Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Random question, I feel like it's best to ask here:

I recently got hired by a new company, as part of their background check, they're looking at previous employers. One of my prior employers is no longer in business, meaning my (soon to be) current employer can't call and ask for verification if I worked there. As an alternative, they've asked me to provide my W-2 from when I worked there, which was 2009. Problem is, I can't find my W-2 form. Is there a way to go about getting a duplicate W-2 for a company that has gone under?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hi, I have a unique tax based question, I think. I recently took a new job, based out of California. In normal circumstances I would be moved down there to be a resident, but given COVID, I won't be moving there until at least July of 2021 (or later). I'm a resident of Washington State right now. My employer has said that even though I'm not a resident, I'll still pay CA income tax - they're a big company so I'm probably not going to fight them on this. I've talked with other people, and some seem to assume that there's a tax implication beyond paying CA income tax, like I'd have to pay some WA state tax (even though WA isn't an income tax state).

Is there anything I should be doing for my taxes to make sure I'm not accidentally screwing myself? I'm filing single, for reference. Also a portion of my compensation will be RSUs if that matters too.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
From what it sounds like, CA policy is that they can tax nonresidents on "California-based income", but it doesn't say whether or not that comes back:

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html

H110Hawk posted:

If you literally do not set foot in California in 2020 you should absolutely not pay our income tax, as much as I would like you to. :v: That is lazy accounting on your companies part which should come out at the end of the year anyways.

In the end Washington state likely requires them to register as you being an employee forms nexus. This costs your employer money in the form of licensing whatever software they use and time for their accounting department, plus whatever they owe Washington.

https://dor.wa.gov/education/industry-guides/out-state-businesses/physical-presence-nexus

They will almost certainly get audited on this eventually.

If you front California the money you should get it back eventually and other than that it's not a "you" problem, so it's up to you if you want to rock the boat.

The annoying thing is that my company has several offices in WA state (their main office is in CA) and the job I applied to was based in CA, but I do think you're right in that they just don't want to do the paperwork to have me based there. Our company does have a tax consulting service (that costs money) I could utilize but would likely use it beginning of next year since I'm only working here 2 1/2 months for 2020.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 27, 2020