Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
I loving love GG1s.

My dad worked for Pennsy and later SEPTA (and now he works in Disney Word :laugh:) and I live near Philadelphia so I have a lot of affection for the railroad.

I live only a couple blocks from the NEC and, trust me, there's nothing more of a rush then sitting around at one of the SEPTA stations for a couple hours and waiting for Acelas, Regionals, and stuff coming up from the South to rush by at near 100 mph. I love how you can hear the catenary vibrating before the train comes, and all of the sudden -- WHAM! The entire ground rumbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

SouthLAnd posted:

I remember when this happened, it wasn't too far from where I live.

Killed 5 people.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/07/09/national/main5147200.shtml

Oh god you can almost see their faces before they're crushed to death.

I love the YouTube comments with idiots -- all claiming to be the :airquote:victims':airquote: friends -- claiming that it "wasn't their fault," "the gates weren't working," and "WHERE R U BITC IM GONNA gently caress U UP U DISRESPECTIN MY FRIENDZ U DONT EVEN KNO RIP."

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Geoj posted:

People like that kill me. In 2005 in a city just north of where I live a 16 year old girl was killed at a railroad crossing when she attempted to cross immediately behind a southbound train and walked right into the path of a northbound train that through some freak occurrence happened to go through the crossing just as the other train was clearing it.

For about two weeks afterwards there were protests at the crossing every weekend with the protesters carrying signs saying "CSX kills kids" (etc.) and throwing rocks and eggs at trains as they passed through.

It definitely seems a freak occurrence for freight, but out here in SEPTAland it happens every evening rush hour at my station. The outbound train is pulling out and a hoard of idiot commuter-drones are crowed around the pedestrian grade crossing, meanwhile an inbound train is about to pull into the station. Unfortunately the inbound train is blocked from view by the outbound one, so it's real easy to get killed.

To solve the issue, SEPTA has a special operading order which requires the outbound train to wait for the inbound one to pull into the station before throttling up. Unfortunately, the engineers seem to love death and destruction because once every other week they just roll on out. I know for a fact someone died in this scenario a couple years ago :(.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

If they are new locomotives, then this is exactly what I was told about. The Chinese are buying durable goods like crazy with their "extremely stable no reason to worry" US dollars. I hauled a train of like 320 top of the line john deers tractors a while back. Just one of many trains like it. All bound for china. They have had the money for years but never bought on this scale before.

Imagine if you could drive those trains across the sea!

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

What exactly do you want the RR to do? Even if you remove all grade crossings in the US you're still going to have idiots walking on the tracks and playing with RR equipment.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Stupidity knows no bounds. I caught some kids on video crawling under an actively switching train at the MBTA station in Ayer, Massachusetts. Two of them crawled under it before I started filming then the other two followed them. Why? So they wouldn't have to walk 500 feet to cross the tracks on a nearby bridge or wait for the train to clear the crossing.

Link: http://youtu.be/5uXq0ZOQU1c?hd=1&t=3m34s

Down here in Philly we have a pedestrian and bike trail that follows the Schuylkill River which is separated from Center City by a very active CSX line. It's common for trains to block the grade-level city-to-trail ramps for hours at a time, but that doesn't stop Darwin Award-wannabes from just climbing over the railcars at the couplers. CSX has been sued and summoned to install additional ped bridges, but you still have to wonder how lazy and unaware people can be when they can access the trail via a couple bridges without endangering their lives.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Geoj posted:

^
If the train is truly blocking the ramps (as in, not moving) for "hours" I don't think passing through the cars at the couplers is on the same plane of stupidity as crawling under the cars when the engine is spooled up, getting ready to move. Would you say that crossing a gridlocked three lane highway is equally as stupid as crossing the same highway when traffic is moving at ~65 MPH?

Also if they're parking the trains across the grade-level crossings and its never acceptable for someone to pass through the cars, then why not just do away with the crossings entirely? From your description it sounds like they're blocked more often than they're open.

You probably won't know if the engine is spooled up, ready to go at the trail because the locos are far away from the crossings. Personally, I will always use the bridge crossings rather than hopping over a coupler. The best part is that the idiots usually have bikes with them, which would make a frantic jump even more nasty if the train were to accelerate.

I can't give you exact stats on what percentage of time there is a train blocking the crossings as I am not a :spergin: like the people on Railroad.net. All I can tell you is that there have been plenty of legal battles over the crossings and they are gradually being replaced by ped overpasses.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Hey so is anyone else sick of Railroad.NET? There are occasionally great threads about interesting topics, but it's mostly foamers jacking off to one another. There should be a rule that you are permanently banned if you post a train number, it would clear the aspies out right quick.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

I love hearing the stories about old-time rail. And as an ex-SEPTA commuter I love reading that board to hear about the ins-and-outs of the system. It's the people who literally obsess over seeing certain cars, bitch about transit line expansions that will never happen, and jabber on about pointless subjects that even pedantic train nuts don't give two shits about that drive me crazy. I used to read/post every day but now I stop by once a week at best.

And yes, Otto was a gigantic douchebag. He closed threads for no reason and sent me numerous warning PMs after I posted very tame complains about certain posters/threads.

E: It also makes me kind of :smith: when I realize that a lot of the foamers on RR.NET must not have jobs, children, wives, or anything else interesting in their lives, because all some of them do is go take pictures of trains all day (calling chuchubob).

Fixed Gear Guy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 16, 2011

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Every time I hear stories of people like that, my mind just goes :wtc: and wonders what type of person actually gives a poo poo about those minute details.

E: for content. From some pics I've seen of freight loco cabs, it seems many engineers and/or conductors smoke like fiends. Do you ever enter a cab and find it filthy disgusting with cigarette ash, leftover food, or other junk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Das Volk posted:

The Onion is hit or miss these days, but this is so spot-on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM

That was absolutely perfect :D.