Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Being from Doncaster originally, there's only one thing I can post in this thread.

:britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

atomicthumbs posted:

The thing in the back is a converted steam locomotive coal tender; it's a coal crusher. This thing ran off coal dust.
http://books.google.com/books?id=fiYDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA103&ots=3wy4cloYko&dq=crushed%20coal%20turbine&pg=PA103#v=onepage&q&f=false

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Crosspost from the mechanical failures thread, courtesy of one of my engineering friends:

"The wheel failure happened many years ago, at sandy, on an intercity train from kings cross.

The axle failure happened near melton Mowbray at speed, and made a mess of a couple of miles of track. Strangely the media managed to not pick up on this story, they just listed it as a broken down train."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slung Blade posted:

There are two sets of images there right? I mean on the first ones, there are brakes on the actual flange, but the bottom two with that kick-rear end spare tire have a big brake disk on the axle in the middle.
Yeah, one's the axle failure, one's the wheel failure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

~Coxy posted:

Melton Mowbray and Kings Cross could be either eastern states of Australia or the UK... except that the Melton Mowbray is in Tasmania and Kings Cross is in NSW so it's probably the UK after all. :v:
It's the UK, yes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Unfortunately, nicknaming of rail operators in the UK doesn't seem to have moved beyond simply replacing any occurence of "rail" in their names with "fail".

Though the general feeling about the tube can be summed up by this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYVJSOFZxDE
(Lyrics NSFW if your volume's turned up)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I'm kinda wondering who makes good model trains now.

HO vs N scale.

FIGHT!
:britain: OO gauge!

Also, courtesy of XKCD:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

OK so who makes great N scale models? I might have some of my old HO poo poo in storage but I figure I need a new hobby that doesn't have me jerking off onto passing cars.
Graham Farrish (they're part of Bachmann now) are pretty good, and not out the way in terms of cost.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My friend bought me a copy of Railworks 2, and there's an add-on pack for a shunting yard in the town I grew up in. :nyoron:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

This used to be the number 1 issue on the railroad. When there is an incident of any kind, a bolt comes loose a mile back in your train, then some part falls off because of it and derails a car. The crew goes in a piss tests and because one of the guys thought it would be cute to eat a brownie while on vacation 25 days earlier in Amsterdam the cause of the derailment is automatically assigned to him. Something damaged? Failed the drug test? Case solved, paperwork filed.
I work in aerospace, and while my company doesn't drug test, a friend working elsewhere had a list of over-the-counter medicine he wasn't allowed, as it'd show a false positive on the drug test, and that's you out the door, no negotiation.

Also, yay for unions that force rules meant for drivers/operators regarding drugs are enforced throughout the company, so even some desk monkey that couldn't do a bit of damage if he lived on space cakes gets jumped on just as hard as someone who could get a dozen other people killed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, even if the bridge isn't damaged, you're going to need to send out someone to assess it anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Those are generally called inclined planes (that being a caisson type), you find them in quite a few canals on a smaller scale. I think the Hay inclined plane near Ironbridge is one of the earliest, though that uses crades for the carrier, rather than a caisson.

Speaking of caissons, it's nothing to do with railways, but if you want to see a full-on :science: idea for moving boats from one level to another, check out Sealed Caisson Locks. We got a couple of them to work (sort of) in the late 18th century, and nothing's been seen of the idea since, but I guess as soon as the Russians find out about it...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Wait, this isn't a parody? :stare:
That particular one is. Sort of.

They made the mistake of encouraging people to mess around and create their own versions of the posters.

Meanwhile, in Japan:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Picture out of nowhere for noreason

Hang on lads, I've got a great idea...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

echoplex posted:

It never really left us, although sadly a huge amount of our grand old stations were refurbed in our era of architectural malaise - Birmingham New Street is just one of the stations that was ruined.
You might want to check out a couple of Gavin Stamp's books, he looks at the huge amount of beautiful architecture that has been wantonly destroyed over the years.

Some of the poo poo they pulled in the sixties/seventies was an atrocity. Again in Birmingham, the destruction of the 19th century Central Library wasn't even necessary, the new building was immediately to the north of it.

At least you can lay the blame for most of Coventry on the Germans :(.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Do I need to put up scans of my Densha De D manga again?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

I loved that Calvin and Hobbes strip too, but you forgot the farmer lighting his stove at the same time.
His eye twitches involuntarily. I love that.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 6, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Impressive repurposing of abandoned colonial rail line.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=625_1348889252
This is fascinating. I wonder how much of a network remains?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You might want to describe the kind of person it's popular with.

Also, UK goons:

Dave's mate posted:

Does anyone know a systems engineer who can manage the reliability and engineering change process for several integrated electronic systems on a train?
Northamptonshire area, drop me a line should it be relevant to you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

Hey, it's the foamer anthem!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it involves the word "manager", they may ask you the usual "Dealing with problematic (in)subordinates" guff. Remember, people are like pens: If they don't work, you shake them. If they still don't work, you throw them away. :hitler:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bytebark posted:

I'm assuming you have a college degree; as a result, expect a lot of the old heads you'll be working with to not trust you because you're a "college boy" and didn't work your way up from being a carman right out of high school. Eventually you'll earn "street cred" with some of these guys, but others you won't. Railroads are full of stubborn individuals and it's something you'll just have to deal with.
This is just engineering and mechanical jobs in general. Some blood and grease on your hands works wonders.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Cops really run the gamut just as everyone else does... what amazes me is how one department can employ the bitterest, angriest rear end in a top hat in the world and next to him will be the complete opposite. You'd think they would have some method for dealing with that.
Yes, they make them partners. You never seen a buddy cop movie?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not like SNCF just said "Hey, we'll send you a few trainloads of Jews, please don't invade our country". How the hell are you meant to be responsible for how an occupying power chooses to use your infrastructure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

They should've thought about that before they got occupied, clearly.
Yeah, but they're French, it's not like they could have done anything about that, either.