Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chenghiz posted:

its cool and good that we basically use the same locomotive everywhere now

time doesn’t go forward and our brains just get more smooth

They still haven't built as many SD70MACs as F7s, GP9s, GP38-2s, or SD40-2s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The bell is required by Federal law for any train moving near persons on the road ground in the vicinity. Basically the same thing as the backup beep on a truck.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Full Collapse posted:

Is it based on speed? I’ve been on passenger platforms when trains blast by at speed with no audible bell.

It is a bit tricky because the actual rule is written in such a way that it technically only applies to when people can foul the track. I know they don't ring the bell on the NEC when blasting through a station they aren't stopping at. Presumably, they're interpreting the rule to mean that people aren't able to foul the track on a high level platform. On the other hand, I've heard Amtrak crews turn on the bell going past a low level platform they're not stopping at. It is easier for someone to foul from a low level platform.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

BalloonFish posted:

Research and real-world evidence (much of it from America) has shown that the triangular pattern of lamps is much better at allowing people to gauge distance and approach speed than either single or paired lamps.

I believe it was the Canadians that first adopted the triangle and that they got it from, of all things, aircraft. Aircraft use five total lights in a pattern that only lets you see three at a time to convey everything you'd need to know about an aircraft's position and motion.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Wow, it takes a lot of whiskey to get a spider drunk

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I choose to believe the dog was driving

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nope, totally worth it.

The second or third time in your life, maybe, maybe not. The first time? Why deny yourself? I've done the Bernina Express before and would recommend anyone do it at least once.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The orange TGVs look so incredibly dated, but at the same time are unambiguously the correct color.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Saukkis posted:

Speaking of color, is cream yellow and green some kind of traditional color for trams? That has been the color scheme for Helsinki trams, but I have also seen pictures of Japanese trams with identical coloring.

I've never seen anything that declares that, but green and cream was all over the US too.

Cream and red was really common too. If you look up the PCC streetcars, most are one of those two. DC was a slick cream and teal though.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Saukkis posted:

My initial thought was that some iconic tram city would have used these colors and work as an example, but I can't think of what city it could have been.

Maybe not a tram.

In the 1890s in both the US and UK, Pullman painted their sleepers a dark green with a cream band at window level. "Pullman" was enough of a byword for luxury railroad travel that it was well known outside of the countries that Pullman operated in. Some cities even had regional slang that referred to bigger trams as Pullmans. It is possible that they were intentionally mimicking Pullman's livery.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The E60CP was lots of things, but beautiful was not one of them.

Neither was the E-44.

Or the GM6C

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I suspect not, but more that whatever you're pushing against is going to fail way before you need the couplers to fail.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

About 12 years ago, WMATA was using organic brake pads that smelled like fish.

Metro spokesman said that wasn't true, but other internal sources basically said that was a lie and that it was the brake pads.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I always love the use of "ELECTRONIC BRAIN" in the back then days. Makes you think there's some clean room with this ominous white machine with a clear plastic dome containing an array of flashing lights and glowing tubes, with a name like Colosson or something.

Somewhere I have a PR booklet from the opening of the PRR Conway yard, which was the first computer controlled yard in the US. Maybe the world even. Pretty sure it says electronic brain more times than computer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Years ago, before my first trip to Switzerland, one of my friends said "you'll love Switzerland. That place is the Texas of Europe."

I feel this assessment is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

As a Texan living in Switzerland, no, it very much isn’t. The Mexican food is far worse, for one.

You have to recalibrate for Europe-ness.

A country with people carrying guns around and cattle, plus the occasional SUV.