Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm in Japan right now. I plan on heading (by rail) up to Tokyo. Any specific requests? I may be able to hit some tram lines, a monorail, and the shinkasen easily. There's a JR line and a keikyu line nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Strawberry posted:

Anyone?

My friends are surprised I took this job and plan to stick with it, considering I have a degree. From what you guys say about managers it seems like the better option to start at the bottom rather than go straight into management.

TBH, it sounds like any large, subsidized workforce. The management is less than half the age of most of the workforce, so they don't know how the job really works. They know what they've been trained.

You keep a thick skin. When someone calls you a douche-swilling cock-gobbling colostomy bag, just take that as "hey, pal." If they didn't like you, they wouldn't talk to you at all. You really, truly, in fact, know nothing about the way they really work; attempting to get the way you're told they work and the way they think they should work to coincide is your job, and you're VERY well paid for it. Basically nothing. Ask them what their job is. Ask your boss what your workers' jobs are. Tell your workers you're making their jobs the way they think they should be. Tell your boss you're making their workers' jobs the way they think they should be [ambiguity deliberate]. Get raise. Get your boss's job. Get lied to by college grads, collect fat paycheck. Get promoted. Get lied to by people who are paid to lie to people who want to believe they're not being lied to, but got to their position by lying to people in your position.

This is the way of the militaryrailroad.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Japanese youtube ad while browsing cat videos. I watched the whole thing. No clue what's going on, but it's a well-designed piece of media.

http://youtu.be/oCsMNgzT8lA

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Clarence posted:

Some basics of steam operation, with doubtless many tangents along the way. This has turned out to be much longer than expected, so it'll be just the burning of coal in a locomotive in this part and I'll cover steam itself later.

This is great, and I just spent a couple hours going through everything in this series and figuring it out.

It's cool that the reversing bar is the primary means of speed control, with the throttle/regulator being left full-open most of the time while the train is running.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tex Avery posted:

I've heard this is still true today on those locomotives that the Durango & Silverton uses. I've only hand bombed a steam locomotive once, and that was more than enough for me. I prefer nice little oil flow controls, thank you very much.

I know someone that works at the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad; they use the same types of engines. One is starting service "soon" (as in, this year) after having been converted to oil. Want I should ask about the "sucks the coal off the shovel?"

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A pretty good look at the Iron Horse Roundup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhujBHBLf0
My parents were there and spent a bunch of time in the workshop taking pictures of "anything complicated or greasy" by my request. They've got a 1TB flash drive full of .raw images on its way to me for curation. I may post some pictures in the thread.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFLb1IPlY_k

Trains! Maths! Graphs! Trains!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Noosphere posted:

What's the inspection interval for freight wagons in the US ?

LOL to LMAO, probably.

There's a bunch of news coming out about how reasonably senior people have been pencil-whipping inspections to get more loads moved with less budget. The recent spate of accidents should provide some news articles about when stuff SHOULD have happened and whether or not it ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

vains posted:

Combat engineers breach obstacles under fire. That’s their job. With enough explosives and horsepower, you can accomplish almost anything.

Former USSR states use a different coupler style than US roads anyways. The benefit of not modernizing RRs until the third generation of coupler technology. It’d be hard for any US railroad employee to offer much thoughtful analysis on the matter.

Would it make sense to not attack the coupler, then? Hit the middle of the car and just let the tough bits designed to withstand all the weird forces stay at the ends of the car?