Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Done sounds like y'all done gunna infringe on them thar parsn'l libertahs like that? :clint:

shut the gently caress up

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

Amtrak does still have flag stops, but doesn't list them on the schedule as such. Part of the shift was around the general move away from being able to buy tickets onboard. This pretty much eliminated flag stops for boarding, although the crew knows to keep an eye out just in case someone happens to be hanging around on the platform at the stations they know they can pass because there's no one on the manifest for getting on or off.

The only three I know of off hand are Thurmond (WV), Essex (MT), and L'Enfant (DC), although L'Enfant is in a different category because it doesn't even show up as a possible station.

i don't think amtrak lists flag stops as such but i know the Cardinal has one at Crawfordsville, IN and another one in WV (other than Thurmond).

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Full Collapse posted:

It’s always irritating seeing people claim this or that is for the poors. There are people around the Chicago metro area that choose to drive into the city because, to them, even Metra is for poor people.

metra is the only train service that runs farther south than 95th street so they're kinda right (not that there's anything wrong with poor people using transit)

Also i loving hate metra for other reasons (almost no connectivity to the L, rarely stops in the city so you have to commute to somewhere else first)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Noosphere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANl_MV-yZcE

Watching this, it's honestly shocking how loud these commuter trains are.

What is the purpose of the bell ? I can just about understand it's use in a rail yard, but here we see trains that are on their own track, yet ringing that bell. Also, it's purely esthetic, but are the hazard stripes really necessary ?

In general, it seems to me that US rail regulations make trains seem more dangerous than they actually are, and therefore cause other problems, such as noise pollution.

I mean, this is to me what a commuter train should sound like :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F_cIM1Wb_g

tbf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qO3XEjm7Ac&t=48s

edit: we should just replace metra with the el, problem solved :eng101:

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 17, 2023

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I'm pretty sure it was one of either new york or chicago that painted their cars that way and then sold off the old ones when they got new ones and those got entered into service elsewhere and cream over green became the default color. Now they both use boring stainless steel

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Saukkis posted:

That makes sense within US, but those most likely didn't end up in Helsinki, Melbourne or different Japanese cities.

its not *that* hard to believe. PCC cars (built by and for us tram operators) ran in Barcelona and Sarajevo

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

switzerland is the florida of europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

and the new england of europe? that's right: france