Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How did it get to the point where any paper returns are now “maybe in six months we will look at it”?

I thought they used to OCR paper filings and convert them into raw data and then run them through the mainframes. How did it regress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did you receive the 1040-ES from TurboTax? It uses a very aggressive calculation for the estimated amount.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Is there a tax bracket/income level where donating to charity has a neglible cost compared to paying federal taxes? Like, if it costs me $600 to donate $10k to a charity that pays out education scholarships, I'd much rather send my money there than to bomb people in another country, but not if it costs me $6000
The only thing similar is donating appreciated assets, when you are in a high tax bracket in a high tax state.

You personally likely wouldn’t come out ahead, but you would pay less taxes and the charity would gain the full value.