Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
So this year was a little unique for me since I had severance from a previous company and I also moved states (I had 4 W2s from only "2" companies). Due to the extra income I couldn't deduct the few normal things I usually do (i.e. Student Loan interest and IRA contributions) so I am/was stuck with ~800 dollars owed for federal. I filed for an extension and put 100% towards it for now. Bottomline: Is there a reasonable expectation that hiring a professional will cover the amount I'd have to pay him?

Extra details/Other things related to filing:
A little interest on checking (tiny)
some dividends on investments (tinier)
Student loan interest (significant, but unclaimed due to limitations)
Moved state and had ~2wk of unemployment (untaxed) from my previous state

Additional:
I own no property; collect no rent; bought no new cars; just about any of the additional options is "no".

I'm planning on hiring my friend's advisor, but I'd appreciate any other insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

Captain Beans posted:

For example is there any specific reason why you are making contributions into a traditional IRA(you mentioned the deduction for it) instead of a Roth IRA(pay the tax now)? If you made enough money to have things like student loan interest phase out your paying taxes at a 25%+ level. Tax rates are actually pretty low historically, so the chance of them being higher when you retire in 30-40 years is pretty good. Might be better to pay tax on it now and be able to withdraw it tax free in the future.

Well I didn't contribute to an IRA this year because of the reasons you and I stated. I only wish I had enough foresight to know I wouldn't be able to deduct then I would have maxed out 401k contributions instead. C'est la vie.