Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I'm figuring out my taxes right now, and I have a slightly ambiguous situation. I'm a graduate student living in Maryland full time, but my state of legal residence is Pennsylvania (specifically at my parent's house, I need to keep it there so I can stay under their auto insurance). I'm not claimed as a dependent. Since I live here year round, I assume I'm a statutory resident, and thus have to pay Maryland income taxes. However, I received two W-2s this year and was taxed in both PA and MD. The majority of my income was taxed by PA, but a smaller portion was also on my MD W-2. I'm wondering exactly how I should file this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Another question: As a PhD graduate student, I get my tuition paid for to the tune of ~40k a year. I never see any of this money, since I assume it comes out of my university right back into my university. We receive a sheet of paper every year basically telling us "We paid this much to cover your tuition this year." However, I was talking to some other graduate students and it seems like a good portion of them use that to take a deduction, even though we never actually see the money. Is that kosher?

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

So somehow I guess I misread my 1098-T form and thought it was for 2010 when it was actually for 2009 (I don't know how, as I very specifically remembered it being for 2010 but I can't seem to find the file and it's not on the website, so I must have been hallucinating or something), but anyway, I'm figuring I'm going to have to amend my 2010 return and give back the credit I got (around $2000, my original tax refund was going to be $2).

How bad are the penalties on this going to be?

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I'm starting my taxes early this year because last year was a bit of a rush job, but basically:

1) I'm going to grad school in MD, but I've been keeping my legal domicile as PA for car insurance/voting purposes.
2) Last year, I had to pay both MD and PA taxes, with different amounts being taxable for each state due to the reciprocal agreement between the two.
3) I live in Maryland year round.

This year, however, my W-2 form wasn't split up into one PA and one MD form, but just one form for MD with all my income. My question is this: Do I need to file a PA return? Will stating I'm a resident of Maryland for tax purposes change my legal domicile and affect my ability to stay on my parents car insurance and vote in PA? Will the PA tax man be after me?

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

I moved from DC to MD midway through the year, but didn't end up changing my withholding state from DC to MD until this year. I change my address with my company, but I didn't realize I had to fill out a separate form to change my withholding information. I ended up vastly overpaying my DC withholding didn't pay any MD tax, so I am being hit with a substantial interest penalty for my MD state taxes (at least, that's what TurboTax is saying). Is this just something I'll have to suck up and pay?