Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MrChips posted:

Yeah, "This is That" is a satirical program, and a hilarious one at that because they are so deadpan about it. I mean the top headline on their CBC page right now is how the federal government is going to spend millions to baby-proof the House of Commons.

Man, the Conservatives are really serious about bringing in new blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Axeman Jim posted:

"Mwuhahahahaha!!"

Awesome effortpost, as usual. Best part is that train is called the "Problem".

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Amtrak's new Acela that's coming out next year:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/first-look-new-acela/

I mean at least the train will be a prettier place in which to still go 30mph through northern Connecticut.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Noosphere posted:

So I've started working for SBB Cargo. Tons of new things to learn, many new people to meet, new tools to discover. It's a whirlwind, but it's a lot of fun.

Please feel free to ask questions about railroading in Switzerland in general, and freight transport in particular. I'll answer to the best of my abilities. I can't dive into the details of most activities, since I have a managerial position and am therefore somewhat removed from the actual railroading work.

Hey, congrats! I've only ever been exposed to the passenger side of SBB but they seem extremely competent.

Do the freight routes cover the same beautiful passes and such as some of the passenger trains, and if so do you ever get an excuse to ride along?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Noosphere posted:

After a break, we left for Geneva with a passenger train, but due to heavy delays, missed our initial connection, and got every further delayed (it was a really really bad day for passenger rail, with a 15 minute delay on mainline trains).

As a former frequent Amtrak rider (and not just the NE corridor), one of the best things about living in Switzerland now is that fifteen minute delays really are considered a very bad day.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Forgive me if station posts, rather than the trains themselves, are off-topic, but thought the thread would appreciate:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Noosphere posted:

Allow me to be pedantic : it's an ETR 610. For the Milan-Geneva Eurocity, SBB runs part of these trains (designated RABe 503 Astoro), and Trenitalia the others.

On to other things : according to the newspapers, last thursday, a wheel exploded on a freight car going through the Gotthard Base Tunnel (the Swiss Transportation Safety Investigation Board told the press today that they found wheel fragments several kilometres from where the train came to a stop). The end result is that 23 cars derailed at 100km/h as the train was going through the Faido multi-function station, which allows trains to switch from one tube to the next. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but the damage is spectacular, and the Gotthard tunnel will be shut for at least another week. Passenger trains and light domestic freight trains can go over the summit line, but all the heavy international freight is backed up from Genoa to Hamburg and back.

A) I’ve been on that route a few times. First, is it just me or are the seats worse than any other SBB train? Also, can the Italian café car staff teach the Swiss how to pull an espresso, please?

B) Now that we’re a little while out, just how utterly hosed is the Gottardo? Apparently they have one tunnel open for freight, but they’re saying it’ll be months until they can run passengers through.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Noosphere posted:

A) I can't really comment on that, because the one time I got onboard the Milan-Geneva Eurocity, it was a Trenitalia unit. Also, please respect Swiss-style coffee :colbert:

Never!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Chenghiz posted:

its cool and good that we basically use the same locomotive everywhere now

time doesn’t go forward and our brains just get more smooth

I mean hello from Stadler FLIRT-opia, formerly known as “Europe.”

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Nobody watching will care, the railfans will wait for Murder on the Orient Local for the spotting at the smaller stations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Have occasion to cross the alps this spring. Thinking of taking the bernina pass but lots of places online say just take the regional trains and change in St Moritz, reserving a seat in the special tourist car isn’t worth it. Anyone confirm/deny?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Kandersteg’s no Orlando, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sash! posted:

Years ago, before my first trip to Switzerland, one of my friends said "you'll love Switzerland. That place is the Texas of Europe."

I feel this assessment is correct.

As a Texan living in Switzerland, no, it very much isn’t. The Mexican food is far worse, for one.