Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zeether posted:

I just saw this picture on Tumblr with people saying "Oh my god, imagine how great this would be" and all I could think of was "This won't work at all and I can give a million reasons why":

I see the pink line going through my area to Montreal and Boston and it just depresses me that this will never happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tex Avery posted:

This kind of poo poo really pisses me off. The Grand Canyon Railway has two cars that are exactly the same, save for the name and the number, called "Arizona" and "Bright Angel". There was two loving weeks where every night, I would get orders to take one off, put the other one on. There was nothing wrong with the cars mechanically, it was just the guys setting up the manifest were dicks. It's annoying and inefficient.

In other news, I'm going up to Anchorage next week to interview for a conductor position on the Alaska Railroad. Has anybody here had any experience with them?
You work on the GCR? Are you or anyone else there aware how idiotic and obnoxious the cowboy "entertainment" is on those train rides? If I'm on a train going to see one of the greatest natural wonders in the world, who can possibly believe that it elevates the experience to have a man dressed as a cowboy with a guitar telling jokes? Who loving thinks that? What is this, a county fair sideshow in Kansas? I know you have nothing to do with that, but honestly. Honestly.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Tex Avery posted:

This is the highlight of my list of reasons of what's wrong with that railway. They'll tell you all fuckin' day, "Tip the singers, get out some money for the robbers!" Those cowboys keep the money for themselves. Meanwhile, the car attendant who's been making drinks, handing out information, and basically being your planner for the day usually doesn't bring home much in tips, and they are strictly forbidden from making it known in any way that they accept tips. gently caress that place.
I did the GCR twice and although I loving HATED the cowboy poo poo, I loved the overall experience. Trains are awesome and the grand canyon is awesome. Both times the attendant ladies were good, and one time she was totally great. Told us all kinds of interesting historical things about the high desert, what the native americans called the canyon, told us about the hiking she did in it and how seriously you have to plan for hiking in it.

What you're describing sounds like some kind of sociologist experiment with reviving 1950s sexism. "Oh the silly flight attendants can't do anything useful and they'll be unreliable due to their menstrual cycles, let's not pay them. Get some MEN in here to get things done. They'll need compensation. And cowboy boots." Kind of appropriate for the southwest, I suppose. gently caress that entire region.