Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

LanceHunter posted:

Possibly, though there's about a 0% chance my friend is organized enough to be doing all that. I'm only sure he's paying sales tax because that's processed automatically through the credit card payment system (which also sends a nightly email showing all the machine's previous day sales, which is pretty neat).

But yeah, it might be worth talking to a professional this year. If nothing else so that I'll already have someone ready for the poo poo-show that will be my 2024 taxes.

Your friend needs to hire an accountant, and you have the right to request that as an investor in the business. Just shrugging and saying its his fault isn't a defense for not recording income correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

If it’s $300 I’d just eat the $30 penalty and move on with my life

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I file via HR Block (lol) and it's all imported automatically via the payroll companies

Just to confirm - both of those w-2s are yours correct? That’s what your return is showing.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The excess SS withheld would be credited as an estimated tax payment and result in a larger refund than appropriate

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

smackfu posted:

Confused about an IRA tax thing…

A couple of years ago I managed to lose money in my traditional IRA before I converted it to a Roth. I put in $6000 but only converted $5812 to Roth so I had a remaining basis of $188. This gets carried forward on form 8606 line 2 and this year I made $15 on my IRA before converting so that basis got reduced to $173. And so on into the future I assume.

Is this number actually meaningful? My traditional IRA generally has a $0 balance except for a few days in January.

Your basis after the rollover last year is $0, not $188. You wouldn't have taken a loss on your return if you handled this as a distribution (which this is), so you don't get to maintain basis when the rollover is less than your entire contribution. You'll have $15 of income to report on this year's return.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

smackfu posted:

Oh interesting. I can’t see where I made any mistakes in FreeTaxUSA (or in its forms), but it’s easy enough to zero out the basis for this year.

I doubt you made a mistake, just the form probably populated incorrectly. It’s nothing you have to fix for the prior year.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

I was gonna say, $1k is insanely cheap. I won’t touch under 10k and usually need a business reason for under 20k

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

jemand posted:

This question is from pure curiosity, thinking back to the "covid cash" days early in the pandemic.

Here's the story:
In early 2019 my ex-husband and I filed a joint return for 2018, with him as the primary tax filer. We were divorced by November 2019.

In 2020, I filed my 2019 taxes as a single return very early, while my ex procrastinated almost as much as he could.

This meant that the in the first phase of stimulus payments I received $1200 on the basis of my single 2019 tax-year filing, and he received $2400 on the basis of the last recorded return for his SSN, the MFJ from 2018.

We were already in very limited contact and I haven't heard from him in years. Would the IRS ever have come after him for getting that extra $1200? (I hope not, but none of this feels like it ever was my problem)

Unlikely

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i live in new jersey. if i sell my half of my father’s business (left to us when he deceased), what are my tax implications? is this income? short term capital gain? a different thing?

You need to engage with an accountant and whoever handled your fathers estate. I don’t say this to be dismissive, but it’s the actual answer.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Did you specifically tell him that you contributed to your Trad IRA and then did a backdoor conversion? If not, he probably just reported the 1099-R straight up without thinking too much about it.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Peyote Panda continues to be the model IRS employee, and I'd like him to replace the officer working on my client's audit who is not.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Ne Cede Malis posted:

He's not a CPA, AFAIK, but an MBA

loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Are the mortgage interest and real estate taxes covered in the maintenance fee expense? If so, then it’s a double dip. If not, then I think it would be ok (unless there’s something else I’m missing).