Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

MrYenko posted:

Where in Australia do you work?

That's California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

CSX operates in Mass., just not any further north really. CSX is investing a lot of money on the east coast up to NYC in anticipation of the Panama Canal widening and is building a new terminal(or rebuilding an older one) in Massachusetts somewhere.

BN and/or UP guys: How do you number/letter your trains? I've had it explained to me before but I don't remember because it was my 2nd day on the job.

Q CHISBD6 23L that's a train running right now Q = guaranteed priority intermodal CHISBD = Chicago to San Bernardino

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Generally around here they just drag it out as the train moves, leave it alongside the track where it's going to be used.

Then various methods are used to put it in place. I think my favorite is this mindblowing magic machine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUOUXnuCLOU

The most effective and safest method is using whats caledl a RUM truck. (Rail Unloading Machine) It is basically a mack type truck with hy-rail wheels attached to it. It has a knuckle and air hoses and will attach to the back of the train cars. A large hydraulic boom is on the back of the truck, with a track the will clamp the rail. This boom will feed the rail from the train cars to a set of wheels that propel the rail onto the ground. Men at the half way point of the train use an impact wrench to unbolt the rail from the cars, held simply by two large bolts and a flat piece of steel clamping the rail to the car. The old process was a chain through the end of the rail, then wrapped around a tie in the track and the train pulled forward. But this was dangerous, and replaced.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

I need to bid on a steel gang. I'm getting bored of doing ties.

Up here in Northern California we have places where there are 2 mains, and one will be all concrete ties, and the other is wood. Seems like they were testing to see how they held up.

I can't do the gang work, too much like a factory for me. But the money is there. Section work is where its at for me.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

More time for coffee breaks and sitting in the truck?

Sorry, I have to pick on ya guys.

Exactly! Wouldn't have it any other way!

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

NoWake posted:

Holy poo poo, I covered for the Roadmaster of this very subdivision for about a month last August. This line is very, VERY busy with most trains running close to the track speed of 60/80mph. It's miraculous there was no loss of life, and thank god it wasn't an Amtrak coming through. The mainline tracks in NY are inspected at least every other day, and I can tell you personally that the inspectors of the Fonda sub are on the ball. The tracks themselves were in great shape last I came through, but the culverts I can't really speak to. Not much mud or standing water, anyway. The tracks run right along the Mohawk River, a sinkhole could have opened up from a hard rain coming down the hill... but inspectors are always required to patrol during/after a flood watch. I'm not in the area anymore, maybe a watch wasn't issued?

Not to bring E/N into this, but wrecks like this is what kept me up at night and ultimately led me to leave the railroad. It's an incredibly stressful and demanding career, the hours are long and the ramifications of your decisions are serious. I loved the work, but I did nothing else. It really takes a special kind of person to thrive in that environment.

e: tracks are pretty far from the river, but there's a culvert right there. There's also a crossover and a turnout pretty near the scene... very interested in knowing the true cause of this :ohdear:

Hey NoWake, I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about working for your company, vs the RR that I work for?
If you don't mind, my email is dan.kleman AT gmail.com
Thanks

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

We had a guy in a backhoe fatally injured after a train hit him. Stay safe out there everyone.

Where are you working at now?

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

RP18, San Bernadino sub, getting close to Pico Rivera.

Right on your kinda close to me. Stay safe out there.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

I have learned rather quickly that the less responsibility I have out here, the better. I work to live, not live to work. Sure, it is very easy to move up if you want it, but it comes with stress and negative side effects.

I see so many guys out here that make the railroad their life, and I can't help but feel like they are gonna be the first ones to keel over after retirement.

I think a big thing is what you do after work and on the weekends, if you stay active and eat well then you might be better off. I recently promoted to the management side from the craft (went from hourly to salary) and while there is a bit more stress on certain days, most of the days are much better than when I was in the craft (MoW). Weds and Thurs of this week I played golf with roughly 100 other supervisors, ate nice steak dinners and had unlimited alcohol all on the companies dime. Mean while my guys shot 15 thermite welds, inserted a ton of ties and got told they must mandatory work the weekend. There are days when I miss the craft, and I still pay my union dues just incase, but I think that getting out of swinging a hammer, cutting rail and standing 5 feet away from trains on a daily basis will help me 30 years down the line. Don't take the job personally, use your drive home to unwind, and have fun at home with you family and it goes a long way. I will enjoy grilling out and golfing this weekend while my crew is installing 3 crossovers with 12 hour windows both days. If an IJ fails at 2 in the morning I get a call about it, call my foreman and he gets a crew together an handles it. I go back to sleep in my nice bed at home. If they don't do their job, or if they mess something up then it comes down to their choices and I will take the appropriate action, it's no skin off my back. Z train is late, oh well my guys have an overstay, oh well. The railroad will continue to run without me, without my boss, and without my team, we just help it run better. Don't let the stress get to you…it's just a job.

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Strawberry posted:

I'm glad you posted all that, recently I've just been letting poo poo get to me, it just seems like everyone else is trying to save the drat railroad. I was wondering what happened to you.

Speaking of management, what are the chances of a guy with a non-engineering degree and 1 and a half years in the craft becoming a roadmaster? Everyone is telling me I could.

It is very likely, PM me and there is something that I think you should try if you are serious. I only had 2 and a half years on the RR with no degree and I promoted up. The big thing is having a leadership role on the hourly side, like a head welder, foreman or track inspector. They want leaders out of the craft to promote so its an easier transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Anti-Dentite!
Oct 15, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I found myself looking up and reading about SmartConsist, since I had never heard of it (non-railroad employee / railfan here). During my readings, I looked at how railroads are trying to cut fuel costs, and one of the ways mentioned involved lubricating the rails to lessen track adhesion. Isn't that somewhat counterproductive for safety, since it seems that it would lessen braking forces from the locomotive and the cars when slowing down? Also, wouldn't it lessen the ability of the locomotive to accelerate, causing wheel slipppage when it's trying to accelerate the train? Also, do railroads care about pollution on the roadbed, or do they not really give a poo poo?

So what you are talking about is call top of rail lubrication. Basically there are two main types of railroad friction management (lubrication). Gage face, which is a thick graphite based grease that is applied between the flange of the wheel and the gage face (inside) of the rail. There are a few reasons for this. One is it greatly increases the life of the rail, simply because as a truck goes through a curve, the flange of the wheel is applying a great amount of wear on the rail. Second is increased fuel savings, the less friction and the less wear, the less work the engine has to do. Third is it makes the curves quiet, if you have ever been around a train going through a curve with a decent degree of curve, it is a terrible noise. Typically these units are based off wheel counts, on average about 16 wheels per revolution of the grease pump. There is a layer of carpet that is designed to catch the grease, and it should be changed out at least every six months to help keep everything clean. There are also plastic trays that sit under the grease bars (where the grease come out) to catch the over flow.

The second type is a top of rail (TOR) lubricator. This applies a biological friendly grease to the top of the rail. The grease has the consistency of vegetable oil, and a organism called bio mat is laid on the ties and ballast that eats the oil to prevent it from soaking in. The main idea behind top of rail is fuel usage reduction. A steel wheel on a steel rail is very low friction, I've read that people can push a train car on a flat piece of track. Now lets say a train is running through arizona, with very little grade, very gradual curves, and no real reason to stop. A TOR makes perfect sense in nice stretches of tangent track. A thin layer of lubrication between the rail and the wheel reduces friction and decreases rail and wheel wear. These also work on a wheel counter, and may only cycle once every 32 wheels.

If traction becomes an issue, the engineer can use sand to gain traction, and if it is a common problem, then the unit may be turned down. The railroad I work with has done an extreme amount of research on friction management, and I spent a while in the field with the systems. I can speak first hand that on the track side, the amount of rail defects, rail wear and rail breakage is much less when greasers are used.

Remember that when a train is moving efficiently, its momentum allows it to coast for periods of time, making traction for acceleration irrelavent. When it comes to braking, the brakes on the motors are only half the method to stop, the electric motors also assist in slowing the trains.

If a train dumps into emergency, the brake shoes are going to get so hot that anything on the wheels will burn off or be removed from force.

There are some areas where we don't lubricate. Road crossings and grades are the main areas. Grease near road crossings can cause activation issues, and on grades you want traction.