Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

MadDogMike posted:

Anybody know what the time requirement is on when somebody should send you a 1099-DIV? It's the only item I'm waiting on for my taxes this year (for a mutual fund I have) and it seems like my bank in previous years has sent them out as late as the end of February/early March. I seem to recall they have a late deadline on when that info has to go to the IRS, but I was wondering what the deadline on mailing them to me was (a la the whole W-2 deadline being mailed by Jan 31st).

Around 2/14 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

OneWhoKnows posted:

Well, that makes sense. I always thought you were including the issuer's EIN/SSN to help the IRS track what you were claiming as income, but I guess they already know!

You only need to include the payor's tax ID number if the 1099 reports withholding. Just FYI.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I've never seen a letter from the IRS telling a client that they're entitled to a bigger refund than they claimed.

This.

CP2000's only come out when you forgot to report income (or when they think you might have), not for additional deductions.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cool, that answers one question. I'm still at a standstill on filing because I'm not sure if/how to report employer contributions to my HSA.

Any employer contributions tax free, and the amount deducted from your paycheck is already factored in to your W-2 box 1 income (also reported in box 12, code W). Unless you made separate contributions to your HSA (ie you transferred money directly into your account outside of work contributions) you do not report any contributions on your return.

e;f;b

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Droo posted:

They should be able to dig up a transaction history for you. It might be 50 pages and come mailed to you, but you'd be able to find a cost basis.

My wife had some mutual funds that her parents had bought for her as a kid and I did the same thing - it was literally about 100 pages of confusing brokerage statements. I eventually estimated a basis that seemed in the ballpark and figured I would sort out the exact number if I ever got audited for that year.

Edit: if your grandparents have already passed away, then I would just use the closing share price on the date the second one died. See reasoning here:

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/taxes/T055-C001-S002-cost-basis-for-inherited-stock.html

It might not technically be the right way to do it depending on exactly when your name was removed from the account (could be considered a gift otherwise I guess), but if they have already passed away then the intent would generally be correct.

Sounds more like an UTMA account, in which case the shares always belonged to him and the grandparents merely served as custodians but never owned the shares. So the basis adjustment would not apply.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Storgar posted:

I want to mail in a tax return, but pay an amount that I owe online. Do I pay online immediately and then mail it in, or do I need to wait until my tax return is received first?

Just Mail the return in and pay online by 4/15.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Florida Betty posted:

Forgive me in advance for the stupid question. Last year when I was filing my taxes, I forgot about a (paperless) bank account that I have and neglected to include a 1099-INT with about $81 in interest income. So I guess received a slightly higher tax refund than I should have. How big of a deal is this and how can I fix it? Do I have to file an amended return for last year?

If the irs decides that they care they will send a letter notifying you that they noticed and telling you how much it will cost. I would just wait for that, personally.

shodanjr_gr posted:

So I got a fellowship this year which was taxable. The problem is that the school is sitting on its rear end and won't issue the 1042S until mid-March. I know the total amount of the fellowship and the amount withheld for taxes. Is there any reason why i should not (e)file without waiting for my university to issue the 1042S?

You aren't allowed to file claiming any withholding unless you have the form in hand. Or rather, professional preparers can't.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

That's kind of a complicated question depending on what you're making.

That said, any costs incurred in "making" the product would have to be capitalized (meaning: not expensed) until the product ultimately gets sold.

Well there are exceptions, such as small film making ventures.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

Can't wait to call all my clients this week whose e-filed returns got rejected due to SSN fraud! Love this job!!

I had to make three calls like that, it loving sucks. Sorry man.

Two others had the IRS proactively reach out to them via letters to let them know someone had filed returns that were suspected to be fraudulent.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

robcat posted:

I am not a tax expert but just went through something similar. With Schwab at least, you can remove excess contributions before EOY. It's just another option on the form to recategorize contributions (what you would use to create a backdoor IRA).

edit: to clarify, the above all came from Schwab chat support.

You have until the due date of the return, not counting extensions, to recharacterize the contributions.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

galahan posted:

I did, they seem to be Mia and thread locked, ill try pm.

To be fair to me your email late on 4/14 literally said "ignore this if you are too busy to help". I was, so I did.

We connected today though. Now that the insanity has mostly passed I have more time for new returns.

Eta that it was kind of a dick move and I am not usually like that. However, I worked about 110 hours between April 6th and the 15th and there is a very real tendency in that kind of mode to put off anything that we can. So I'm sorry for not at least responding that I was too busy.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 21, 2015

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

I'm not even going to bother checking my utilization report for March/April, since that's one step away from calculating my effective hourly wage and I just can't quite stomach that yet.

I don't know what you're complaining about. On an annual basis I average less than 40 hours per week and make a pretty good living by any measure.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

meteloides posted:

In February of this year I started doing work as an independent contractor, but it's very freelance and I make super little - YTD I've made $68.01. Unfortunately, when I started doing this I listened to some bad advice and didn't get on the ball about filing and tracking things for taxes right away, and didn't immediately start talking to SSA about it. It is now two months later and I'm freaking out that I'm going to get popped for tax fraud or benefits fraud (I'm on disability) somehow. I haven't even looked at the New Mexico tax and revenue website yet to see how screwed I am.

Typically I pay nothing, and I was under the impression that unless I make a certain amount, I still pay nothing, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not sure what to do from here. Is there some free software I can use to track my tax stuff? I'm really bad with numbers and will screw it up if I try to do it by myself. I will be calling the IRS and SSA's Ticket To Work program to settle as much as I can on Monday, of course, but I want to be prepared.

Under $400 you won't owe any self employment tax on your earnings. If you don't have more than ~$10K taxable gross income and less than $400 gross income from contract work, you don't need to file a federal return and won't owe any tax. Not sure on NM.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Asterios posted:

I moved from NYC to Florida halfway through 2014, but continued to work for my employer remotely. The specific office I report to is in New York City, but the corporate headquarters for the company is in Nebraska.

Does the income I'm earning as a Florida resident count as from a New York source, or a Nebraska source? Or, because I live in Florida, is it Florida income?

Thanks as always for the amazing work you do for dumb goons like me, Furushotakeru.

The income earned in FL should be FL income (not subject to NYS or NYC taxes).

Most of the other contributors do far more question answering than I do these days, but you are welcome.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm a US citizen living abroad (more background here). I'm self employed.

I know that health insurance costs are generally deductible (I think it's a special kind of deductible? Turbo Tax wasn't very clear on that). But does that apply to health insurance abroad or is it strictly for providers that are registered with the US government?

I pay for my own health insurance where I live and it's a shitload of money so it would be fantastic to deduct, but I'd rather not end up claiming a huge deduction that I'm not entitled to.

I'm not aware of any rule saying that the insurer must be US based in order for the premiums to be deducted.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

ThirdPartyView posted:

That's not correct, as NY is a state that taxes wages under the theory that telecommuting for convenience is deemed to be as though you physically worked in NY (see Huckaby v. New York State Division of Tax Appeals and Zelinsky v. New York State Tax Appeals Tribunal). Given that Asterios is 'assigned' to the NY office, he has to apportion all the wages to NY.

Huh. I stand corrected then. Not really sure how telecommuting creates nexus, but it is what it is. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to move my server to the Cayman Islands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

YOUR state is a dick about apportioned income and nexus. Don't bitch about NY.

I'm pretty confident that CA only taxes income earned for services physically performed in CA, for non residents at least.