Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

This thread caused me to buy Railworks2 on steam...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I have heard that might be out of the window now because of that A380 that blew up an engine- I've heard from people in Aviation that when it went kaboom and the subsequent full load landing, its pretty much written off the airframe.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

For some reason, I figured they'd use an air start on something that big.

Just how big are the starters on those things?

I'm more interested in the knocking noise on startup? Is that even remotely normal??? Last diesel I encountered that made that kind of noise is in my shed getting a full tear down and rebuild!!!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Because of this thread, i spent most of yesterday playing Railroad Tycoon 2...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Talking of accidents, drill baby drill!

Oh well at least there weren't any, oh.

how in the gently caress do you balls up a drilling job that you manage to loose 2 lengths of loving auger? The only way you could do that is if you didnt bolt the things together, and then how the hell did you expect to get them back out of your hole in the first place?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

That there would be a Rail Grinder.

I got to see a rail grinder working out on the Eyre Peninsula in South Aus last summer. We were on our way to a prescribed burn that went pearshaped and came across it in the middle of the night. Thing was starting grass fires left, right and centre!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The big issue with Australia is that its huge and theres gently caress all in the middle of it.

We used to have the Adelaide to Alice springs railway, with road trains taking goods north and south from Darwin to Alice springs before loading them onto the railway for the journey south. From Adelaide goods and people can go East/West to Sydney/Melbourne or to Perth.

In 2000 they decided to build a railway the rest of the way from Alice to Darwin. It cost $1.2 Billion to build, took 4 years to build, and in 2008 the managing company went banckrupt after never turning a profit since the line was opened.

So make your own judgements from that. The other thing is that central Australia is like the midwest- you can have straights that are 10kms long, so working your way around a road train doing 100kph isnt that hard.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The Ghan in Australia uses two NR class diesel electrics to pull it from Adelaide to Darwin and they have variable power GE 7FDL-16 engines, with power levels of 2 850 HP, 3 560 HP or 4 020 HP. Thats a purely passenger train with 2-3 Auto transport carriages.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Why would you stand on the OUTSIDE of that and cut it?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Australia.jpg

Theres a loving bushfire burning in the background :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

IPCRESS posted:

I wonder how their R/C trains will handle a burning journal box - I don't even know if they've got trackside cameras for rolling inspections.

Probably not even give a poo poo about it until it gets to the other end. I passed a rail grinding machine out in the middle of nowhere at night once out on the Eyre Peninsula for work. They'd set fire to about 150km of rail verge and were going full send into the night when we turned away from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I spent the weekend at a place in Australia called Kingoonya. It’s on the trans Australian railroad before it splits at Tarcoola and goes west to Perth and north to Darwin, so we got to sit there and watch every single piece of freight from northern and Western Australia headed to and from the eastern seaboard roll through.

A 1.8km long train full of reefers thundering past 70m from your tent at 100kph at 3am will most definitely wake you up!