Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some Truckfuckling happened this morning here.

Somehow, a truck and dog went down a one way road which only leads to a trainstation staff carpark and platforms 4 and 5 of a station, somehow, and then managed to almost fall off a bridge while trying to reverse, in the process dumping soil onto the only pair of dual gauge tracks leading into the Port of Melbourne and the city, which meant The Overland train had to be replaced by buses while interstate freight was also delayed.

Some A grade truckfuckling

The incident occurred here, on McNabb avenue, on the bridge over the freight tracks that dive down into a tunnel. Normally the truck incidents in Footscray are oversize loads hitting the Napier st bridge 200m to the South and causing trains to be delayed until the bridge is inspected.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.8021884,144.9014127,121m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0&entry=ttu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

is the dog OK

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to believe the dog was driving

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The dog is the trailer hanging off the bridge, so no.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
So the Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board recently published its intermediate report on the Gotthard Base Tunnel accident.

It's available in german here : https://www.sust.admin.ch/inhalte/BS/2023081002_GBT_ZB_D.pdf

Based on the report, the Swiss national TV station modeled the course of the crash (it should start at 03:01) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bawc_gtUpg&t=185s

It's in german, but the sequence of events is pretty clear. While the broken wheel on the freight wagon caused a lot of damage, something happened to the switch at the Faido multifunction station, which broke the train in half and derailed and crashed the rear half of the train.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
In "German". Pretty funny that the main narrator seems to speak the most swiss German of all the people in the video.

Pretty cool video though. Don't miss out on the poo poo burning toilet.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

drunkill posted:

Normally the truck incidents in Footscray are oversize loads hitting the Napier st bridge 200m to the South and causing trains to be delayed until the bridge is inspected.

Bridge strikes cause drama in Melbourne every second day it seems. The other day someone managed to strike every single individual structure underneath Richmond station before getting stuck around 1pm. No trains for an hour. 3/4 of the network was hosed until sunset.

The frequency of strikes is remarkable

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

drunkill posted:

Some Truckfuckling happened this morning here.

Somehow, a truck and dog went down a one way road which only leads to a trainstation staff carpark and platforms 4 and 5 of a station, somehow, and then managed to almost fall off a bridge while trying to reverse, in the process dumping soil onto the only pair of dual gauge tracks leading into the Port of Melbourne and the city, which meant The Overland train had to be replaced by buses while interstate freight was also delayed.

Some A grade truckfuckling

The incident occurred here, on McNabb avenue, on the bridge over the freight tracks that dive down into a tunnel. Normally the truck incidents in Footscray are oversize loads hitting the Napier st bridge 200m to the South and causing trains to be delayed until the bridge is inspected.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.8021884,144.9014127,121m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0&entry=ttu

WITHOUT TRUCKS
AUSTRALIA STOPS

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thought I'd share this video of steam trains decked out with mappable LED strings for Christmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRTCJpyTiiY

Also:

Today (Christmas Eve) is the anniversary of the Hawes Junction Disaster, one of the key moments in British railway history in the development of safe practices.

The Wiki article does a pretty good job in outlining it, as does this article from the Settle Carlisle Railway Trust. It's also portrayed in this extremely 1970s-BBC documentary.

In brief, a signalman at a busy remote station on the Midland Railway's main line to Scotland, near the end of his 10-hour shift in terrible weather in the early morning of Christmas Eve, 1910, forgot about a pair of locomotives he had previously positioned on the northbound main line behind the starter signal. As they waited there, he accepted and cleared the signals for a northbound express sleeper train. When the signals cleared, the pair of engines set off into the next section, unaware of the express approaching behind them at more than twice their speed. The express caught up and collided with the engines about 2.5 miles further down the line. The initial collision was not especially destructive - the light engines were pushed along the rails, derailed and then fell against an embankment. The express was also pulled by a pair of engines which derailed and the carriages piled up around them, with severe 'telescoping'. A post-crash fire, fuelled by the wooden-bodied coaches and leaking gas cylinders, added to the destruction and hindered rescue efforts.

Although the death toll (12 persons) was by no means the highest for the era, the nature of the disaster caught the public's eye and its emotions. The timing - Christmas Eve - obviously added to the tragedy. So did the location of the accident, on the Midland's famously beautiful, grand and difficult route across the 'roof of England', in the midst of wild and remote fell country on a night of howling wind and lashing rain. That one of the drivers, despite serious injuries, walked over a mile through the storm to get help. And that the signalman who unknowingly made the fatal error, as he waited for the 'out of section' bell from the next signal box that never came and first saw the growing flames of the crash silhouette the looming fells against the low clouds, said "...I am afraid I have wrecked the Scotch Express." It had all the hallmarks of a Victorian dramatic novel.

That it was due primarily to human error - a forgetful signalman - also stoked demands that something be done. There were numerous contributory factors, ranging from the failure of other railwaymen to follow the laid-down regulations to the weather. The Midland Railway shouldered much of the general blame; for its refusal to issue signalmen with lever collars to prevent them from clearing signals were trains were standing, for its similar refusal to consider installing track circuits to remotely indicate the presence of trains and for its policy of using multiple low-powered engines even on difficult, steeply-graded routes which resulted in signalmen being distracted by extra work as pilot/banking engines were removed, turned, repositioned and attached.

The Hawes Junction Disaster gave impetus for the fitting of track circuits (already in widespread use in America) at busy junctions and stations in the UK (the Midland very quickly installed them at Hawes Junction) and added further weight to a long-standing campaign by the Railway Inspectorate to push for safer rolling stock with steel bodies and electric lighting.

The signal box where the disaster unfolded is still in regular use and was recently restored and refitted. It is also now protected as a Listed Building in recognition of its historical significance as the last traditional signal boxes are being rapidly replaced by modernisation projects - in 1910 there were over 10,000 signal boxes on British railways, now there are around 800 and by 2045 they will all be gone, replaced by no more than 14 fully digital remote regional control centres. Ironically, by so clearly demonstrating the need for track circuits and ushering in the means of automated control, the Hawes Junction Disaster started the process which will lead to the signal box's own obsolescence in a few years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYzuAJeg3M

A self balancing monorail/train that is rankly amaing

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A self balancing monorail/train that is rankly amaing

Combine this with the flywheel bus and we could have emissions free busses that can drive in bike lanes.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Merry Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBPp3ZfgLc

Jolly Good!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

A self balancing monorail/train that is rankly amazing

That is absolutely amazing, thanks for posting it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SarahJMcConnell/status/1741310277994549676

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The truck driver has been charged with causing death by dangerous driving
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-01/truck-driver-charged-over-crash-that-killed-train-workers/103276656

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
75 year old truck driver shouldn't be a thing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrlrbfGZo2k

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Look, I get that normal people don't pay attention to trains, but even a normal person should have noticed that there is something wrong with this image.

That is Netflix's preview image.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Orient Express operated by... BNSF?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently Netflix generates a dozen or so images for each movie so they can target them at different audiences.

So I bet it’s all just done by AI now. “Train” is a train, right?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nobody watching will care, the railfans will wait for Murder on the Orient Local for the spotting at the smaller stations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Look, I get that normal people don't pay attention to trains, but even a normal person should have noticed that there is something wrong with this image.

That is Netflix's preview image.

“Murder on the BNSF Mixed Consist” doesn’t have the same ring.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'd watch it.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

new thread title candidate

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I would say something about at least getting the railroad correct, but frankly it's fitting that you didn't.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Murder on the Union Pacific Coast Starlight

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Currently riding the City of New Orleans all the way in a roomette. It’s pretty nice.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Full Collapse posted:

Currently riding the City of New Orleans all the way in a roomette. It’s pretty nice.

Hell yeah. I did that up from visiting family in Florida in June and it kicked rear end. Best way to travel.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The only downside is you can’t choose your neighbors and Hell is other people. The roomette across the hall had the biggest loving Karen being obnoxious.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

LOL. LMAO.

https://sfist.com/2024/02/02/barts-fleet-of-the-future-trains-still-glitchy-as-heck-whenever-it-rains-may-require-expensive-repairs/

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Have occasion to cross the alps this spring. Thinking of taking the bernina pass but lots of places online say just take the regional trains and change in St Moritz, reserving a seat in the special tourist car isn’t worth it. Anyone confirm/deny?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nope, totally worth it.

The second or third time in your life, maybe, maybe not. The first time? Why deny yourself? I've done the Bernina Express before and would recommend anyone do it at least once.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Posters need to report good thread title suggestions in threads like this where a mod might only wander in every month or so :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCc839UL8po

This one might interest and def not something you will see everyday

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The orange TGVs look so incredibly dated, but at the same time are unambiguously the correct color.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Orange is also the best color for mass transit and light rail

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Speaking of color, is cream yellow and green some kind of traditional color for trams? That has been the color scheme for Helsinki trams, but I have also seen pictures of Japanese trams with identical coloring.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Orange is also the best color for mass transit and light rail

I feel the same way about WMATA updating things. DC metro should be brown, orange and carpeted.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Saukkis posted:

Speaking of color, is cream yellow and green some kind of traditional color for trams? That has been the color scheme for Helsinki trams, but I have also seen pictures of Japanese trams with identical coloring.

I've never seen anything that declares that, but green and cream was all over the US too.

Cream and red was really common too. If you look up the PCC streetcars, most are one of those two. DC was a slick cream and teal though.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a consequence of what paints lasted the longest at the time, sort of like how stop signs used to be yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I'm pretty sure it was one of either new york or chicago that painted their cars that way and then sold off the old ones when they got new ones and those got entered into service elsewhere and cream over green became the default color. Now they both use boring stainless steel