Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

wolrah posted:

I looked around and found these guys, a club of owners of old track maintenance vehicles which organizes legitimate group runs. Looks like they usually get access to track that's been abandoned, but they also list a few events which look like they're running ahead of an actual maintenance crew on a normally active line that would be closed at the time anyways. Seems to be the way to do it.

I used to have a place I liked to ride my quad which was most easily accessible by riding about a mile down the side of the rails that ran behind my parents' place, so I'm quite familiar with the rail cops and certainly would not want to get on their bad side. For anyone who doesn't know, in most US states the rail cops are considered equal to the state police and have some interstate jurisdiction.

Once I saw the highrail chat I felt I should post this - glad I kept reading to see if I was beaten. My dad's been into railcars/trackspeeders for about 21 years, in which time he's had three: an open Fairmont M19, a partially-enclosed (roof + front) M19, and currently an MT19, which he restored.

They're crude machines. The Ms are a 2-stroke single-cylinder, belt drive, crank start. To reverse you have to turn it off and crank-start it the other way, unless you get the technique down to reverse the spark while it's running. The MTs are nicer, a four-stroke 2-cylinder (I think) Onan engine... with a transmission! There are no creature comforts, though some people have fully-enclosed cabs and add heaters and radios. My dad just has curtains.

Here's the MT:

When I was young I went on rides with him a lot. You see some cool scenery and relics on those rides, stuff you can't see from roadways. You also meet a lot of weird old people, because mostly only weird old people have trackspeeders. My dad, at 60, is on the young side.

The hobby seems to be fading a bit, as it gets harder and harder to find rail they can use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU