Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Hello fellow train fans, not sure how I've missed this thread so far.

This is one of my favorite books of all time, I've had a copy since I was about 8, picked up at some steam museum in the midwest, possibly Nebraska.

http://www.amazon.com/Train-Wrecks-Robert-Carroll-Reed/dp/0517328976

In other rail nerdery, Railroad Tycoon 2 plays perfectly on Windows 7 and I have been putting a ridiculous number of hours into it since getting it on Steam a few months back for $5. You can even make RRT3 work on 7, even though Steam says it's not compatible.

I keep wanting to get one of the more modern games, for those of you have tried the more recent offerings, is Railworks2 the better choice? (over Trainz or MSTS?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Elukka posted:

MSTS has lots of additional paid content, Trainz has the most free content, I believe, and Railworks looks a lot better than either of them and also runs a lot smoother than Trainz which seems to have had poo poo-all optimization done to it. As a downside there's less additional content available for Railworks since it's the newest one.

You'll hear fans of all of them come up with some more or less reasonable arguments for their favorite sim. There's not really a right or wrong choice, but I'd go with Railworks. It's newer, smoother, prettier and has quite a bit of content in the base game.

Thanks for that info!

Regarding level grade crossings, a kid I went to school with wound up dead when the idiots he was riding with drove INTO the side of a train as it went through an intersection at 70mph. The signals were not operating, but everyone in the car was high and drunk so as far as I ever heard, it was considered the fault of the driver and not the train.