Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

How do trains handle reefer units? Do they? Does the train crew have to check the reefer units?

Not anymore. Most have GPS monitors that do all that stuff. With all the "green" things coming into play they really are super efficient. The GPS will alert a center saying "door is opened" or "low fuel".

I actually popped the cover on one to check out the engine (what good AI'er would I be if I didn't?). The one I found had a Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel. This was a bigger reefer car with a Carrier refrigeration unit. Most of them have 500 gallon diesel tanks. I think this is the same diesel John Deere uses in their tractors, and the only reason I am assuming that is because it had a JD oil & fuel filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

We have guidelines for running ECP trains. The only ECP trains we have are rare unit trains of all the same kind of car. I haven't seen one for a couple years now. I have seen even less of the ECP retrofit boxes on top of any of the control stands in a while either.

Those ECP are in the south... They are interchanged with the NS... I think its ZLANO or something along those lines. Its just a stacker, I think there is like 6 train sets or so. I think its like 12 or so 7000's that have the control stands on them.

Ok, I just got back into the chair after a 3 year absence and is it just me or the newer SD70ACe's don't grip the rail worth a poo poo?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Canna Happy posted:

Ah yeah, I thought you were talking about 6.27

6.27 has become a huge issue on our service unit... But yet again, we are pretty much in the shitter in terms of de-certs and "human" factor derailments. So we get to shove all long draw bars to a joint, then the next car on top of that long draw bar has to be made to a joint.

We are a flat switching yard with a kick rear end bowl (seriously some awesome engineering went into this yard). Normally kicking cars, we could easily switch out around 400 cars a shift. Now we are lucky to break 200... talk about boring as gently caress.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
poo poo exploding.
http://youtu.be/mCk21G2LR-M

AI as gently caress :coal:. Melting dynamic brake grids are loving awesome.

poo poo on fire.
http://youtu.be/UYpXwLg5GeM

A while back we had an old Dash-8 narrow cab that would either shoot flames at notch 5 or higher and throw sparks at 1/4 effort of dynamic breaks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

What is a foamer you ask?

This is a foamer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhYXNwvcl6A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c3NqnEX6vY

That guy takes it above and beyond.

This summer, we were detouring over another RR because of all the flooding down south. So that really drug the foamers out. And then to add fuel to the fire, I had a consist of a UP engine, a patched Southern Pacific engine, and a patched CNW engine all on the head end. We were followed for roughly 170 some miles by the same group of people....

Also the new SD70ACe's are loving rattle traps. And I want to know the genius that thought it would be a good idea to stick the breakers in completely separate compartment on the outside of the engine.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

The 8000 numbered ones will make your back hurt! :(

Do you miss the brown seats? Because those black ones are killer on the back. The 4000's have a mix between brown and black.

Just brought brought down a 28,000 ton sand train. 189 cars, about 12,000 foot. Mostly short little sand cars though. drat thing would take off on you unless you were paying attention. 3 AC4400's in the front, 2 AC4400's in the middle and 2 AC4400's in the rear. I don't know if I spent more time on the throttle or setting up a fence to keep the train together. At one point my head end was cresting a hill, the middle portion was at the bottom of the hill and the rear end cresting a hog back.

At one point I had the head consist in notch 5, the middle in notch 3 and the rears in notch 5. Mountain guys have it so much easier. Either your in full power or full dynamic braking.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

Are the seats in locomotives air-ride like in trucks?

HA! I wish. They are bolted right to the floor.

Though the CN has about the best units... Most have microwaves and tea kettles. They are good for us sacks that are stuck cooking with turbo's

http://www.nebraska-locksmith.com/articles/ManifoldM.pdf

yes, we do that crap. I mostly have my food pre made and warm them up.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

ijustam posted:

:psyduck: that's terrible

If you work for the railroad its pretty well known that they openly hate their employees. I know most companies at least act like they care for you, but this place openly hates you. Your just a number and a liability. Do some reading on FELA (federal employees liability). Basically they just place any blame on the employee.

Honestly, most guys that work here hate the company but do love what they do for a living. I really do running engines, and there are not very many people that work for the railroad. If you want to do some reading, look up a book called Railroad Noir by Linda Neimann.

Oh and for people who are concerned about crappers, we do have them! The best ones are the air powered flushers, like a plane. They stay about the cleanest, the chemical toilets can get down right nasty... think porta potty style, but baking and sloshing around for a good couple of weeks.

Among rails, its very socially unacceptable to poop in the lead unit. Every one craps on the second unit. If you do, you end up with a nickname. And this is a place that remembers a nick name better than your real name.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

On a separate item. The UPRR has hired social media monitors.

There was an employee in my territory that got Level 5'ed for posting about golfing at and being at the shooting range when he called in sick. Even had pictures up and was pretty proud of it.

Big bro' is watching!

On another related note.

http://youtu.be/7_6to6eRMos?t=38s

Oh and for the people who like tanks and trains... Here is an old video, its amazing how rails mobilized the country for war.

http://youtu.be/xrCIbKyYRqg

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 22, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Scarily enough.. There is poo poo load of money involved with railroads.

At the time, the Penn Central bankruptcy was the biggest corporate failure in the US. And I am sure in terms of inflation, it still ranks up there. Not only in just "cash" but if you think in terms of the land alone that railroads hold is astonishing. They even hold places that tracks haven't touched in years.

If you ever some times get bored and look at google maps, you may see a place where google shows tracks but there isn't any.. that is where the railroad still holds the land.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That is why we have ATC. If you have anything less than a clear it forces you to 17 mph or less.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

We have cab signals too. But popping the reverser forward and seeing a proceed and then taking off hell bent for leather is suicide.

UP CCS are a joke. Where else can you fly by while the cab signals change, just acknowledge them, and continue at your current speed with out it being enforced.

I just find them kinda cheesy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KennyLoggins posted:

Here is another shot:

Surprised it has no dynamic brake UP must use these on the plains.

Actually the vents behind the cab is the dynamics. All S560s and newer units are not as obvious about the dynamics.

The SD40s were the last ones with "blisters". And no, the UP doesn't really care where units go. As long as there is appropriate powered axles per ton and equivalent dynamic braking axles per ton, units just go where ever. But mostly you will find the AC4400's on coal and bulk trains.

There is actually a blue, green, red, black and bulk unit groups. Units are classified into them based on how many miles an engine runs and so forth. I think there is a manifest pool as well. I cant remember of the top of my head, I will look tomorrow.

The SD40's are currently getting rebuilt. I don't like them at all, they just don't load up like the old SD40s. To much computer crap and fuel saving technologies getting in the way.

Oh and I just started holding a regular job... 1st shift, Sat/Sun off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Slung Blade posted:

That's quite the collection of horsepower there.

Repair yard or something?

Storage.

Its very bad to see that many units sitting idle.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

echoplex posted:

Cool train stations

I am always impressed with how intricate and unique train stations are. Airports always look so bland and boring. Take one step into Grand Central in NY and then step into JFK (about the best looking of the 3 in the are).

I don't care what any one says, there is something classy about the sound of the marble floors, the hustle and bustle of people getting from train to train, the intricate scroll work on the trim, and the golden clock in the middle of the room.

Makes you almost wish for the golden age of train travel.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you guys wondered what switchmen do... here is a good video that kinda shows us in action. I am the guy at 3:01.... Minus the jacket.

http://youtu.be/6UkNNDUUR9Y

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 18, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Again, the newer 8000's just suck at life.

I wish I shot a photo of the Switch engine that show oil out the stack all over the side of it. Pretty drat bad rear end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Giblet Plus! posted:

What are you talking about? That is clearly an EMD SD70ACe.

Sorry, the UP numbers the newer ACes in the 8000's. And yes, they still suck at life. The cabs rattle worse than most 90's eras GM cars, they don't load very well, they can't hold the rail (meaning traction wise) and for some reason, they have the most obnoxious horn on the face of the planet.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Giblet Plus! posted:

Sorry, didn't realize you were a foamer. Nobody else cares about locomotive numbers.

Your complaint about not "holding the rail well" is incorrect. In CSX tests, similarly setup locomotives from both manufacturers generated the same TE numbers.

Your concern about the nathan horn is personal preference only.

Their cab isolation system is garbage. The limiters for its travel are removed from the rest of the suspension of the cab, and they do not always line up as they should. Additionally, the links locating the cab over constrain its motion and cause binding if not manually adjusted. Making matters worse, the cab is trimmed with the equivalent quality of a school bus, providing lots of material for BSR (buzz squeaks and rattles).

They have a working engine isolation system that removes the need for the cab isolation. It has been tested on an SD60M.

I actually work for the Union Pacific. I don't know where your getting foamer from. I just call them newer 8000's because that's the numbers. Actually all the 8000s are garbage. The lower numbered ones are poo poo as well, same problems, poor loading and the truck hunting is terrible.

Plus the horn being louder than all get out is annoying for us smokers that like to have the windows open.

All these new EMD products suck.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I don't know for sure. Next time I go into work, I will take a look, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

Though I do like the software that is used for the Distributed Power set up. Feels easier to use and set up a fence or un-fence the consist. The abomination that GE uses just sucks.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Well, I was called in....

27,000 tons, roughly 2.75 miles long, 6 units in 3x1x2. That makes for 26,400 HP, all AC traction motored units. Its going to be a fun night... Blech.

I do have a unit that is a notorious truck hunter, so I will take a look and see if its that HTCR 4. But the way the UP maintains their equipment, I wouldn't be shocked if the shocks are completely shot.

For a machine that costs around 2.5 million dollars, they would take a little better care of them.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

I always make the conductor dismount first when there is a foamer trying to corner us. It is a seniority move. :smug:

Your that guy. I hate you. And if I could get away with it, I would totally moon them. But yeah... that whole rule 1.6 could be a real rear end kicker.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

bytebark posted:

Pretty much all steam locomotives are like that. Modern rolling stock is incredibly modular in comparison. The railway museum I'm involved with is gradually restoring a small Union Pacific steam locomotive (to operation), and it's been a really slow process. At one point I asked one of the guys working on it what was the most time-consuming part of it, and his answer was "Well we're working on putting it back together, but it doesn't want to be put back together."

On top of that, most roads "customized" their engines. Meaning a 4-8-4 from one road could not change parts with another 4-8-4. Even today, its still the same thing. CSX engines are completely different than UP engines. Even new Canadian National engines do not have AC, and the Mexican roads have no heaters.

Its like building a hot road, sure maybe its a chevy 350 motor, but every thing else is all your work.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Let me take a picture of the rotary HVAC knob the next time I get a CN unit with no AC and blistering 100+ heat index. Trust me, the conductor and myself looked up and down for it.

I think it was an SD70 something or other, it was a wide body. And those things have poo poo for ventilation.

Either way... gently caress foreign road power. Or the rent a wrecks. Just give me an engine with a regular control stand, working AC, and brown colored seats (black seats are hard as gently caress) and I am happy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

b0nes posted:

As a train operator, how do you calculate how much distance you need to brake if say ahead you see or hear of someone stuck on the tracks?

It really depends on what your about to hit as well and what kind of train. Car? 20 Lbs reduction and hope for the best. Tanker trailer on a semi of questionable contents? Plug it and find a place where you wont die in a possible fireball.

We try to avoiding going into emergency. If its a loaded coal train, the chances for a derailment are pretty slim. A sloppy manifest with lots of cushioned draw bars and a lovely load profile, that is one you want to avoid going into emergency, lots of poo poo can happen.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Zeether posted:

Probably has something to do with the weight of the locomotive compared to the weight of the cars.

Not really. Its more to deal with slack action and load profiles. Say you have 10 loaded hoppers, a empty lumber flat, then 10 more loaded hoppers. If you put the train in emergency, the brakes on the first car set, then second car, then third and so on (its pretty instant, but still does take time). Well, the lumber flat has long cushioned draw bars and could end up "string lining" or something to that effect, where the draw bars can actually flop to one side and cause the car to ride up and come off the rail.

Its actually pretty hard to describe with out the physics of seeing it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
In other words... poo poo happens out here.

I live the words of what the old heads tell me.... thump it then dump it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InterceptorV8 posted:

So the brakes work like a normal car and not like a semi? Or it does both....maybe?

:psyduck:

Its kind of hard to describe with out seeing it but I will try to explain it best....

Scenario 1: Conventional train, engines on the front and cars on the rear. When there is a brake pipe reduction, the first car closest to the engine sets first, then the next car, then so on. Yes its very quick, but it does happen like that.

Scenario 2: Distributed Power, also known as DPU. Brake pipe reduction happens from both ends. When the front engines set air, the rear engine also makes the same reduction, resulting in brakes setting from both ends towards the middle. IE car 1 and car 99 set air, then car 2 and car 98 set air and so on.

Scenario 3: Mid Train DPU. Engines on the front, and engines in the middle of the train. Again, air sets 1st car, 50th car next to middle train engine and 51st car sets air. Then car 2 sets air, 49th car sets air and 52nd car sets air.

That is the basic set up of most trains, and does takes a little skill on how you plan to make a stop. As silly as this sounds, I run the train with my butt. Yes, you can actually feel how a train is reacting with how it feels. I think bt4com can attest to this, but after a while, you develop a feel for what is going on behind the engines. It takes time, and a little patience. I learned it from the old guys, and when I train a new guy, I tell them the same. Run it from your rear end and not from what the book tells you. Because college degree does not mean the same as time in the chair :)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

Just curious - what's the reason behind this setup? I spent a week in Wisconsin at the start of last month for a family reunion and a BNSF north/south line runs right through my grandmother's family's property along the Mississippi (so we end up watching a lot of trains go by.) About every third train had an engine on the rear, the best explanation we could come up with was so they could change direction without having to move the engines around.

Nope. Fuel savings. 3 units on a conventional train actually burn more fuel than 2 on the head end and 1 on the rear. I do not know the exact science behind all of it, but it does burn less fuel. I imagine some one else has the exact reason behind all of it. All I know is it makes running a heavy coal train easier.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is an industry that technology works against. Sure there was the change from steam to diesel... loss of the caboose... and a few other things, but very very little has changed.

Even the concrete ties that MOW installed works great in the desert but in northern climates, they are absolute decimated. I have personally seen the UP throw away millions of dollars on trying to keep concrete ties working on the Overland route (LA-Chicago). But you can see piles upon piles of busted concrete ties next to the right of way in our territory.

RCO's (remote control operations) are still ineffective. Sure it looks awesome on paper but it cuts down on efficiency. Sure they have their place on the RR, but rarely work.

But in reality is, this is an industry that thrives on old fashion human interaction. PTC I feel will be a giant disaster.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

Locomotives do have enough throttle and brake force to roll or dislodge the rail.

But, that actually looks like speeding to me. Most yard crossovers and switches are only 10 MPH and some are 5 MPH.

Just because that is what I think happened doesn't mean that is what happened.

For example, maybe someone else went over it too fast or too powerfully and dislodged it.

or

Maybe nobody has inspected let alone maintained that piece of track for years.

No matter what, the result can be similar in each case.

We all know the correct answer. Blame the engineer, improper throttle modulation. Pee in a cup, get 30 days on the street.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Yes, if equipped, locomotives do use dynamic braking.

Simple terms follow...

Say your cresting a grade, and you have 2 SD70's and about 7,000 trailing tons. You know that your head end is starting over the hill and there is a 40MPH restriction with in 1 mile. So you slowly notch down from say 6th notch to idle. After waiting 10 seconds from the transition from idle to dynamics, you slowly bunch the slack and use your dynamics to adjust your speed. Also, while doing all modulation, you watch your accelerometer to see what your future speed is. Its a little bit of finesse, but more just knowing your territory. Some times, you know its best to just "drift" where you may just leave the throttle in idle and let the train do the work of coming over the hill and pushing you up the next hill.

Knowing your territory is huge. I know it sounds a little crazy, but its very true. I know a few old guys that can actually know where the next crossing is and whistle for it to the tee, just because they know where the throttle is at.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I'm kinda embarrassed for the host of 'Extreme Trains' on History Channel. The voice-over work is cool, but holy poo poo he sounds like a foaming 'sperg lord when they're filming from the railroad.

Hes trying to make it exciting... because lets face it.

Railroading is pretty boring poo poo. Mostly just hurry up and wait. Hell, I spend about 5 hours of my day sitting still.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

You Am I posted:

Yeah, but that's due to your Range Rover being broken down, rather than the train :downsrim:

Ha! Actually that's been the only reliable vehicle lately!

Yep, I said Reliable and "A British built vehicle" in the same sentence.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rat Poisson posted:

I'm guessing that railroads have some special protection from eminent domain proceedings, probably dating back to the 1800s?

Pretty much yes.

Railroads are one of the largest land holding companies in the US. They still even hang on to abandoned right of ways still, and have other areas of holdings. Railroads are a very lucrative business and a place to work for.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Falkenbok posted:

By no means a subject matter expert, but my understanding is that without excitation current, there can be no dynamic braking. Cooling of the resistor stack becomes moot.

I'm certain that electric trains still use pneumatic brakes, so stopping the trainset is independent of electical supply.

From what I have seen transporting the new Metro North cars from Lincoln NE to points east, they still use regular old air brakes. Plus the main air tank still holds air for some time, so there is redundancy.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Edit: I cant edit images.. brb.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Canadians are really mean to their crew callers..... I wish I could get away with half the crap these two videos do... Don't play this loud at work or around small children.

http://youtu.be/UakdYcUIWCo

http://youtu.be/KUZEa9PN28s

Been out on the ski-doos and drank 5 million thousand gallons of whiskey...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Brother Jonathan posted:

I am maybe biased by where I live. Here in the Carolinas among railfans I've chatted with, CSX has a reputation for management clusterfucks and NS has a reputation for bad labor relations. (The NS "dry hopper" toilets were infamous.)

They don't call it the Nazi Southern or the Chicken poo poo Express for nothing! Of course, we have nicknames for them all... Cant spell stupid with UP or Big Now, Still hosed.

Oddly enough, KCS doesn't have any nicknames. But I hear out of all class 1's to work for, the KCS is about the best to work for, next to the CN, which just pays ridiculously well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Brother Jonathan posted:

Some random fun images:

Bailey Yard, North Platte, Nebraska:

(click for friggin' huge)

For any one who really cares, the one to the left is called the "west" yard and right lower one is the "east yard". The reason the east yard is larger is due to the fact of more east bound traffic heading to points east, also a large majority of traffic. Or that is what the north platte guys tell me.