Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

You know what would be really good for safety? Taking the seats out of cabs. Its pretty hard to fall asleep standing up.

Better than that, just go ahead and install a vigilance system that zaps them with a few hundred volts if they don't respond to the warning within 2 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

EightBit posted:

They couldn't do that with some kind of satellite system?

Guessing it'd be too prone to weather and other interference (tunnels) to be reliable enough to be used as a safety system

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Current RCO units use them. Guess how good they are?

I don't want to know. At all. I'll just give it the signals and pray

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Das Volk posted:

Are the rail unions not able to negotiate sane hours for their workforce?

They'd love to, but the trains still have to run no matter what time they show up. Important locations can't be unattended. Also never underestimate the power of rail company management who will stop at literally nothing to do more with (and for) less, regardless of the human factor and longer term consequences.

When pushed, they do not give a poo poo about safety so long as the trains are running and profit is being made. They will bring the most incredulous games and powerplays to remove anyone who gets in their road or does something they don't like.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Yeah, of course they could fix it if they wanted to, but that involves having more people on standby and more people trained up to do each and every front line job, and there's no chance in hell they're paying for that without the highest court order in the land, and even then they'll try to cut corners

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

FISHMANPET posted:

For what it's worth, from watching the overhead shots in Great British Railway Journeys, on double track sections, the train tends to drive on the left.

Seems to me that it's pretty similar to the road setup. Great Britain, Australia etc are on the left, while the US enjoys being different

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Cygni posted:

:staredog:

This doesnt... I mean how... I just...

Absolutely incredible. I am just sitting here re-reading the post and laughing.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

EightBit posted:

I'm more astonished that people can't hold it for 90 minutes. I've been stuck in traffic while driving for longer than that.

Never underestimate a public transport commuter's ability to make a horrendous decision and blame it on someone else

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What a ridiculous trademark.

Welcome to Australia!

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Axeman Jim posted:

Next: Part 4. Oh, Dr Beeching.

Oh boy. Here we go!

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

FISHMANPET posted:

I just looked at the website for this, it all seems rather... hostile. And why would they make you sign an NDA?

Wouldn't want any chance of the plans to a steam locomotive being leaked now, would we

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Did somebody say coal trains?

Nice. Where is this?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Yeah, you'd think there'd be a few inspections scheduled for the track after it's been through!

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Get her into a signal box!

"There's a train! Oh there's another one. And another one. Another one down here!"

...probably only effective if it looks out over a junction, but hey, some of those still exist

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Christ, see them scrambling just before the impact

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
What's that fifth vehicle? Can't quite make it out, is it covered seating or something?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Mustache Ride posted:

Yeah it's an outdoor seating car. People are only ticketed for the passenger cars, but they have these outdoor cars every so often so you can go outside and look at the scenery.

Most people didn't stay out there because this is Arizona in the summer and it was 110+F

That would be incredible on a nice day

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
What's HEP?

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

NoWake posted:

Head-end power, so the cars behind can have air conditioning and lights. It's a generator that runs independent of the unit that powers the traction motors. Without HEP, cars behind would need to be built with their own power generators to keep cool.

Neat, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

drunkill posted:

Normally the truck incidents in Footscray are oversize loads hitting the Napier st bridge 200m to the South and causing trains to be delayed until the bridge is inspected.

Bridge strikes cause drama in Melbourne every second day it seems. The other day someone managed to strike every single individual structure underneath Richmond station before getting stuck around 1pm. No trains for an hour. 3/4 of the network was hosed until sunset.

The frequency of strikes is remarkable