Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two killed in a derailment of the Sydney-Melbourne train the other day. Driver and pilot.

https://twitter.com/tamsinroses/status/1231475448074231808?s=19

https://abc.net.au/news/2020-02-23/wallan-train-derailment-could-have-been-prevented-rtbu-says/11992256?pfmredir=sm

quote:

A fire which destroyed the Wallan signal box about three weeks ago left the signals out of action along the section of rail line.

"The line continued operating at full speed, under pilot to navigate the XPT through the affected section," Ms Grigorovitch said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes.

Signal box caught fire the other week so they had a pilot sit with drivers over this section of track while repairs were being made.

This section of track is right beside the mainline, it is just a passing loop (I think) and this accident has cut off freight and intercity passenger trains between Melbourne and Sydney. Although I think the line is cleared by now, it has been a week.

The driver killed had written about that line being shithouse: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-24/driver-of-wallan-train-had-raised-concerns-with-friend/11993466

quote:

The driver killed in the Sydney-to-Melbourne train derailment last week had told a friend about issues along the train line in the month before the fatal crash, an email shows.

The XPT train was carrying 153 passengers when it derailed near Wallan, north of Melbourne, on Thursday night.

Train driver John Kennedy, 54, and a 49-year-old train pilot from Castlemaine died at the scene. Eleven passengers were injured.

In an email to his friend Clive Williams on February 3, Mr Kennedy detailed a list of recent issues on the North East line.

"My last six Melbourne return trips have been very late or cancelled mainly due to train fault issues, 3 of the six runs I was down to one engine, on another trip I had no speedo and the only trip without a train fault was disrupted by the big derailment last week," he wrote.

The derailment he referred to in the email happened at Barnawartha, near the Victoria-New South Wales border, in late January.

Mr Williams, a military professor at the Australian National University and a member of the Canberra-Sydney Rail Action Group, told the ABC Mr Kennedy was fond of the ageing XPT train but issues made it difficult for him to do his job.

He said Mr Kennedy did not have safety concerns relating to the train itself, but was worried about the stretch of track between Albury and Melbourne.

"It was pretty rough track," Mr Williams said.

"It was a lot of sideways, violent sideways movement on some sections."

The XPT service is run by NSW TrainLink, part of Transport for NSW, on federal tracks managed by the Australian Rail Track Corporation [ARTC].

That other de-railment was a container falling off a freight train.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 26, 2020

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Almost got a charge of 'boat wrecking' too.

Attempted boat wrecking?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ticket to Ride

Not sure what boardgame would have guage conversation.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AmtrakGuy365/status/1360074791785496579

this rules

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DrDreHistorian/status/1372763104996585474?s=19

Huh

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
That is in Ballarat (not Canberra as the cctv says)

Happened a year ago.

Here is a good writeup on the incident: https://www.danielbowen.com/2021/04/28/the-ballarat-railway-gate-saga/

These historic gates are located right next to the station, which the train was supposed to stop at, but which it continued past for a few hundred meters given it was going at a high speed.

Still no decision on what will happen but it'll probably be replaced with modern boomgates.

quote:

Ballarat City councillor Samantha McIntosh said it had taken the state government too long to come up with a temporary solution.

“It’s a shame that this interim solution couldn’t have happened a year ago. It’s been a dreadful shame that our community hasn’t had access to Lydiard Street.”

Cr McIntosh said she was “very disappointed” the state government was walking away from integrating the old-style gates into the new system.

“Our community want the gates protected, they want to see the gates operating in some form,” she said.

“The issue was about the fault of the train, not the fault of the gates. I certainly believe over the time the focus has been shifted to be on the gates — not for the right reasons.”

Nick Foa from the Department of Transport said the old gates, which took two minutes to open and had to be monitored via CCTV in Melbourne, were responsible for 60 per cent of delays on the Ballarat line.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 19, 2021

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
CSX hates renewable energy

https://twitter.com/PermianLandman/status/1432187493726756869

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Armoured trains are back, it really is the '20s all over again

https://i.imgur.com/Opsnm6L.mp4

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
In Australia foamers or anoraks are gunzels

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

GotLag posted:

I wonder what the record is for the longest passenger train you can traverse internally

Probably The Ghan, longest regular passenger train, Adelaide to Darwin, average length is 780m but can get upto 1.09km on special trips. Although given it has gold and premium carriages you can't walk the length, but staff can.

53 hour trip to go 3000km and costs about four-six times the airfare.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 30, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

GlassEye-Boy posted:

it's also cheaper and faster if you do it at a large enough scale. everything can be pre-cast and assembled on site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XZOXRgVBMI

State government here is doing a massive level crossing removal program on the suburban train network, given there were like 180 just on the suburban/commuter network in the city across various lines.

They initially announced 50 removals as an election promise to win the 2015 election, currently they've removed 78 out of a now expanded 110 removals. It is mainly a road project, to remove crossings which were down for upto 40 minutes in peak hour in some areas, but it obviously has benefits for trains too allowing more trains on lines with no level crossings remaining and high capacity signalling on what will become a new cross city line. And generally just newer modern stations if they're being rebuilt and less pedestrian interactions with rail lines.

https://bigbuild.vic.gov.au/projects/level-crossing-removal-project

Anyway, for a section near me they decided on doing 4 level crossings and 3 station rebuilds in a 3.5km section as elevated rail which allowed the pylons to be cast in place and then topped off with pre-cast segments to happen while the existing trainline was still operational, which allowed for minimal shutdowns as the pre-cast spans were put together and then rolled into place and lowered 24/7 by gantry cranes and crawlers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGtIIDAgwi4

I have some photos of that from a few years ago now

Partial demolition of the existing surface station, installation of pylons while platforms still operational. This required the removal and re-installation of the gantries with cut out corners to allow the concrete spans to be put in place.

Installing spans between the pylons behind some houses

Assembling and lifting precast segments onto the new 'skyrail' which the crawler would then pick up and move into position driving ontop of the new viaducts.

Using the new station platform as a safety deck above the surface platforms.

During the one long track closure they'd rip up the existing track and install the station internals, stairwells, escalators, lifts and lift prefab buildings into place (waiting room, bike storage, PSO/guard office and toilets)

And now we have some almost identical Battlstar Galactica lookin' stations in a couple of suburbs which are cool as hell

Anyway, these were more expensive builds and other elevated stations and segments are a bit cheaper overall with single pre-cast spans where possible, this segment had a very narrow rail corridor so no room for cranes beside the tracks to lift things.

Funnily enough this wildly popular program is very good politically given people see benefits in their local communities and infrastructure spending. Of course 'skyrail' had a huge scare campaign so some areas have been trenched which overall I think is a worse outcome given that still divides suburbs and results in no new parklands or trails.

Have some local trains, photos not mine

Freight train from a papermill

Regional V/line Vlocity 3 car set

Heritage diesel tour with old carriages

And because steam trains are cool here is a video from a few years ago when the elevated rail segments on that line just opened while the stations were still being completed and various works were still happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7qdR6rtC0M

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Sleepy train taking a nap under a bridge

Thankfully no hitting the bridge at speed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_rail_disaster

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
So one of the big rail projects here in Melbourne has reached a milestone, the Metro Tunnel (not an actual metro line) which will be connecting two suburban lines in a new tunnel under the city, with 3 brand new stations and 2 new underground sections of existing stations into a single continuous 91km long crosscity line.

The tunnel was handed over from the construction consortium to the operator (suburban trains are operated by Metro Trains Melbourne) on the weekend and after the tracks were connected up to the mainline at either end last week and a couple of crossovers removed in preparation for future through-running, during an overnight shutdown the first two test trains finally went through the tunnel where they'll remain for a few weeks of initial testing.

The tunnels will be using new Communications based train control (CBTC or High capacity) signalling, with testing of that capability having been done over the past few months on the existing mainline using the same trainsets, which will be switched on permanently next month and replacing the Automatic Block Signalling for a good 30km of the line.

The Eastern portal has the new tunnel ramp structure between the up and down Dandenong line tracks, so the cutting had to be widened a little and these new tracks dive below the Dandenong Up, Frankston Line and even the Sandringham line tracks.

Unfortunately new underground platforms for South Yarra station (top right) were not built as part of the new tunnel, cost was cited (~2bn estimate) which is a shame as South Yarra has three trainline running through it so it'd be a great interchange, especially with new high density being built in the area. Alas, people will have to go two more stops before they can interchange with the tunnel if they're on the Frankston or Sandringham lines (or interchange further back down the line for Frankston trains)

The park at the junction has been a construction site for half a decade now, but has recently been rebuilt and restored as a grassy hill. But now there is a major new substation for the tunnel built underneath and ventilation building built where the TBMs were retrived from that pit on Osbourne street.

And the tracks at the other end of the tunnel that were connected last week

Bonus picture of the Electrical Trades Union shirts for this project

Anyway, big train milestone, hopefully the massive new stations and line opens within 12 months, while stage 1 of another huge tunneling project kicks off soon in the suburbs.

Edit: The head of the public transport users advocacy group had a decent short interview about it on tv
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1683729957044748289

drunkill fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 25, 2023

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Speaking of rail grinding, saw some newly laid tram tracks getting a proper profile last night while out on a walk.

The station was rebuilt and reopened last month, so the tram tracks are part of the road deck or bridge over the new rail trench below, replacing an old tram square level crossing which forced every train (including expresses) to slow to 25kph or risk derailment or a pantograph being torn off, which had happened to a few trams over the years, thankfully the tram depot is only a kilometer down the road so they're pretty quick to send another tram or a truck to tow it off the level crossing... which is now no longer required.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Huh, I was wondering what the new station looked like at surface-level, it's actually quite nice. All I've seen of it is going by at track-level on the train to the city :v:. And yeah, that crossing was a godawful bottleneck that slowed down everything crossing it to a crawl. I'm surprised they didn't take it out sooner, because it was probably the biggest problem on that section of the line.

For the non-Victorians, that's the only one with a tram track across the intersection, the other station-adjacent intersections along that stretch of the Frankston line just dealt with road traffic before the stations were all rebuilt underground.

Kooyong Rd and Riversdale Rd at Kooyong and Riversdale stations respectively still have tram squares, but both the Glen Waverly and Alamein lines are not super busy so they'll be down the order for level crossing removals.

Yeah its not bad, nice forecourt, and it now has the only level access tram stop on route 67 (which has no low floor trams, still running B2 and Z3 classes) past St Kilda junction... which is pretty pathetic given the government supposedly has 7 years to make ~1200 tram stops accessible...

The worst thing about it is the same as many of the new stations on the Frankston line, three platforms and only three tracks. Get rid of the third platform and make it quadtracked all the way down to Mordialloc for express services.

The second worst thing is the platforms are mostly North of Glenhunty road, except the stairs lead to the most Southern end of the platform, instead of being somewhere in the middle. Also because the platforms are a little longer to accommodate future rollingstock, it means the bottom of the steps are actually about 10-15m past the last door of the trains.

Third problem is related, there is no Northern entrance on the North side of Glenhuntly road or even towards Neerim Rd. Except the emergency stairs on platform three. Oh well, missed opportunity to tie into buses along Neerim rd.

But hey, it is serviceable and better than before. These photos are from the morning it opened, while works above ground were still ongoing

This is right up against the fence at the end of the platform, the stairs should be about 40m back at least, ah well.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some Truckfuckling happened this morning here.

Somehow, a truck and dog went down a one way road which only leads to a trainstation staff carpark and platforms 4 and 5 of a station, somehow, and then managed to almost fall off a bridge while trying to reverse, in the process dumping soil onto the only pair of dual gauge tracks leading into the Port of Melbourne and the city, which meant The Overland train had to be replaced by buses while interstate freight was also delayed.

Some A grade truckfuckling

The incident occurred here, on McNabb avenue, on the bridge over the freight tracks that dive down into a tunnel. Normally the truck incidents in Footscray are oversize loads hitting the Napier st bridge 200m to the South and causing trains to be delayed until the bridge is inspected.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-37.8021884,144.9014127,121m/data=!3m1!1e3?authuser=0&entry=ttu

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

The dog is the trailer hanging off the bridge, so no.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Saukkis posted:

Speaking of color, is cream yellow and green some kind of traditional color for trams? That has been the color scheme for Helsinki trams, but I have also seen pictures of Japanese trams with identical coloring.

Yep, Melbourne Trams, Trains and Buses were in Green and Gold (well, cream) for Metropolitan Transit Authority (The Met)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Transit_Authority_%28Victoria%29

Some photos below, all from the Vicsig website which is full on gunzel, recording everything possible to do with trains and trams in Victoria, Australia: Look at the portal for Trams on their site https://vicsig.net/index.php?page=trams&section=rollingstock

Restored City Circle tram SW6.946 undergoing testing at Preston Workshops (Friday, 7th December 2012)

Z Class tram number 1, in 1999

Z3.118 and Z3.188 cross at La Trobe and Swanston Streets, City

B1 Class tram 2001 is photographed here at 20:01 on 20-01-2001 at South Melbourne Beach - route 01 - terminus

And while The Met was broken up and privatised by a previous government, the green and gold (and white) colour scheme still exists for trams, the Z Class and B classes were also refurbished just the other year for a final end of life extension.

The newest class of tram, built over the last decade, the E Class (and E2 varient for the newer ones)

While a smaller G Class is about to go into production to slowly replace Z class trams over the next 15 years. The Cowards skipped F Class. The E Class draws heaps of power and required substation upgrades across the routes they run, so the G class will draw less power (being lighter trams) allowing them to more frequently than E class trams can on un-upgraded routes.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Orange is also the best color for mass transit and light rail

And speaking or Orange, at the same time as the Met was Green and Gold, V/Line was Tangerine and Grey back in the 80s and 90s and it owns. V/Line were the regional passenger Train, Coach and Freight operator, still running today as a Govt owned company, although the freight arm was spun off as V/Line Freight which eventually became Pacific National.

A Class loco in 1992

A Classes with powervans and carriages

N Class in orange

A66 was restored a decade ago and got a new coat of paint in 2022 when it was handed over to a heritage group, who lease it out when they're not running it.
And a Y Class in its ugly purple and hazard yellow livery, shunting carriages in the current purple livery.

A66 and two N classes pulling a tour train on a section of 'skyrail'

And way back the Hitachis were good, silver beasts with a touch of green and gold running through the suburbs

And the wonderful comeng (commonwealth engineering) in the original faceplate and livery, they're still in service with multiple refits and upgrades but the fronts are ugly as gently caress now

And funnily enough the Z class trams were orange when they were first built in 1979...

Random Melbourne/Victoria post, anyway i grabbed all these images (and re-uploaded them on imgur) from Vicsig, check out and keep refreshing the random photo page for a wide selection of photos ranging from gunzel photography to track repairs, various liveries etc: https://vicsig.net/photos/randomphotos

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Feb 6, 2024

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't tell lies, drunkill; The Hitachi's were never good.

they had the best seats, if they weren't cut up, remember actual thick foam seats on trains?

Also you could open the windows.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting they had no air conditioning, drunkill. It wasn't a thing until the last handful of the drat things were pushed back into use. Any time it was over 30, it was abominable in one of those tin cans.

Also no legroom for the most part, let alone the dreaded Corner Seat.

I forgetting it a bit given its been 20 years since i caught them to highschool, but yeah.

Also going through the city loop with the windows down was deafening. But they were still good trains, better than the xtraps and siemens replacing them, and OG comengs with the big seats, so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Nigerian rail stays winning

https://twitter.com/paul_winginit/status/1780181643984322921