Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I moved this year and had a hell of a time getting HR to stop withholding for NC (I moved to a state with no income tax). Eventually they finally did it and I thought that it was all fixed up.

I got my W-2 the other day and for state wages and tips it shows my full yearly salary in the NC line, when I only earned about 1/3 of that in NC. Do I need to get that corrected or is it okay if I just file in NC with the actual amount that I earned in state? My finances are easy so I can just take the pay stub for the last NC paycheck and subtract off the non taxable retirement contributions and add in the portion of interest earned in the beginning of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Thanks, That is what I was worried about. I called up our HR and they each attempted to blame me for not filling out something correctly before transferring me to someone else. NC isn't doing so hot when it comes to budgets so I would expect them to be vigilant.

It doesn't help that I know exactly who the useless lazy person to blame for the gently caress up is. I have to run around fixing things because they can't be bothered to do their job and file the right paperwork, and everyone else I know who has dealt with them shares that opinion. If it doesn't get fixed quickly maybe I should get the union involved. This should not keep me from filing my federal return, correct?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Holy poo poo I'm about to lose it. I had posted earlier about my W-2 being wrong for state taxes but it has gotten worse.

I moved in June from North Carolina to Texas, HR hosed up the change in location and it wan't until October that they manually stopped withholding NC income taxes from my paycheck. Turns out they never actually fixed the location information and still have me listed as working in NC :psyduck:. As I fight to get that corrected, they claim they can only correct the W-2 wages earned in NC back to when they stopped withholding and not to reflect my actual move date.

I'm fairly sure that North Carolina doesn't give a poo poo where my residency is, if the wages are reported to them as being earned in NC they will expect me to pay them their share (~$1300 more) and not doing so would trigger an audit. If HR digs in and insists that they won't change it, am I simply hosed? The work wasn't being performed in NC because I telecommute and the headquarters is in VA.

Is this the point where I need to start calling up for a tax professional in NC?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Can I go ahead and file my federal return even while waiting for a W-2C which only amends my State information? I mean it is a simple 1040ez return that I want to e-file and will not change at all with the W-2C.

I asked earlier if the federal and state things didn't matter (and was told the feds don't care) but I just wanted to make sure that the W-2C form won't kick things back or trigger something even if the federal values match.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tax question: Healthcare.gov flubbed my fiancées subsidy calculation horrifically. Zero subsidies given despite a job change that cratered her income at the beginning of the year. I know we can get those subsidies back when we file taxes, but...

We also want to claim the medical costs as a deduction. By my rough estimation the bills were likely around 50% of her gross income (high deductible, out of network care, and the premiums add up quick) and easily clear the standard deduction. But the subsidy is calculated on adjusted gross income, so is it applied after the deduction of medical costs? It seems a bit strange as the deduction will include the insurance premium which is supposedly offset by the subsidy.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Questions about medical expenses:

You can include the amount of ACA marketplace health insurance premium you paid, minus the premium tax credit, correct? So say if the total premium was $3000 and you get $300 in premium tax credit (line 24 of Form 8962) you can include $2700 of insurance premium in your medical expenses for schedule A, right?

Every tax prep program keeps asking for a breakdown of the expenses (how much for prescriptions, how much for providers, etc) but Schedule A only has a single entry for "Medical and dental expenses". Do we need to go through all the past receipts again to categorize things or is this just a case of the software trying to be overly helpful and we can just ignore the categories and put in a single entry of the amount we tallied up?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Quick question: my wife attended an education conference and also meet up with some of the people who she has been doing independent contracting for. We were wondering if the cost of the trip (conference, airfare, and hotel) could be written off as a business expense on her schedule C next year.

The conference officially was in a slightly different sub-specialty than the independent contracting work she has done so far (the conference was directed towards childhood obesity and her contracting has been mainly with adults) but the stuff discussed was quite useful for both. Also does the fact that the conference results in an additional minor certification matter?

She also works as a standard employee at a different job in the same field. That job has a small allowance for continuing education which could pay for part of the conference. Would accepting that money for this trip affect the deductibility of the non-reimbursed portion? The reimbursement is paltry compared to the potential write off ($90 vs $1300) so if it affects things we'll skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Admiral101 posted:

Was this education conference in any way related to her employee/W2 gig? Were there any personal elements to the trip? (ie: did she visit nearby family, etc). You make it sound like the conference itself wasn't particularly the primary reason for the trip.

You would not be able to deduct the portion that's reimbursed. It would not have an impact on the balance of the deduction.

Yes it was related. Her 1099 work is basically her W2 work but in a group setting so it was related to both.

The conference was 100% the reason for the trip. I was just staring at the IRS guidance on educational expenses trying to think of reasons it wouldn't qualify.

Excellent news on the reimbursement.