Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Note that in the interwar era in Europe things were the other way around. You had electric trains for low speed operations like freight and local passenger traffic, and steam power for high speed passenger lines.

Here you got an electric coal train from 43:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

jadebullet posted:

In reference to electric freight operations, I have blueprints for a proposed 3 part steeple cab locomotive designed for the Reading railroad for the purpose of pushing coal loads up the steep Mahanoy Grade.
I think I saw some of those too.
Doesn't it look just like the original Krokodil, just with some extra wheel under the cab?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Last page someone promised drawings of a proposed oversized steeplecar. Now in Europe those design is called Krokodil-style, after the famous swiss heavy fright steeplecar.
I was at the libary today and picked up a book about those, and there are a few drawings of unrealized designs.
The Swiss boilt a lot of articulated fright locomotives to get those heavy fright trains around the tight corners of the Gotthardbahn.

Here are three steam based steeplecars:

Remember we are talking about people who seriously built this:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That steam thing is a steam locomotive that was "cost effectively" refitted for electric power when Switzerland was low on coals during the war.

Here are two more fun drawings:

A design from 1931 by Maschienenfabrik Oerlikon with C+C+C drive. Each 3-axle-group is coupled by a rod and driven by 4 motors.

Here is the one that I actually remembered. Turns out I remembered wrong, it is a diesel-electric not an electric lok.

1934 designed by Sulzer.
The frame has five units (the motor-blocks are separate units as with a classic Krokodil ).
In the floating cabs are diesel motors.
Each of the wheel-cabs has a single e-motor driving the wheel group with rods, like in the classic.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Elukka posted:

Maximum speed: 230 km/h (140 mph)

I imagine if it hit, say, that steam locomotive there, the whole thing would turn into a thin grey mist.
At that time the speed records for electric or diesel trains were also around 210km/h.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Mental Hospitality posted:

This was a lengthy video, but it held my interest the entire time. Very fascinating stuff to someone that knows the basics of steam locomotives, or even someone that doesn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx9Q8PphAVo
In the recommended videos was a video called "The Pain Train" a documentary about British Rail from 1969. It made me think of Axeman Jim.
https://youtu.be/ttMN2iQCH1o

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Hopefully they will invent an engine that uses linear motors to drive pistons so we can get proper reciprocal locomotion instead of boring DC motors.
I think the rod driven electric locomotives replicate the important cool parts well.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Noosphere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYUIaebzNLs

A cool documentary of a german locomotive engineer who tracked down, bought and fully refurbished the only DB class 169, and now drives it for various jobs as an independant worker.

There was someone else doing this more extreme from 2001-2018. She bought two E94 units, built in '45 and '55. And ran them for almost 20 years, while making a profit.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_4U

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

If by "just" you mean after filing enough paperwork even scare most Germans.

Found a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ3MGgk0Jk4

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I don't live in an English speaking country so things might be different, but there is also a difference between the final stop of a line and the last stop for a train. Thought they are the same most of the time in which case both get announced.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In "German". Pretty funny that the main narrator seems to speak the most swiss German of all the people in the video.

Pretty cool video though. Don't miss out on the poo poo burning toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That's the kind of seating you see here on the regional trains near the entrance, for people who only ride for a short distance.

Bafflingly hard to find a picture of that part though.

The cursed thing are those minimal baggage racks. They are unusable for more then a summer jacket. The train feels totally full after half the seats have passengers, with their bags on the other half.

e: found one of my pics

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 28, 2024