Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
If you get hit by a train it is your fault. I don't care if there are crossing gates working or not. The train isn't going to swerve to hit you, they run on tracks. I cross a railroad crossing by my home multiple times per day. I always stop to look regardless of gate position and regularly get honked at for slowing down and stopping. If other people want to trust the gates that's fine but i will check for myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
Like i said, stop and look both ways. The train runs on tracks and if you look for a train at crossings you will see it and you will be able to avoid it. It is traveling on tracks after all.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geoj posted:

I'm not talking about random jackasses playing on the tracks or running around gates. I'll give you that a high percentage of railroad fatalities are most likely the fault of the victim, but I don't think its as cut and dried as some are making it out to be. If it is so cut and dried that 100% of railroad accidents/fatalities are the fault of the victim, why not just grant the railroads blanket immunity to litigation?

In the case of my friend's father, I know that the train was doing 70 when it was supposed to be doing 30, was under the control of a trainee and the accident occurred at a crossing with a malfunctioning gate. Are you saying that none of those conditions could have factored into his demise?

The train was doing 70, something that big going that fast makes a lot of noise. I don't blindly trust the gate for that exact reason, if it's not in operation you don't know until you get hit. If you stop at the tracks that you can't clearly see down then you can be sure there isn't a train coming to run you over. The train always runs the same route, it's on tracks. Part of the problem is everyone relying on crossing gates and lights. I completely agree that crossing gates are important but so is personal responsibility. It's your life so take a second and slow down and look both ways for blind crossings regardless of whether there is a gate or not.

They put up stop signs at a couple by my house recently since they are on side roads and aren't busy enough to warrant lights or gates. The stop sign is a nice touch because it forces you to look instead of just blindly flying over the tracks. There are at least four sets of tracks within a mile or so of my house. Watching out for trains is a daily occurrence for me.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
It runs on tracks, is that hard to understand? Look both ways before crossing and you get to live. Jesus loving Christ, i was taught at a young age that a train would end me if i didn't stop and look both ways before crossing tracks. If a train is moving 70 loving miles an hour it didn't go around a corner in the time it takes to stop and see it.

EDIT - Train derails and fucks you over, sue away. Once it leaves its tracks sue them until you get a cigarette boat. As long as it's on the tracks you have no excuse.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geoj posted:

I thought trouser chili made a good point -

I dug up this crossing based on the street number and "roofer's mart" sign on the right side. Observe:

Nice, big berm taller than the speed limit sign just next to the tracks, and you can't see too far down the tracks even sitting right in the middle of them. If a train was doing 70+ MPH through this stretch of tracks (which they probably aren't supposed to do), not blowing its horn because of the proximity to a residence and the crossing gate was disabled you might look both ways, proceed through and still get creamed.

As I pointed out, not every crossing has a half mile or more of unobstructed view in both directions.

People must get the gently caress killed out of them all the time there. Did you notice the curve there, the train is going to be going a reasonable speed so it doesn't take out an apartment building. I pass through a crossing with less than 100yds of visibility weekly, and i have been doing it for 12 years. I haven't been hit so i guess the stop and listen method still loving works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

Geoj posted:

There's one of these across US 250/30 in Wooster, OH. Can't find it on google maps as I believe the line may be inactive (crossing has "EXEMPT" signs on it,) but they do exist. And yes...stopping to look both ways before proceeding is just as dangerous as blindly trusting the gates in a 60 MPH zone. I get the feeling being rear-ended by a semi at highway speed is going to have the same effect as being broadsided by a train.

e: Just found it -

Street View

Satellite View

I cross those tracks on the way to Ashland all the time since i live on rt 43 outside of Canton. I've never actually seen a train there but i do slow down since you don't have a really good line of sight. I don't stop since it's a 50mph? freeway. The thing i'm loving though is the rest of 30 being built so i no longer have to go through Wooster to get to ashland, columbus, or huber heights.