Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh Russia, I love you so much but I'm glad I don't have to live there :allears:
Gas turbine jet engine, inside the body of a commuter bus, on top of a stripped down rail car.

That is the most hosed up snow plow. poo poo, that eclipses the jet-tanks/trucks they've got for airport duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Veins McGee posted:

One of my trains is delayed 2 hours because there was a portashitter on the mainline.

How, uhh. What needs to... why? Fell off a truck, maybe?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Well, I see BroJo and Grover are getting along famously.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Someone's been to Museum Sinsheim! :neckbeard:

I love that place. I haven't been to Germany in 14 years, but I'll probably go to Sinsheim when I go back. Last time it took my father and I two days to see everything we wanted to see. It's only an hour and a half away from the village.

e: drat, the village doesn't even show up on google maps :( Pretty sad when Mönchsroth over shadows your town.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 30, 2013

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Armored trains.

The "Krajina Express":

That is not just an M18 turret, that's a whole Hellcat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

To expand on the answer already given, diesels rely on the heat created during compression to ignite the air/fuel mixture. Because of this, you can't kill the ignition to turn one off like you could on a car - you have to starve it of either fuel or air. If your turbo starts leaking oil into the intake, then the engine will run on that and will rapidly climb to waaaay above redline, stopping only when either air or fuel runs out or when the engine disintegrates/seizes.

You'd figure a big, expensive diesel like that would have a mechanism to shut off the air intake. There are mining/oil field trucks with air shut-offs to prevent run-aways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NRaqgab0_w&t=90s

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Do any model railroaders gently caress with making setups based off the soviet railways? or do the model companies not produce much in the way of stock for that?

If you could find Soviet train bodies and mount them on Western bogies, that would be awful realistic. I think my father has a few old o-scale East German locos, I'll ask if he can dig them out of the attic. Oh hell, those would be great for an African set-up. Savannah to jungle. Good opportunity to practise "weathered" paint, too.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Remember us talking about train wheels w/ axle on semi-trucks? Found one in the wild: This Swedish trucker hauls them on a regular basis. Starts at about 4:50. Still don't understand it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Shoes came off. He ded.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

All Cabooses Are Beautiful.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

the L

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Tex Avery posted:

Back when I was a bright eyed, bushy tailed brakeman trainee, I was doing a trip on the head end one day and we nearly hit a cow. It was close enough, in fact, that I put my foot up on the front wall of the cab to brace myself for the impact I imagined we were about to feel.

We didn't hit the view, but I never lived down that gut reaction for the rest of my career at that railroad.

I'm reminded of a video from some frozen hell-hole, where the people in the cab started taking bets on which way the downed branches and trees they banged into would fall. Right *THUMP* Right again *THUMP* Mayyybe left *BANG* Loud noises, but no concern whatsoever in their voices.

I'm also reminded of a bizarre safety meeting we got when I was a teamster (bread delivery). The company brought in a railroad guy who started his spiel by downing a coke, crushing the can flat beneath his foot, and saying, "That's the difference in weight and momentum between a train and a semi-truck. It's also the difference in weight and momentum between a semi-truck and your little box trucks. Any questions?" Dude taught us a lot about trains, crossings, and caution in fifteen minutes, all with the aid of a wooden Brio toy train set (and one coke can).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Full Collapse posted:

Given that Bavaria is the Kentucky of Germany, I always figured Austria was Europe’s Alabama.

My dad, a Middle Franconian who carries his accent through four different languages, once made fun of my living in Alabama.

"...Hicksville".

"Dad. You are a villager from the middle of nowhere yourself. At least we have an airport."

"I never denied that. There's always the Austrians."

"That you share most of your dialect with."

"gently caress."