Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
HO scale represent

I love all the pictures in this thread, especially the futuristic 30's - 50's streamliners. And the steamers. And the trains stuck in snow. And the GG1s and and and all the other things!
I was also kind of wondering whether any goons had any interest in model trains and whether there could be a thread for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Ether Frenzy posted:

I keep wanting to get one of the more modern games, for those of you have tried the more recent offerings, is Railworks2 the better choice? (over Trainz or MSTS?)
MSTS has lots of additional paid content, Trainz has the most free content, I believe, and Railworks looks a lot better than either of them and also runs a lot smoother than Trainz which seems to have had poo poo-all optimization done to it. As a downside there's less additional content available for Railworks since it's the newest one.

You'll hear fans of all of them come up with some more or less reasonable arguments for their favorite sim. There's not really a right or wrong choice, but I'd go with Railworks. It's newer, smoother, prettier and has quite a bit of content in the base game.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 4, 2011

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I wish they'd have more historical steam routes in that game. I love driving cool steamers that actually provide a gameplay challenge on routes short enough that it doesn't get boring, like Bath-Templecombe in Railworks. I don't see what's fun in monitoring a gauge or two for several hours which is what the modern stuff seems to be. It sounds boring in real life and even more boring in game. And you don't get paid for it.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

JingleBells posted:

NASA have a proper sized version of this - hello new wallpaper
The Soviets scaled this up for their moon rocket.

Yes, it goes on two tracks, with locomotives pulling or pushing it on both. You can see one on the upper left.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The derailing might have to do with running DC wheels on AC track. The flanges are a bit different. Often you'll be okay particularly with shorter cars and simpler points but sometimes you'll get derailments.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Concrete ties are used every where.... We have them on our freight lines, and to be honest they completely suck.

They work fine if the territory doesn't experience lots of frost, rain, and other related weather events. Basically they are awesome in the desert, but in the midwest and north? They just crumble. The UP is constantly replacing ties, and just can never get ahead.

The wood to concrete tie replacement has stopped.
That's curious. Here in Finland they replaced the wood ties with concrete on the mainline years ago and they seem to work fine. At least haven't noticed any regular trackwork going on.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah, the photo is framed so as to make the locomotive look as big as possible. Which is fair, your average photo rarely gives you the sense of scale of the real thing. I haven't seen the Big Boy personally but going just by the much smaller locomotives I've seen up close the photo probably does a good job.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They do update the graphics, just... not enough. I imagine it's a budget thing. Upgrading the engine and making a game's worth of assets is costly as all hell. Something like a CoD costs like $50 million to make sans marketing and I'm betting most of that goes to art assets.

I've played some train sims occasionally and besides looking kinda subpar they also tend to run badly. Train Simulator might be an exception to this, I'm looking at you, Trainz. :argh:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Last time I played around with Trainz (some years back, granted), there were some really pretty screenshots around too, but getting anything to work involved immense amounts of fiddling and tracking down missing dependencies. And in the rare case the downloader could find the hundreds of dependencies they wanted me to pay a monthly fee if I wanted to download it all without hitting a limit and at more than 10-100 kB/s.

I think I got a custom route that had actual scenarios working a grand total of one times. Also, yeah, everything ran at 20 fps if I was lucky and that's pretty bad. Has it changed? I just wanna drive trains around with some actual playable content in the form of missions and goals. God, give me a sandbox mode where you make money or get promotions to better trains or something. I've had more fun with Euro Truck Sim than train games and I have zero interest in trucks, it's just that it has gameplay - something to actually do with the vehicles being simulated.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Cygni posted:

Now that I've looked it up, I think the Empire Builder is actually the biggest (normally) with 10-12 double decker cars as the normal set between Seattle and Chicago. Thats a pretty big passenger train.

Man, how heavy are these things? I'm used to seeing passenger trains invariably pulled by a single electric locomotive. They're never that long here (Finland) but even then how do 10-12 coaches take three locomotives?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
They did, but I think their purpose was more to research the aerodynamics of high speed trains rather than to ever be brought into normal use as such.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
We need some schienenzeppelin in here.

:getin:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Maximum speed: 230 km/h (140 mph)

I imagine if it hit, say, that steam locomotive there, the whole thing would turn into a thin grey mist.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Stop signs are commonly but not universally in English. :shrug:
Same deal in Finland.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
This is the one case where the unit makes no difference. :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Here in Finland the older cars built in the 70's just dropped it all onto the tracks but I'm pretty sure everything built since then has a tank.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Some source claimed that particular mill stopped using them in 2008. Either way, here's a pretty cool video from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i62-0YZw6dM

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MikeCrotch posted:

lots of smaller engines didn't work out too hot for the Soviets though

turns out having lots of small rockets as opposed to a few big ones make the rocket plumbing a lot more complicated and prone to failure
Well, more like not testing the engines and not ever testing the whole rocket before flight (because you don't have a test stand for it) makes it a lot more prone to failure.

At that point you're just lighting it up and hoping for the best, no matter what your engine layout is like.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

meltie posted:

More devices -> more moving parts -> higher chance of one failing per unit time.
Yes, but there's more aspects to the equation and it's much more complex than big engines > small engines. Is the rocket capable of withstanding an engine failure? If so, reliability may be increased by more engines. How much does launching more engines increase their reliability from the additional flight experience gained? What size do cost, thrust and other factors optimize for given your particular design constraints?

There's also some non-obvious factors, like how SpaceX's Mars plans only use one type of engine. Every launch gives you 52 engines worth of flight experience. By the time you're trying to land on Mars it's nice if the engine you're relying on in order to not splatter all over the landscape is one that has hundreds of successes under its belt, rather than one that's only ever been flown a few times.

Sorry for the derail. :v:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Don't think they're so much knockoffs as similar requirements leading to similar designs. There's only so many ways you can sensible arrange the bits of a diesel locomotive.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Finnish locomotives, at least the older ones, have a wheel for a throttle too. I thought I had a pic but instead I found this one.

The switches are labeled:
SAND HEATING
COFFEE HEATING
BACKUP

I dunno what exactly the backup switch does but I choose to believe it's a backup coffee heating system. (it might actually be a spare switch for whatever)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Generally the use case for high speed rail is routes shorter than crossing the US or something. I imagine it would be mostly a replacement for short haul flights.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Does transport infrastructure need to make a profit? It's weird that that is usually the standard on whether trains are worth it but nobody ever insists that roads should be profitable.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
A pretty common model is that a state-owned company handles the rail network and its maintenance.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Well if you're going to do that but want to have a less dense fuel source, you may as well put a diesel motor on wheels that the train can tow to make electricity? Or maybe have it built into it some way?
I don't know if this is :thejoke:, but that's what most diesel locomotives are, a diesel generator powering electric motors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_locomotive#Diesel%E2%80%93electric

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I have some but they're currently sitting in a box for lack of space.

I made those loads of coal by using a sieve of appropriate size to get H0-scaled sand and then glued it together and painted it.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 25, 2020

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Do buffer and chain couplers, as used in Europe and some other places, have any benefits regarding the complexities detailed in that post? I think they're tensioned together to not have so much slack, but I'm not sure how that would change things.

I know the reason these are used is that railways are turbo-conservative about new technology, even when "new" means "a century old". It honestly boggles the mind that there is no widely adopted automated solution to coupling trains, since even the "automatic" couplers require manually attaching the brake hoses.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Noosphere posted:

Great post ! I'll focus on this video for now. The processes haven't changed much in 75 years : there are simply more computers and far, far fewer people involved. Paper handling, of course, but also nearly every step of the yard work apart from (de)coupling, and inspecting the wagons for safety is automated. And there is a slow-moving project to implement totally automated Scharfenberg couplers for freight wagons. These would also allow for the automation of brake checks, as in modern passenger trains.
No matter how familiar I am with it, or how many times I read the reasons why, it's always really, really weird that railroad couplers are not fully automated in the year of our lord 2023. And of course here in Europe we've got real old school buffer and chain for the most part, but all the American and Russian automatic couplers still need manual brake hose connections anyway.

We were docking spacecraft together over 50 years ago!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

drunkill posted:

The newest class of tram, built over the last decade, the E Class (and E2 varient for the newer ones)

I like that in Helsinki they've kept to the color scheme for the new trams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Surely you can just go uncouple the coupler if you want to do that? Like, manually.