Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm just thinking about taxes next year.

This year I had a medical issue and my family got my a significant amount via GoFundMe. It was way more than I needed, spent ≈1/2 on medical expanses and the rest is sitting there for now.

My general question is how does this apply to my taxes (US and Wisconsin)? If I end up returning/donating the money I didn't spend, could that be deducted? Are there other questions I should think about?

I mean, I have half a year before I really have to worry about this, but would like to know if I need to take care of something in the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

incogneato posted:

It might be wise to save copies of everything that shows the purpose and amount of these donations, in case an audit comes around years later. Don't rely on GoFundMe pages and records being static. Save them, and anything else that would be useful convincing someone skeptical of the money's background.

Thanks.

This was the first time I expanded that and saw how much individual people gave and some made me gasp.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have a feeling I'm going to have to work on my mom's taxes this year. I avoided doing it last year (she put down money for my sibling's house, I didn't want to get involved), so, fun.

My question: my dad passed away at the beginning of this year (first week of January). They filed jointly. How much is this going to complicate things? I'm assuming that there won't be anything too different for 2022 since he lived through the entire year.

I've just been plugging numbers into FreeTaxUSA for years and I am very simple financially, so I have little experience in this stuff. Though I noticed that the software asked if anyone on the return (aka, me!) has passed away when I did mine last week.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 17, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean owing a small amount to the feds is much better than getting $1500 back but ok.

Though I see their concern that they seem to have paid $1500 more this year compared to last year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

stop ruining my dream of traveling handcuffed to a briefcase.

Do it.

Do NOT parachute out of the plane with a briefcase full of money, only for nobody to hear from you again.