Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb
I did a backdoor Roth IRA last year. I am above the income limits. I had my taxes done by a 3rd party, and they have marked this as a Traditional IRA distribution, and they added this as income. They also did not mark the original IRA contribution as tax deductible. Is this the correct thing to do here? it increased my taxable income by 6500 and increased my taxes paid by my 32% tax bracket.

Fees like I'm getting double taxed here for that money. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jobert posted:

Do you have the 1099-R from the traditional IRA? It will have the total amount listed on 2a as taxable amount, but then will also have 2b "taxable amount not determined checked".

So what did the preparer put on 1040 line 4a? That should have the total distribution and then 4b should be 0.

Unless you had an existing balance in Traditional IRAs before the backdoor. That would create taxable income also but would be on form 8606.

They left 1040 a blank, and put the $ 6500 on line 4b. The 1099-R does have the $6500 on line 2a of the 1099-R as 6500 an 2B was marked taxable amount not determined checked.

Did not have a balance in the Tradition IRA before the original deposit.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ungratek posted:

Did you specifically tell him that you contributed to your Trad IRA and then did a backdoor conversion? If not, he probably just reported the 1099-R straight up without thinking too much about it.

I did, but now I'm thinking he may not be very familiar with Backdoor Roth IRAs.