Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Assuming you can take a $100 hit to your paycheck and still be able to pay your bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Cyrezar posted:

Certified letter from the IRS? Nothing important *throws in trash*

Well to be fair he didn't throw it away, he just never claimed it from the PO.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Insurrectum posted:

So somehow I guess I misread my 1098-T form and thought it was for 2010 when it was actually for 2009 (I don't know how, as I very specifically remembered it being for 2010 but I can't seem to find the file and it's not on the website, so I must have been hallucinating or something), but anyway, I'm figuring I'm going to have to amend my 2010 return and give back the credit I got (around $2000, my original tax refund was going to be $2).

How bad are the penalties on this going to be?

Late payment penalties are .5% (.005) per month and interest currently runs at 4% per year.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Voodoofly posted:

I practice law as a sole practicioner, and also do legal work as an independent contractor, so I have been paying quarterly estimated taxes.

However, I've decided to hang up the shingle and go back into a small firm, where I will be a salary employee again. However, what is the procedure for no longer paying estimated taxes? My next payments for both federal and CA are due on June 15. However, I am planning on starting employment at the new firm in the beginning of June.

I assume I still make this June payment, then no longer worry about making any other estimated payments (assuming I don't have any external income from wrapping up some work as a sole practicioner that doesn't get transferred into my job at the firm). Do I need to file anything in addition, or do they just assume if I stop making estimated paymetns that it is legit?

Thanks in advance.

Make your 6/15 payment for what you earned from self employment through 5/31, then have taxes withheld from your paycheck going forward. As long as your withholding is sufficient to cover your tax you won't need to make further estimated tax payments.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

El Asso posted:

I applied for the first version of the First Time Home Buyers tax credit on my 2008 return, the one where you have to pay back $500 a year starting this year. However, I later sold this house on 7/23/09 and made approx $132 off of it, after ~10k or so went to the realtor. I realize this is not a lot of money and needed to get out from under the home.

Anyway, I put all this information on my 2009 return, on Form 5405 Part IV Repayment of Credit under "Enter the gain on the sale of your main home (as figured after reducing your basis by the amount on line 14 above)" I entered $132. Line 14 is $7500 for the loan amount. From my understanding, this counts as repayment of the loan since my gain is less than the loan amount.

After trying to E-File this year, I was not allowed to since the software told me the IRS was expecting repayment of the loan starting this year but I could not enter the sale date of my home since it was in 2009. I emailed the software company explaining the issue and they told me the IRS likely messed up last year and did not record the sale of my home and to mail in my return with a letter explaining the issue and a copy of my 2009 return.

I did all this and finally received my tax return in the mail a few days ago, with $500 taken out. So do I actually need to repay this loan? What was the point of putting in repayment on my 2009 return? Wouldn't I get that $132 back if I actually need to repay all $7500?

I have all my forms printed out and plan on going down to the local IRS office soon, but they are only open during my core working hours and I am extremely busy at work. Hopefully this will save me a trip.

If you sold the residence your repayment should be the lesser of $7,500 or the amount of gain realized. From what you describe that means you should only need to repay $132.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Pissingintowind posted:

How long does it take for the state of NJ to process an adjustment? I received my original refund ($3) before I realized that I forgot to subtract out income earned in NY state. They owe me another $79 and it's been a month, dammit! :argh:

Generally paper returns are processed within 6-8 weeks. Not sure if NJ specifically is any different.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

The funny thing is that he is looking specifically for a CPA even though none of the things he wants this adviser to do for him are covered on the CPA exam. Myself, I like to hire a licensed insurance broker to work on my car, and a DDS pumps my gas.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I didn't mean they wouldn't do my returns, but I see that as a baseline expectation. I am seeking someone who does that and works well with the other goals I have.

I'm just poking a little fun, don't take it personally.

FYI, as far as I am aware the CPA exam also does not include any testing on taxation either. However, most people who sit for the exam will have a BS in Accounting, which normally requires at least one or two tax classes. I'm sure Abbi will chime in if I am mistaken.

I am not trying to say that CPA's don't know how to do taxes, only pointing out that the license they hold doesn't confer expertise in matters outside of accounting.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Admiral101 posted:

The exam actually does test on a variety of taxation and finance topics. Only two sections are "pure" accounting.

That's good to know. I had wondered about that but apparently never enough to actually research the matter. I withdraw my previous statement then.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

Hey, I don't pay $400 in dues to the AICPA every year for nothing!

No but apparently I pay some $330 a year to the national and state EA associations for not very good brand recognition. Oh well, I mostly pay the dues because they advocate in the local and national legislatures to make sure those rear end in a top hat CPA's and attorneys don't succeed in taking away (or limiting) my right to practice :tinfoil:

In CA some salvos have been exchanged between EA's and CPA's in recent years over the right for EA's to serve as professional fiduciaries, at least in the same capacity that CPA's can. There has also been some scuffling at the national level regarding the new preparer regulations. CPA's and Attorneys seem to think for some reason they should be grandfathered in for a lot of things but that EA's should not get that same treatment.

furushotakeru fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 14, 2011

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

That's because you only have two initials, I have three. I'm 50% awesomer.

drat your logic! :argh:

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

scribe jones posted:

He's calling it a loan, so if he's charging below the required rates then there could be an imputed interest issue too I guess???

I don't know anything about Japanese tax law so I have no idea. The dad is not in the US and therefore our rules do not apply.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Helmet Jap posted:

I am a US citizen and my father is not a US citizen

You should definitely make sure to file a TDF 90-22.1 by June 30th then. The IRS is getting very aggressive about foreign accounts so it is set to disclose it. Besides, it's not like the account in Japan is earning any interest so it won't impact your US taxes. :japan:

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Mattism posted:

Did you put the maximum amount of allowances on your W-4?

Infinity?

Also, I find it amusing to hear of someone who thought they were going to be 1099 and ended up an employee. The other way around happens thousands of times a day but this may be a first that I have heard of!

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

sklnd posted:

Part year, including all the associated forms associated.

Then it's probably just a processing error, perhaps the w-2got separated from the return. I know that ca can sometimes be dicks about giving credit for withholding if you don't provide all the information on the return that they require, even if their own systems show the withholding from the employer's payroll tax filings!

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

In his defense, I hear that all the time from my clients. I have quite a few that demand extensions based on this and file in October every year.

I'm sure the IRS doesn't mind. Gives them six extra months on the back end to audit the return and lets them space out their return processing resources some.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

All the audits we see push the three year time limit. Are they faster down south?

They typically target the middle year and then branch out if they find something. So they might pick 2009 and then expand to 2008 and 2010 if they find an error that they think might be recurring, such as lack of documentation to substantiate auto use, etc.(not that any of my clients would have any trouble documenting every business use mile they deducted of course).

So if it goes back to the third year prior then yes they often push past the 3 year SOL and then they hold a gun to the taxpayer's head and make them sign consent to extend the statute.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Eggplant Wizard posted:

An English relative left money for me in a fund to which I gained access on my 25th birthday. It's about 7,100 pounds, roughly $11,000 right now according to google.

* If I withdraw the money from that account and have it sent to a US account, what can I expect on my taxes this year? Will it result in UK taxes as well? I can do it in separate installments over a couple of years if that would help.

* If I don't withdraw it and leave it where it is, will it affect my US taxes at all?

* If I withdraw it and put it in another UK fund (I'm a dual citizen so I can probably do this), will it affect my US taxes? Will I be responsible for UK taxes? The account is tax free in the UK I think, but I don't know if that counts for withdrawal.

(This isn't the thread for this part, but I'm also not sure what makes the most financial sense. I don't have any plans to live in England so my only reasons to keep it there would be taxes, investment possibilities, conversion rates, or some combination of those. Oh, and :tinfoil: about the US' future. But even if we plunge into dystopia, the UK probably wouldn't be much better off.)

The inheritance itself is not taxable, but any income earned on the funds is taxable to the US, with proper credit given for any income taxes paid to the UK government. Whether you take it out of the account and repatriate the money to the US or not is not relevant.

You do need to make sure to send in a TDF 90-22.1 each year though to report the foreign account since it has more than $10K USD in it. The report is due by June 30 each year.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Pfffffffffft posted:

It's a state not federal request, would it be the same on a 540?

If you file a state return like that they will require that you attach a copy of your federal return, so yes.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

kaishek posted:

Now that it is no longer tax season, I hope this question isn't too broad:

I just got married, and my wife is a student making nearly nothing. There are some tax credits (savers credit) that reward you for contributing to an IRA or retirement fund BUT they require that you not be a student. If one of us is a student and the other is not, how does this work?

Also, any tax credits or benefits of being married that I would need to watch out for?

Thanks!

You should be able to claim the saver's credit if you otherwise qualify, but your wife cannot. You can still elect to make a spousal IRA contribution if you have enough earned income to qualify, but she cannot claim the saver's credit.

If you are working and she is not, you should see a big tax break by filing jointly since the lower tax brackets (10, 15, and I think 25%) are doubled up for joint filers. That means that if a single person would pay 10% on the first $10,000 they earn, a joint return will charge 10% on the first $20,000, etc. I am just making numbers up to illustrate, you can look up tax brackets on your own if you are interested in the specifics.

You will also get to claim her exemption deduction and the standard deduction for a joint return is twice that of a single one.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

This just in, Cyrezar nonchalantly and completely coincidentally pays a visit to Kaishek's house. Leaves a business card and an IDR.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

It was meant as a sort of inside joke for the professionals in the thread. IDR = Information Document Request, which is, as Kaishek surmised, an audit document. It's what auditors use to let taxpayers know what records are being demanded politely requested.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

I don't have a very high opinion of the IRS withholding calculator tool, but it may not be as far off as you think. The withholding tables assume a full year of earnings but this year you will only have income for 1/2 year from this job. If you did not have much income for the rest of the year you may not need a lot of withholding.

Example, if your salary is $24,000 per year, your taxable income would be $24K - $5,700 standard deduction - $3,750 exemptions = $14,550 and your tax would be $1,758. If you worked that same salary for only 1/2 the year your taxable income would be $2,550 and your income tax would be $255. 50% of the income but only 15% of the tax!

The withholding tables are quite dumb and don't have any mechanism to factor in when in the year the paycheck is being issued or what your year to date income is.

The main thing to remember is to change your withholding rate back to Single with 1 or 2 exemptions next January so you don't end up under-withholding for 2012.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

Only the nerds snickered at that one.

Nerd :colbert:

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Nifty posted:

How hard is preparing taxes using a K-1 form from investing and getting distributions from an MLP? There is an investment I'd like to make, but I do not know if its worth the tax hassle.

I think it's pretty easy. You may find otherwise, depending on what software you use and how comfortable you are with the concept of a K-1.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Hillridge posted:

I'm a director of a NH non-profit (not a 501c3), and we want to start offering classes through our organization. The current plan is to have each class run by whichever person wants to teach it, with the class fees being handled by our organization. We keep 40%, the instructor keeps 60%. What do we need to do as far as tax paperwork goes when we pay the 60% to these instructors? Would we need to fill out a 1099-MISC for each one?

These are 1099 payments, meaning that yes a 1099 should be issued to any individual who receives more than $600 in compensation.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Always remembering that donated services are not deductible, only cash or physical goods.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

EtaBetaPi posted:

Stupid question time: working through the 1040ES as a employee not subject to W2 withholdings (but most certainly not an independent contractor, for whatever reason fellowships are not required to be withheld against and my attempts to get them to withhold from my paycheck have been met with claims of that it is against the law to do so, which seems wrong but whatever), I don't see a spot for determining the withholdings for social security, medicare, and medicaid. Is there a special form for this, or is it rolled into the main calculation?

Only wage income or self employment income are subject to those. Fellowship income is neither.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

EtaBetaPi posted:

Yeah, my question had to do with the medicare/caid/social security portion of the taxes, which apparently don't apply to fellowship income if I'm reading furushotakeru right.

You are

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

onefish posted:

Is there a "proper"/required way to calculate cost-basis on taxable investments sold? Via http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/research_strategies/market_insight/financial_goals/tax/calculate_the_cost_before_you_sell.html, it suggests that First In First Out is IRS default... does that mean it's required, or could I calculate some other way. Any other resources I should know about for figuring this stuff out?

Thanks.

If you want to sell specific lots of stocks you can, but you must designate a specific lot at the time you place the sale order, you cannot do it after the fact. Absent this, "first in, first out" is the rule.

Well OK there is also an election that can be made for mark to market but hardly anyone would want to do that.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

CraigK posted:

I still live at home and am 24, as, because I picked oh-so-wonderfully in the college major department, I owe $35,000+ and can't find a job. Will what my parents make gently caress me over in terms of qualifying for stuff like income-based repayment and the like?

Unfortunately this has absolutely nothing to do with taxes so I can't help you.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

op187gb posted:

This is a two part question. This week I got a letter from the IRS saying that there were some errors in my 2009 tax return and that I owed some money. The 2 errors were: lifetime learning credit, and retirement income gross. I claimed $2000 deductible in 2009 due to paying $10k in tuition for grad school. How do I prove this to them?

Second, I had some funds worth ~14k in 2009 that I bought originally in 2005 for maybe 10k. I bought them through my bank. My bank turned it over to New York state because they had been sending the statements to an incorrect address, which then got returned to them, so they thought I no longer existed or something. So IRS says I didn't claim 4k in income and wants to tax me on that. I still haven't gotten the money from New York state unclaimed funds. They tell me possibly this year October, but they don't know. During the entire time, the funds have been active, i.e they go up and down everyday according to the market.... they aren't frozen in time from the date they were turned over. Do I owe the taxes on the 4k gains if I never sold them? How do I prove to the IRS if I don't...

I really can't answer either of your questions. Is the IRS asking you to prove your education expenses? That is an audit, which isn't what you describe really. Are they claiming you aren't eligible to claim the LLC?

Also, if the stocks weren't sold then why would the IRS be claiming that it is incom? If they were sold, why is the IRS only claiming $4k of income rather than $14k since you apparently didn't report the sales (or cost basis) on your return?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

My point is that the IRS doesn't know your gain was $4k unless you report it to them.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Are there any circumstances under which I could claim a vehicle purchase as a work expense? I assume not, as it would fall under commuting?

Use of your car for commuting purposes is considered a personal expense and is not deductible. If you are using the car for work too and not being reimbursed by your employer it might be deductible as an itemized deduction, subject to a floor equal to 2% of your income for the year.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Right, and I was doing that for miles I was travelling for work, not including commuting. I'm asking about purchasing a vehicle - is there any way to deduct the purchase itself?

Specifically, earlier this summer I was working out of the home office 3 days a week and out of another 2 days a week, and writing off the mileage to the 2nd office. I didn't need a car to get to the home office, so would I have been able to deduct the purchase of the vehicle?

To the extent that it is used for business, yes. And as an itemized deduction subject to a 2% floor as stated previously.

There are 2 ways to deduct auto costs: standard mileage rate or % of actual costs. If you drive 10,000 in a year and 4,000 of these are for work and are unreimbursed, then you have a 40% business use vehicle. You can choose to deduct 40% of your costs for depreciation, maintenance, insurance, gas, etc. instead of taking the standard mileage rate.

However, most of the time standard mileage rate yields a higher deduction unless you drive a real gas guzzler, or have a really expensive car, or it is more than 50% business use.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Eyeball posted:

This whole winter and spring I was suicidally depressed. As a result, I never filed my taxes for 2010. If I go to H&R Block or whatever, will they just take care of everything for me, or will I have some extra hoops to jump through?

If you can find an office open at this time of year they should e able to help you file.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Eyeball posted:

So, if I can't find an office, what do I do? Just go to a regular accountant?

Sure, there are tons around. Any of the tax people in this thread should be able to do it too if you're comfortable working long distance.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

AbbiTheDog posted:

Subtle.

What? It is well known that most HRB offices are only open from mid Jan-April 15 (or 4/18 this year).

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

So if I were to buy a new camera lens for my personal business (LLC, low 5 figure income) and I used it about 10% for personal use* how much do I get to write off? I know it isn't 90% because last year when I tried to do the same thing turbotax just didn't seem to bother including the deduction.

*Seriously, only 10% or less, I don't take my DSLR camera anywhere.

You should be able to deduct 90% of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Welp.

OK here is another brain buster for you. Tell me why I shouldn't move into a larger apartment, use a room exclusively for my business and deduct it as a home office. This is a part time business, and the home office expense would probably cost more than 60% of my revenue. Obviously I should talk to an accountant/tax lawyer about implementing this, but lets just spitball here.

Sounds like a waste of money to me. The IRS probably won't care as long as you can demonstrate that the extra room is regularly and exclusively used for business and that it is an ordinary and necessary expenditure. However, your extra out of pocket costs for maintaining said office will almost certainly vastly exceed your tax savings for doing so.