Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

ijustam posted:

http://www.ctnow.com/news/hc-train-accident-bill-0602-20110601,0,7823896.story

That bill is going to have a lot of zeroes on it :a2m:

From what I've read on a rail forum (railroad.net), those trains have recording devices that are similar to the "black boxes" on aircraft. In some of the comments left for articles about this incident on the web, people are bitching about this potential bill. They're saying that they should complete their investigation first before declaring the woman liable for the damages to the locomotive. It must not have been too hard for the investigators to look at this equipment and know for sure that yep, this woman ignored the train horn. They should make this public so people will know that it was her fault and not big bad Metro North. It is terrible for someone to get into a collision like this, but some people can be kind of dumb sometimes. Look both ways before crossing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
The public should be told to treat railroad crossings just like any other intersection where the crossing traffic has the right of way. It doesn't seem that driver's education gets that point across to people enough. I will concede the fact that there may be some crossings that are a little more dangerous than others, but you can pretty much eliminate the risk if you follow the rules. Trains have the right of way. They can't swerve, nor can they stop quickly. Of course no one can know what all the facts are in these terrible accidents, but I will bet that the majority of the automobile drivers didn't use their common sense and follow the rules when they entered the path of the train. More driver education is needed I guess, but some people just can't be taught.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Hey so is anyone else sick of Railroad.NET? There are occasionally great threads about interesting topics, but it's mostly foamers jacking off to one another. There should be a rule that you are permanently banned if you post a train number, it would clear the aspies out right quick.

It's gotten a little better since Jeff Smith took over as admin. Otto Vondrak seemed like a whiny bitch in some of his posts, and loved to close threads while making huffy little comments. I like hearing the stories some of the old timers tell of their days on the job, usually pretty interesting stuff. You're right though, there's a lot of people on there who think they know everything.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

Any of you guys live in or around Sacramento, CA?

Get there and tour this place: http://www.csrmf.org/

My wife and her friend wanted to go when we visited Cali this winter. Totally worth it. See the movie upstairs too.

Really fun place to go. I went with my my ex-girlfriend, and we apparently didn't realize that you were supposed to tour the exhibits in a certain direction. We realized something was wrong after trying to walk against the flow in the narrow rail car aisles.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Geoj posted:

So do railroads share engines as well as rolling stock? Here in Ohio I've been seeing BNSF units pulling trains on CSX/NS lines, and according to the system map on BNSF's website they don't go any further east than Chicago.

Not totally sure, but I think there are leasing agreements among the railroads. Here are some BNSF units on a CSX train in New York: http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=190480

Here in the Northeast, the Providence and Worcester Railroad purchased some former BNSF locomotives. Check out the paint scheme they came up with: http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=190593 The normal company paint scheme is on the other unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

Red Marx posted:

This is the perfect opportunity to post one of my favorite train pictures I've taken. It's not really going to give you an engineering boner, but it does well to represent the great relationship that some places have with rail.

http://imgur.com/pNtBx
Rocky Neck State Park in Connecticut.

I always liked going to Rocky Neck as a kid, mainly to watch the trains. This was before the Acela electrification. At that time the old telegraph poles were still standing, and there was no security fence. I'm surprised there weren't accidents there, as it was easy to get to the ROW. There is also a pedestrian bridge up near the WPA-built pavilion that crosses over the tracks. It always seemed so high up as a kid, but it really isn't that high. All in all a nice place to explore and see a few trains go by.