Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Xenomrph posted:

I totally get that "the point" of railroad sim videogames is to avoid derailments, but the sociopath in me who plays Grand Theft Auto games so he can cause wanton destruction wishes there were railway sims with "realistic" (or at least "cinematic") physics when you derail a train. Stuff like having cars going tumbling and snapping trees like toothpicks, actual damage to engines/cars, explosions and fire, all that poo poo. :unsmigghh: If I send two freight trains head-on at eachother at 60mph apiece, I want the end result to be completely ridiculous.

Train sims can do 'completely ridiculous' quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06rabZDYDlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Zeether posted:

That is so badass and the best way to celebrate the anniversary of the Tube.

Edit: I found another longer video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-kQ5NLRm0 The sparks flying from Sarah Siddons (the electric locomotive at the other end) are just as badass as the steam from Met no. 1. :black101:

I used to work in the building on the other side of the tracks with a great view into the depot. It would have been awesome to look out of the window and see that.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Just chiming in to say how muuch I've enjoyed Axeman Jim's posts onn excreable British trains. Back in the day I used to travel on the EPB stock and they were unredeemable shitboxes. Having said that they did have very comfy horsehair sttuffed seats - and BR branded antimacassars in the first class compartments.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

Based on my extensive research on BR (reading Axeman Jim's always entertaining posts about them), I'm reasonably sure that at some point in the past BR would have requested a mechanical coal stoker be fitted to an electric train.

Probably. I know the Southern Region ordered a load of diesel locomotives that were wired to provide heat to carriages electrically as opposed to via steam heating. After all - electricity was the future.

Of course once the locos arrived, they realised that all their coaching stock was steam heat only so the new locos (Class 33) dragged another loco along (Class 24) on passenger runs purely as it had a steam heating boiler.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Axeman Jim posted:

The Class 33 design turned out to be remarkably forward-thinking and out-lasted the class 24 in service by over 30 years, there's still a couple of them knocking around the network owned by WCRC, mostly used for ECS/backup locomotives for steam charters. The 33 was a great little loco.

Well, kastein will be pleased to know that BR did gently caress up the supplier of the 33 by demanding a handful of the locos were made 18 inches narrower for the Hastings line. It bankrupted them.
One of the reasons it lasted so long was probably due to the fact that the restrictive loading gauges in the south meant that they couldn't all be replaced by 47s.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

So I was in the highlands of Scotland last week and saw something that made me think of this thread and Axeman Jim in particular.

This handsome beastie here ....

It's the prototype Pacer that was rejected by British Rail as being 'too good expensive'.
Apparently it's been sitting at Dufftown for a while. It was up there before they had a running railway, just a bit of track. They ran it up and down a bit until one of the engines blew and it's currently by far the ugliest thing in a beautiful part of the world.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Every morning for the last few weeks on my commute into London Euston I've gone past a couple of old BR-era diesels parked in the goods yard near Wembley. A class 56 and a class 50. I know I have spent too much time in this thread because I'm always slightly surprised that the Class 50 isn't in flames.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've always believed the Blue Pullman sets had the kernel of a bloody good idea there. I mean the format of the thing isn't a million miles away from the actually good IC125 sets. Of course they had loads of problems that plagued BR kit of that era and lasted no tine at all before being chopped up...

I'm jealous of you being able to poke around the disused bits of the underground. Were you in the old station bit that's being demolished for HS2?

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2018

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

That's a great film.

Getting that steel down to Birmingham so they can make Austin 1100s.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lMyxZgVEKk

WARNING : Includes Mime

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

bennyfactor posted:

Here's the clock face, and a wikipedia article explains some stuff about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_railway_clock

The article reminds me that the real clocks do this little funky dance with the second hand where it speeds up a bit and then pauses at the top of the clock until it gets the exact new minute signal from the master clock.

The clocks in my elementary & middle school did this on the hour because they were controlled master clocks, and there are probably a lot of buildings out there built before cheap quartz wall clocks were common with those sorts of things still. But the Swiss train station clocks are the only ones that do it every minute that I've ever encountered.

As for the watches, I just got whatever one with a men's size face and black strap they were selling 15 years ago in like Spiez or maybe Interlaken but there is now a whole line of them in every shape in size you might desire. https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/at-the-station/services-at-the-station/gift-ideas/mondaine.html

Pretty sure the Dutch Railway clocks (and maybe the French but my memory is more hazy here) have the same system of one revolution of the seconds hand taking 58 seconds and then a 'pause' at 12 o'clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Merry Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doBPp3ZfgLc

Jolly Good!