Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

So when something like that happens, how do they clean up the mess? Do they repair the trains or just trash them? Or maybe it's like a car where it depends on the damage? I would vote repair seeing how heavily they are built, but I don't know much about the subject

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
You know, I think I like this thread. I have never thought twice that a gate could simply be not working. I live in Bethel, CT and the downtown area has tracks going right through it. I pretty much ignored them (unless they were operating) until I read all this stuff about why people get hit by trains.

Here is a map of the crossing.

Street View

Notice it is in the middle of a bend. You can't really see much down the tracks in either direction. Luckily the presence of a station a little down the line means the trains aren't moving all that fast. (~30-40mph)

Thanks LI, even though this sounds a bit of an exaggeration, you may have saved a life.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

nm posted:

I want to post a picture of the railroad crossing across a (controlled access) freeway (Beltline) in Madison, WI. Try stopping for that and not causing a 50 car pile up.
Can't find a photo though :(

Hmm, I don't see anything on Google Maps where a railroad and the Beltline intersect. Though there are three railway underpasses. But looking around I found a few retarded crossings in the area:

John Nolen Dr.

John Nolen Dr. (again)

South Broom St

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Gorilla Salad posted:

Another kind of railroad, courtesy of EnglishRussia.com

Who thought that was the best way to solve that problem?!?