Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

The Cubelodyte posted:

My favorite has always been this big son of a bitch. Every time I go to the railroad museum in Sacramento I can easily spend an hour just staring at it. It's massive. It's a huge monument to American heavy industry and a time Real Men did Big Things. I love it.

^^^
That was probably my favourite engine in that museum. Picture fails to convey how loving imposing it is. :rock:

Though not a trainspotter/"railfan" (:catstare:), having grown up with the Rev'd Awdry books and having been to the National Railway Museum a few times, I have a thing for Gresley engines, my favourite of which is (inevitably?) the A4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

auzdark posted:

Are there any UK Goons here that can give some info (and the name) of the steam train that went and rescued all the stranded commuters in London or something during the huge snow storm that crippled the diesel and electric trains?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8428097.stm

There were programs on it last year - it was new-built by enthusiasts (with a lot of time on their hands I guess). With links to their website.