Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I'm probably a moron but to me it seems strange that the OP doesn't address filing online, as there are so many choices, and surely one is better than the other.

Also, what is the deal with the shady-rear end freefilefillableforms websites? The IRS website says for an AGI over $58,000 to "use free file fillable forms" and gives me a link. I then get this reassuring page:

irs.gov posted:

Please note that by clicking on this link, you will leave the IRS web site and enter a privately owned web site created, operated and maintained by a private business.

The information that this private business collects and maintains as a result of your visit to its web site may differ from the information that the IRS collects and maintains. (please see the IRS web site privacy and security notice for privacy protections IRS provides to web site visitors).

By linking to this private business, the IRS is not endorsing its products, services, or privacy or security policies. We recommend you review the business's information collection policy or terms and conditions to fully understand what information is collected by this private business.

First it sent me to freefilefillableforms.org . Ok, whatever, I created an account, then I got the paranoid internet jitters, so I googled freefilefillableforms.org and found out that there's also a freefilefillableforms.com and that they're unrelated, but appear nearly identical (very much like a phishing scam).

So I went back to the IRS website and went through the process again to file online, and after seeing the message above again, got sent to freefilefillableforms.com. I clicked on the 'forgot user ID' link and confirmed that my email address is not in their database, so the .org and .com are definitely not related. I went back to the IRS website again and noticed it randomly sends you to one or the other when you go through the process.

I'm sure they're both legitimate if the IRS sends you there, but seriously, what the gently caress? In the day and age of trying to get people not to blindly enter personal info into sketchy sites, the IRS seems to be working against any progress. I assume it's better to just fill out the forms with a god damned pen and mail the poo poo in like a heathen? Because I guess that's what I'm doing :sigh:

P.S. I don't remember how I did it last year because taxes don't excite me, but I could have sworn I did it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU