Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

drunkill posted:

:words:

I hate to be a spoilsport, but the RailPictures.net guys are cocks. Unless you took all of these photos, expect these to get DMCA'd when they finally find them. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

minivanmegafun posted:

I hate to be a spoilsport, but the RailPictures.net guys are cocks. Unless you took all of these photos, expect these to get DMCA'd when they finally find them. :(

Welp... that sucks then. It's not like I edited them and removed the watermarks or hotlinked from them. Oh well.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Requesting more GG1 Pics please. I love those big bastards.

I spent a little while today inside this big SOB. The locomotive does not run (nor does any GG1) due to PCB-laden transformers which were removed following the locomotive's retirement from Amtrak around 1981. It's currently on display in a barn, and was re-painted into Pennsylvania Railroad colors around 1999. The interior is largely as it was when it was retired.

Direct link to the flickr album.

Some photos from the album:

Cab view. (click the photo for its flickr page, to see notes on the controls/gauges)

Ammeters, as seen in the cab.

The 22-notch controller.

View of the cab with a fisheye lens.

Fireman's side of the cab (another fisheye lens shot)

Fisheye "panoramic" shot of the inside of one of the noses.

One of the locomotive's noses.

One thing I can say about GG1s: If you were fat, you probably didn't like them. The corridors and passageways within ours are pretty cramped. Not that this detracts from their coolness in any way. Also, here's a documentary (from 1983) on youtube about one of the final GG1s in service:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6W0XEqOLw
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtcjqoGnpm0&feature=related
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSTNZDfqmbU&feature=related
Part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyb86R8rRyY&feature=related

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I really think the GG-1 is one of the most beautiful locos ever built and those pictures just drive that home.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

bytebark posted:

I spent a little while today inside this big SOB. The locomotive does not run (nor does any GG1) due to PCB-laden transformers which were removed following the locomotive's retirement from Amtrak around 1981.
Now.. I want to make some gigantic fuckall transformer.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I really think the GG-1 is one of the most beautiful locos ever built and those pictures just drive that home.
I really find any line or rail powered locomotive to be somewhat disappointing. They just don't do it for me because, at least in my eyes, they're an appliance. I get the same "meh" feeling about those nifty little steam battery powered locomotives for the early subways.

The big engine is somewhere else. It's pretty, but it's missing the magic you get with a diesel, or a boiler, or a turbine, or a gas engine.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
If you are around Reno/Sac area...

http://www.wplives.org/

What's the big deal?

For $150 buck, you can run a train for an hour.

quote:

Our World Famous "Run-A-Locomotive" program allows you to rent a vintage diesel locomotive and operate it on the museum grounds, under the close supervision of your own private instructor. Income from locomotive rentals helps fund the restoration of our historic equipment.

The R-A-L program has three basic plans, all include private instruction from a qualified engineer:

Plan A - $150 for 1 hour
Switch Engine: USA 1857 (FM H12-44), WP 608 (EMD NW2), SP 1100 (EMD TR6A).
Plan B - $175 for 1 hour
Road Engine: WP 917D (EMD F7) or SP 2873 (EMD GP9)
Plan C - $275 for two hours
Switch Engine for the first hour and Road Engine for the second hour.
*Please note that while advanced reservations are strongly encouraged, walk-ins will be taken on a time available, first come first served basis, weather, personnel, and locomotive availability permitting.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I work for the Union Pacific Railroad. I can answer most of your questions about todays current engines if you have any. But anything older than sd40's are going to be pretty vague at best for me to give you any information.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I work for the Union Pacific Railroad. I can answer most of your questions about todays current engines if you have any. But anything older than sd40's are going to be pretty vague at best for me to give you any information.
You work for them in what capacity? And, it would probably be best if you just started in with sharing something, that'll get the goons asking.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
drat, It sucks being tired. I should say I am freight engineer that is a set back to conductor. I will try to answer questions the best I can. Sorry I have been up since 2 am.

I will say that I would much rather have an EMD than a GE any day. The ACe's are ugly as sin, but they load much better than a GE ES-44 (evolution series, 4400 hp). Its all about throttle input. The only thing I don't like of the current crop of SD70's are the cabs are very noisy, but now the UP finally ponied up for some of the whisper cabs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I am freight engineer

I've always wondered - how does one go about becoming an engineer? Do you go to school for it or is it more of a trade that you learn on the job?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

I've always wondered - how does one go about becoming an engineer? Do you go to school for it or is it more of a trade that you learn on the job?

All OJT my friend. Advice for people who are looking to get a job in the railway industry.... do NOT waste your money on schools. The RR's will want you to run their trains the way they want it done.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I really love this thread - i read it frequently and it seems to be the only thing i read when my girlfriend is about, she loves trains but "watching videos of modern freight trains is boring" so she found me this channel of videos and told me "post these on your train lovers forums so you all can jerk off to it together"

http://www.youtube.com/user/PoathArchives

:fap:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Crosspost from the mechanical failures thread, courtesy of one of my engineering friends:

"The wheel failure happened many years ago, at sandy, on an intercity train from kings cross.

The axle failure happened near melton Mowbray at speed, and made a mess of a couple of miles of track. Strangely the media managed to not pick up on this story, they just listed it as a broken down train."

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

okey, now that's awesome. A "spare tire" for a train.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

There are two sets of images there right? I mean on the first ones, there are brakes on the actual flange, but the bottom two with that kick-rear end spare tire have a big brake disk on the axle in the middle.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The first one also didn't have coil springs directly over the axle.

What's the speed/distance rating on that economy spare?

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Trains vs. Snow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlA2INOpT78

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF2ZPRmocs4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-gFKzR4M5o

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slung Blade posted:

There are two sets of images there right? I mean on the first ones, there are brakes on the actual flange, but the bottom two with that kick-rear end spare tire have a big brake disk on the axle in the middle.
Yeah, one's the axle failure, one's the wheel failure.

Road_Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Crosspost from the mechanical failures thread, courtesy of one of my engineering friends:

"The wheel failure happened many years ago, at sandy, on an intercity train from kings cross.

The axle failure happened near melton Mowbray at speed, and made a mess of a couple of miles of track. Strangely the media managed to not pick up on this story, they just listed it as a broken down train."

Have they switched to using concrete sleepers in NSW now? That's all they use here in Wait Awhile (on the metro passenger lines anyway)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Road_Warrior posted:

Have they switched to using concrete sleepers in NSW now? That's all they use here in Wait Awhile (on the metro passenger lines anyway)

Judging by the snow on the ground I think that might be in the UK.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Judging by the snow on the ground I think that might be in the UK.

They have different snow in England?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Advent Horizon posted:

They have different snow in England?

I was just thinking about this the other day...other than high in the mountains, I don't think it snows (regularly) between the Equator and the Antarctic Circle.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Melton Mowbray and Kings Cross could be either eastern states of Australia or the UK... except that the Melton Mowbray is in Tasmania and Kings Cross is in NSW so it's probably the UK after all. :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

The first and last video are both insanely badass :D

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
600v DC + ice + train = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3rKLT-CnHg

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
If you love trains and want to keep some of the old girls alive take a look at this..

http://www.galvestonrrmuseum.com/

I was there for a little vacation in January and they were still closed from the IKE hurricane a few years ago. Looks like they are just starting to open and almost have the grants and such to repair the damage that happened.

Visiing that museum was one of the things I wanted to do while there so it was kind of disapointing.

I wish I had taken some pictures from outside the fence but from the rust lines you could see how high the water was. Not to take away from the hardship imposed on people but it was hard seeing such historic iron in that bad of shape.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

drat, It sucks being tired. I should say I am freight engineer that is a set back to conductor. I will try to answer questions the best I can. Sorry I have been up since 2 am.

I will say that I would much rather have an EMD than a GE any day. The ACe's are ugly as sin, but they load much better than a GE ES-44 (evolution series, 4400 hp). Its all about throttle input. The only thing I don't like of the current crop of SD70's are the cabs are very noisy, but now the UP finally ponied up for some of the whisper cabs.

Heya, I'm headed in for a hiring session for Brakeperson/Switchperson at PD1 at the end of this month. I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me a little bit about the day-to-day life of a complete newbie, so I have a better idea of what I'd be getting into. Possible? Drop me a PM, or reply. Tried to send you one, but I can't :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Road_Warrior posted:

While that's not in NSW, yes almost all lines are either converted or in conversion process to concrete sleepers in NSW

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

~Coxy posted:

Melton Mowbray and Kings Cross could be either eastern states of Australia or the UK... except that the Melton Mowbray is in Tasmania and Kings Cross is in NSW so it's probably the UK after all. :v:
It's the UK, yes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Of course there are rail goons :toot: Toot Toot!:toot:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ctishman posted:

Heya, I'm headed in for a hiring session for Brakeperson/Switchperson at PD1 at the end of this month. I'm wondering if you might be able to tell me a little bit about the day-to-day life of a complete newbie, so I have a better idea of what I'd be getting into. Possible? Drop me a PM, or reply. Tried to send you one, but I can't :(

Don't have PM yet... I need to do that as well. I am sure other goons would be interested in day to day life, and some really care less. This applies to a Class 1 railroad, so short lines and class 2's are some what different, but similar.

Anyways, if you live a life on the Extraboard, you will have no life. It will be consumed by getting called to work every 10 hours to fill in for vacancies around the terminal. The money is freaking amazing but it does get old over time. The goal in life is to get a regular job, and have set hours and know when you go to work. I hope you have a good phone because it will ring.. ALOT. Most of the time you report for duty, get your paper work, and jump on a train take it to the next terminal, and then get off go to the hotel, get your rest, wait for a while then get called and head back home. Rinse, repeat.

For more about working for the railroad, visit https://www.yardlimits.com There is a wealth of knowledge there, just please use the search function... Its really irritating when some one asks the same questions over and over and over.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Thanks! That site looks like a wealth of information!

Toss me an email at ctishman@mac.com and I'll platinum-plate your account.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
What train lines do you guys know about, or have heard about?

Like Nevada County Narrow Gauge was always known as the Never Come Never Go.

http://www.ncngrrmuseum.org/

Union Pacific was Uncle Pete

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Amtrak locomotive 156, a P42 locomotive with an adaptation of the first Amtrak paint scheme from 1972, has been released from our Beech Grove, Ind., facility. It will lead Train 30, the Capitol Limited, leaving this evening from Chicago en route to Washington. Coincidentally, tonight’s Train 30 will also include Amtrak business car 10001, the “Beech Grove.”

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I find those locomotives hideous. I realize they're cool on the inside, but on the outside.. *twitches* It's good they're starting a new line though.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine
OK, not a huge train buff, but the this is bad rear end:http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/293554/Bad-Day-At-Black-Rock-Movie-Clip-Open-Adobe-Flat.html

The director says that the amazing shot from 15 to 22 seconds was a trick http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047849/trivia?tr=tr0747365, but I think was a pilot playing chicken with a train.

Also a great movie...

aswert1223 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 16, 2011

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Copper River and Northwestern Railway, built by the same people as the White Pass, was known as the 'Can't Run and Never Will'.

It actually had a temporary bridge that got washed away with the spring thaw every year and rebuilt. It was even used a couple times for movies as a cheap set, since it didn't cost studios anything other than the cost of travel.

I'm looking for video, but having trouble finding it. I've seen it before, so I know it's out there. I might have to spend some time in the Alaska Archives.

I've also seen UP referred to as "Ultimate Predator" for how many railroads it's eaten.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Other railroad acronyms:

UP = Uncle Pete
BNSF = Better Not Start a Family
NS = Nazi Southern (reference to management...)
CSX = Chemical Spill Express
C&NW = Cheap and Nothing Wasted

Bat Legs
Mar 13, 2006

Here's a cross post from Creative Convention. This is an engine down at my local train park.

It's an immobile sibling of the Santa Fe Engine 3751. Here's an old video promoting the preservation society that keeps it running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFTW3eK8fQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Unfortunately, nicknaming of rail operators in the UK doesn't seem to have moved beyond simply replacing any occurence of "rail" in their names with "fail".

Though the general feeling about the tube can be summed up by this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVJSOFZxDE
(Lyrics NSFW if your volume's turned up)