Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

evil_bunnY posted:

What a lovely workplace.

We refer to it as "you don't get the big picture"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Most rail yards are considered superfund sites, fwiw

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

someone posted an english fireman/engineer video from the 30s or 40s that says exactly that.

poo poo is going to get ugly between CP and everyone else. UP has pledged to block any merger. NS wants nothing to do with it. any merger kind of forces UP/BNSF to take a shot at CSX.

Something is going on, and it isn't pretty. With coal destroyed, there's way less traffic, and these railroads are wanting to make things more streamlined. The up has stored a ton of units, and there's empty coal hoppers and cars parked everywhere.

It's getting ugly, some one is bound to fall, but it won't be a western road. Personally, I have been waiting for KCS to get shook down for mergers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

CSX and NS have both consolidated central appalachian divisions in the last month because the bottom has fallen out of coal. all the coal drags and yard jobs at the coal piers here are getting slashed.

acquiring KCS doesn't seem like it would do anyone any good. KCS doesn't go to chicago/own a stake in a chicago switching railroad, CP doesn't have a connection and BNSF/UP already service their US territory. not that rail mergers have to make sense. historically, they haven't. CSX/NS would gain some additional markets without too much duplication of routes and facilities but i dont think either has much interest given how aggressive CP has been acting.

i think the only thing that is going to prevent a round of mergers is the STB and Congress but thats just me talking out of my rear end.

its only going to get uglier as we start heading towards a likely recession.

I don't think we are headed towards a 2008/2009 recession. It's going to be tepid at best growth for a while, our dollar is very strong which is killing the exports. Plus coupled with oil producers keeping the tap wide open, we are going to have cheap oil for some time, which hurts sand and pipe (industrial) shipments. Coal has been dying since 08, the railroads should have said "golly a revenue source is in decline, let's find new business". Nope, it's all about next quarter, gently caress thinking 10 years ahead.

But any that thought China was going to continue with 10% growth every year is a flat out moron.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Traditional boxcar/merchandise traffic is needed to provide additional support. There's so many places along my neck of the woods of customers they chased away that could easily get service again with a few ties and minimal work.

It's going to be an interesting 5 years ahead of us

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Also add "drill baby drill"

It's very similar to the housing crash, glut of supply and no demand.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Class 442 is third rail powered correct? Its strange that your third rails aren't covered. Figured leaves and snow would be hell on reliability.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Axeman Jim posted:

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

So you had the cost cutting rail executives from America design your poo poo. Cool.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

B4Ctom1 posted:

This, plus using in-cab cameras to make highlight lowlight reels of engineers and conductors performing/behaving badly will be how the public will be convinced on why it is just as ok for a humanless train to annihilate an entire town as one with a human on it.

TE&Y are pretty good at eliminating their own jobs. I know if the carrier can eliminate grade crossings the railroads would go to full on automation with roaming mechanics to fix crap as it breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That makes me miss my home state. Love the response of the locomotive engineer when asked if he's OK:

"Oh yeah no problem"

That truck driver is lucky as gently caress.

God drat, thats a hell of ride down the tracks.