be looking for, and what do I need to know about them to know if they're a good fit for my situation? Are there some questions I can ask to gauge their expertise?

To complicate matters, I was given some of that stock over 20 years ago, I have no records of its value when it was transferred, the person who gave the stock to me doesn't have the records, the broker who handled the transactions is dead, the company that handled the account at the time no longer exists, the company that bought them doesn't have the records, and my current brokerage was unable to find any information for the cost basis at the time I transferred the account to them. We can't really even narrow down the year it happened. Is there a way to estimate the value in a way that'll satisfy the IRS with no records of the transfer? Would lowballing the basis help at all?

Apologies if this has been answered before, but I didn't see anything of the sort posted this year.

Edit: Am I right to immediately dismiss anyone who hopes I'll forgive them for being blunt? Whatever this is seems lazy at best.

I used to smoke blunts but my lady wasn't a fan of the tobacco so I gave it up, the things we do for love :shrug:

You want a CPA or EA to do your taxes; the rental thing ain't so bad, that's a quick Schedule E (quick as long as you kept your expense tracking tight and it isn't a pile of hosed-up receipts, ink all smudged together from being gripped tightly in a sweaty palm ASK ME HOW OFTEN THIS HAPPENS!!!!! :suicide:)

The capital gains (stocks) thing is another beast; basically, the IRS would quite prefer that you pay tax on the entire amount of proceeds, so the onus is basically on you to demonstrate/list some sort of basis. If you feel you can lowball the basis, doesn't that mean you have some idea of what the basis should be?

Since it was a gift the basis wouldn't have stepped up on the day you received the stocks, it would have remained whatever it was on the day the stock was originally bought (presumably by whomever gave it to you); if you can approximate the date that that individual purchased the stocks originally, you could check out that historical data and go by the per-share price on that day (average it if you only know the year), but it sounds like these are some pretty old shares so that data may not be available. I think Yahoo's database starts in the 1960s sometime? Not positive.

But, if you can't reasonably document some sort of basis for those stocks you may be stuck paying tax on the entire amount of proceeds; at least you'll only be paying the LT capital gains rates on them!!!!!!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Speaking of rentals.

If I rented out my (fully owned) apartment and moved into a smaller apartment that I rent from someone else, is the rent I pay a deductible expense from the rent I receive?

Making sure I'm parsing this right:

You own an apartment (Apt A)

You rented Apt A out to someone

You lived in a rented apartment (Apt B) which you rented expressly for the purpose of you to live in

If the above is true, then no, rent paid on Apt B is not deductible from income generated by renting out Apt A

Only expenses related to Apt A are deductible from income generated by Apt A

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

A&B are the things I wish we could improve.

C, well, that too but humans.

Replacing 20,000 abacuses with actual computers so the IRS can tax people better isn't really a sexy running platform tho, so I'm gonna go ahead and guess that this is the system we will have for the foreseeable future.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Shedding annoying/dubious clients is an art - we kindly refer them to our cross-town competitor, who charges way too much :)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Blinky2099 posted:

Yeah, all of the RSUs are "Sell-to-Cover."

1099 from etrade: no information on taxes/withholding whatsoever.
W-2: $27,700 was withheld for federal taxes. "Wages, tips, etc." lists $136k. This seems about right for federal tax of 136k, no? that's only 8 months of work and my salary was no where near that high so I assume both the wages, tips, etc. is including the RSU grants. Perhaps this means the RSUs are being double counted; once in "wages, tips, etc." and another time on the etrade 1099?

What's your salary? x 66.666% :satan: would be roughly what you received for doing 8 months work, no? How much more than that is reported on your W-2? Does that number resemble your RSU income?

If your employer (whence came the W-2) has an accountant or accounting department, you can ask them and see if they know whether the RSUs are included on your W-2 as wages.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

RoboCop 3 posted:

However, since I never took out any of the gains I don't owe any additional taxes above the 10% penalty...

Right?

You can pull your contributions anytime you want, tax free (you already paid the tax) and penalty free, however when you take distribution from a Roth it is a mix of contribution and gain, pro rata (e.g. the proportion of your total account, contributions to gain, that same proportion is applied to the amount you withdraw; if I have 100k in my Roth, 90k of contributions and 10k of gain, and I withdraw 20k, then 18k of that is tax and penalty free as "contributions" and 2k of that is "gain" that I pay penalty and tax on)

So you can't just selectively pull contributions out, but only a part of your distribution will be considered gain.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

RoboCop 3 posted:

And I think that’s what they’re basically asking me on line 22 when they ask for my “basis in Roth IRA contributions.” They want to know my total (already taxed) contributions. I think.

That's definitely what they're asking on line 22, which makes sense if early distributions are contributions first, then rollover, and lastly earnings if in excess of contributions - they want to know the threshold at which they can start taxing those early distributions.

As for withdrawing contributions vs earnings, I definitely could have it wrong, none of my clients usually withdraw from IRAs early so I could definitely be remembering that bit incorrectly and I pulled my post entirely from memory, but I didn't think you could leave a Roth IRA chilling with only gain in it (e.g. if you took all 90k out and just left the 10k of earnings).

Also, I'm pretty confident that you don't pay that penalty on contributions coming out, only earnings, so if your distributions are in fact 100% contributions then that distribution would be tax and penalty free. I mean, according to that IRS publication linked by Hoodwinker, you don't include return of contributions in gross income... which means you don't include them on line 1 of Form 5329... which means they dont play into the penalty, that line is just 0

e: It's not irs.gov but this thing agrees w me about return of contribution being tax and penatly free, was all I could pull up on a quick google <3

Forbes posted:

The Roth IRA balance was $27,000, and $15,000 was attributable to contributions, so yes, he could get $15,000 out tax-free and penalty-free.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ashleaebeling/2014/05/27/the-roth-ira-mistake/#28f67d16315c

black.lion fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 21, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Blinky2099 posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Roth 401k, not IRA.

Yeah you're right this is exactly what I'm mixing up - sorry everyone! This totes isn't my area, my wheelhouse is young business owners and I haven't really come up against this topic with them

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

RoboCop 3 posted:

I guess the next question is, can I get that money back? Did Vanguard just put that 10% of my money into a “In case of early distribution penalty” box?

Guys, I’m beginning to think I might be an idiot when it comes to money. :(

I mean I'm the tax professional that just answered a tax question wrong lol :suicide: Tax season has me being dumb in every facet of life rn, think I'm just braindead, luckily the majority of my returns were due March 15 so now I get to cruise with a relatively-easy 150 individual returns to do between now and April 17

Anyway enough of my liveblog, the short answer to the above question is to call Vanguard, in my experience they're super helpful and responsive with stuff like this; they likely pulled that 10% "just in case" as Anci said above bc they don't know what other dances you're doing with other IRAs with other custodians

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Yer gonna want to file Form 1040Xs for each year (thats the Amended form, with the "X") that the basis was reported wrong- the form basically breaks out the changes between what you originally filed and what shoulda been filed, in columns; also include whatever forms changed (so prob Schedule D where you would have reported those thangs' basis and proceeds to determine taxable gains) with the filing. Anything that didn't change between the original return and the amended you don't have to include.

Also, when you're filling out the little comment box on 1040X to explain changes, go line by line and explain what changed; imagine when this arrives at the IRS that a 10-year-old is going to read it, you really have to spell it out for them or they may decide to say "nah" and then you have to fill it out again and/or argue with them about it. Like literally: "Line 1 - reduced AGI becuase of blah blah" etc etc by each line on the 1040X that shows a change between column 1 and 2.

Your state will have some version of the 1040X for amended state returns, usually with less explanation required (hint: there's often an X added onto whatever the basic form for your state is to denote the amended)

You'll also want the original return for each year your'e amending on-hand, so you can input on each 1040X the amount you paid with the original return, so you can calculate on the bottom line how big each of your sweet sweet refunds is gon' be.

Here's the form:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 21, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Happy Tax Day my fellow tax peeps! I'll be spending all day chasing five clients who don't ever respond, all night drinking, and all day tomorrow not leaving the house or putting on pants.

What's everyone else's plans?!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

I like how the IRS direct pay website is down on tax day. Great job guys! :downs:

Apparently the IRS servers crashed this morning and had to be reset, maybe having to do with the cyber attack yesterday on US infrastructure - our filing acknowledgements have been creeping in today.

MadDogMike posted:

13 hour day today (after a 14 hour day yesterday) and work is sticking me with coming in Wednesday and Thursday as well. So FML basically.

You poor poor dude - I agreed to do some bookkeeping for someone Thurs morning and I'm already regretting it. I'll be doing nothing of value, personal or professional, tomorrow; no pants, lots of doggos and vidjagames!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 17, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

My coworkers all did their returns today, I did mine in like early February.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I had everything ready weeks ago, I was waiting to see if any last minute TurboTax deals popped up because Self-Employed is expensive as poo poo and I don't make that much money.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/17/news/irs-tax-filing-problems-tax-day/index.html?sr=twCNN041718irs-tax-filing-problems-tax-day1251PMStory

Sounds like TurboTax is having trouble transmitting returns anyway, so this weird coincidence may save you the late filing if your return gets transmitted tomorrow or the day after with everyone else's whose returns aren't going through right now. Maybe?

Hope springs eternal in the human breast, etc etc

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 17, 2018

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Any of y'all noticing about 1000% increase in erroneous claims of unpaid tax/penalty/interest being sent out by the IRS? We're getting like a dozen a week from clients and basically none of them make sense; sometimes the notices even contradict themselves.

The Service seem to just be hopeful that people will send checks and not question the notices, I guess? I don't know I've only been in this game for a year, maybe it's always been like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For instance, today a client brought a notice saying that an IRA distribution needs to be included in income, even tho the 1099R clearly has Code G in box 7 as it was a direct rollover and that's exactly how it was reported on the return.

I don't know maybe I'm just not used to the process, I'm still turning academic knowledge into practical knowledge wrt tax and maybe this is me being naive about how inefficient things are. Things like clients getting a notice to pay in full tax owed, while also getting a notice acknowledging their installment plan and citing the dates that amounts would be auto-drafted from their account. My principal was also mentioning that the number of clients getting notices for amounts they've already paid, or incorrectly suggesting revisions to a return, seems to have gone up. Maybe that's just her perception.

Of course clients get these notices and come in hysterical because they think we didn't do their return, or did it wrong. It's just annoying.

It's me I'm the one that came here to complain about the IRS being inefficient and how it's not convenient for me personally.